Author Topic: A self-mulching orchard -First Year update.  (Read 1916 times)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
A self-mulching orchard -First Year update.
« on: June 25, 2018, 07:43:24 PM »
Last year I began establishing three raised beds of fruit trees interplanted with vegetables, herbs, and short term fruits like Banana and Papaya. The trees were planted on beds topped off with compost and well mulched.

This is what it looked like at first:

Later, I planted single stalks of lemongrass down each side of the beds at 1 foot (30 cm)spacing. During the first few months I grew watermelon, cowpeas, pumpkin and sweet potatoes in the sandy soil between each bed. Later, I mulched the pathways between each bed with chipped wood mulch obtained from a hurricane debris shredding operation.
The intent was to serve 3 purposes:
1. Produce a permanent source of mulch for each bed adjacent to where it would be used.
2. Stabilize the sides of the raised beds to prevent slippage of mulch down the sides.
3. Use the grass to produce some shade and a low windbreak over the beds.
4. Occupy the space alongside each bed to prevent other weedy plants from becoming established.

Here are two views of how it looked once the grass became established:

Last week after one year's growth I cut all the lemongrass and placed it across the beds. It made a very good mulch coverage and began regrowing immediately. I may be able to cut it once again this summer if needed. I believe that rather than 1 foot spacing an 18"(20 cm) spacing would be close enough. The particular clone of lemongrass used is common but I have built up a stock of a different sort which grows much taller and does set viable seed during our wintertime, I'll be testing that one out later this year.

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
Re: A self-mulching orchard -First Year update.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 08:30:07 PM »
Nice looking setup. I covered my whole yard with mulch and now want to plant something to chop and drop to eliminate buying fertilizer and move into a permaculture setup. Lemongrass seems like it would be a good crop. Ive interplanted ice cream beans but they dont grow that fast. Ive seen alot of people use vetiver grass. I also want to plant a lot of herbs to attract beneficial insects and ward off pests.

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 08:44:40 PM »
You guys might consider vetiver grass instead of or in addition to the lemongrass. http://www.vetiver.org/TVN_VS_GAL_PUB/VS_Agriculture_o.pdf
http://www.vetiver.org/

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 09:13:10 PM »
Nice pics.  Love the lemon grass, been meaning to pick some of that up at the grocery to grow.  I started growing mexican sunflower for chop and drop, it grows fast and is supposed to have a lot of nutrition.  Anyone have opinion on that one (Tithonia diversifolia)?  Moringa maybe could work well too if you can chip it.
Brad Spaugh

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 08:03:03 AM »
I do use the Tithonia and Moringa. They grow very well but don't exactly perform the way I wanted in this position. Neither of those also chip well unless sun dried a few days because they are too wet and clog up a chipper. The Tithonia has a core which could be an industrial substitute for styrofoam 'peanuts'. The cuttings of those two tend to re-root easily if buried then become a problem. I have tried growing Vetiver but it is far slower than lemongrass so far. I have no erosion problem but Vetiver might be better if you have a steep slope.

Tang Tonic

• US Virgin Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 10:19:16 AM »
Wow! That looks very nice.  You have been busy!  Looks like I should propagate more of my lemongrass and plant more of it! I really like the self-mulching orchard approach. 

I wish I could get my hands on some hurricane mulch.  Its been available in St. Thomas but not in St. Croix.  Go figure.  I heard they didn't do a good job of sorting out the trash from the vegetation. 

We are having quite the influx of Sargassum at the moment so I have been using some of that. 

meristos

• Caribbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 11:37:42 AM »
I do the same thing here for agroforestry purpose. The best grass for that job in our tropical climate is Panicum maximum cv Mombaça. Huge biomass producer, long lasting fibers. The soil underneath that mulch is just wonderful

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 06:49:27 PM »
You are on to a good thing and lots of original thinking but for blackening up Florida beach sand looking soil you need *more* wood chips. There is no substitute for this dense hard fibrous mass that also has trace minerals from its roots mining. Blackening up meaning more organic matter in the soil along with its mycorrhizal bacteria.

You have already dumped lots of wood chips. You might want more in the future. One small pickup truck bed full of wood chips will equal all your self mulching and for a few years on out.

Mechanized agriculture can grow dense enough green manure crops that will add significant humus to the soil. Or discing in last years corn stalks to produce humus. You are not in this situation.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:04:55 PM by zands »

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 06:50:27 PM »
What a great idea! Thanks for sharing the pics!

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 07:59:36 PM »
You have already dumped lots of wood chips. You might want more in the future. One small pickup truck bed full of wood chips will equal all your self mulching and for a few years on out.
Yes I know on 2 acres I've almost used up my 2,000 cubic yards of Irma mulch. It will run out by next year and I'll be down to a daily pickup loading workout every morning. I'll probably be stretching it with unprocessed yard waste pickups palm fronds, round wood, etc. Lay down that stuff then cover with the grass. On a farm I had 35 years ago in the Caribbean I did 2 acres with Guinea grass(Panicum Maximum). Grasses have a different carbon & mineral content than wood and working with both gives a diversity.

Matt, every Monday I kick myself for not sending that vetiver. I'll get round to it. Just so you know the project shown used 10 large 12" wide clumps of lemongrass and planted 960 linear feet, so about one large clump divides to plant about 100 feet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk