Author Topic: The Best Mango - On any given Sunday  (Read 6713 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: The Best Mango - On any given Sunday
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2018, 09:55:45 PM »
Agree :-)

Don't mind the mango snobs :-)

I've actually had some decent store mangoes: Ataulfo from Mexico tend to be good.

I appreciate Mexican Atulfo when all of my favorite mangoes are out of season and I'm jonesing for anything that is not a Tommy Atkins.   ;D
Jeff  :-)

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2018, 07:02:48 AM »
I prefer the antipation of the next Mango season rather than go the store bought route. Plus there are other good fruits to fill the void at different times of the year. In season when eating 8 to 10 mangoes a day you get your fill for the year. Even the best atulfo mangoes are worse than our early season Rosigolds.

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2018, 07:51:12 AM »
Of these top 3
E-4
Sweet Tart
Dot.
How diease Resistance are they to MBBS
Ive got 2 keitt trees want to top work, so looking for  something that will be easier to grow
Www.sailing-charters.org

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2018, 08:01:24 AM »
Of these top 3
E-4
Sweet Tart
Dot.
How diease Resistance are they to MBBS
Ive got 2 keitt trees want to top work, so looking for  something that will be easier to grow

Instead of posting in a bunch of random threads, probably best to start a new one.  I will add two things, since we are still really in a discovery phase, I would say noone knows for sure uf anything is resistant.   It does appear tbose varieties with a Julie descended may be a bit better, or at least slower.  Maybe consider Taralay.  From a backyard grower perspective  (you are not a commercial grove), I would grow the variety you want and maintain your trees to best prevent.

BTW, you do realize E4 has not been released.  I think people hear that the fruit has been sampled this tear by many so the trees are available....which is not the case.  In a best case scenario, trees would be ready by Spring 2019. 
- Rob

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2018, 08:37:46 AM »
Totally agree!  Get the fruit you really want rather then the best disease resistance. You are going to have to treat them with fungicide more than likely anyway, so get the winners for your tastebuds.

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2018, 07:41:20 AM »
Ok thanks guys,my problem is I'm gone out of country half the year during mango season, that's going to change to more time in FL starting next year, so keeping trees sprayed not working only half the time
Www.sailing-charters.org

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2018, 12:04:47 PM »
Cat Ram!  I grow Dot and even though it is a disease magnate, it can hold its own against any and all competition. I had a girl over for a taste testing comparing Peach Cobbler, Lemon Zest, and Dot. She had all three and could not pick a favorite for they all were great in a different way. I went back to them again and tried to get her to pick after 3rd and 4th tastings. They all were prime specimens so the comparisons were fair between them. Of the three, Peach Cobbler is the cleanest tree and fruit by far!

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2018, 04:06:42 PM »
Reference to E-4. Mr Zill told me last Friday at Fairchild that the earliest E-4 will go on sale is in the spring which is exactly what BS Bullie just said. We were listening to the mango expert from Israel Yuval Cohen and I was a few rows back to Mr Zill’s side. The guys behind him got up and moved so I grabbed the seat behind Mr Zill. He did not look back and see me. After a few minutes I tapped Mr Zill on the shoulder and whispered in his ear “why don’t you ask the guy from Israel how to say Sugarloaf in Hebrew. He got a big kick out of that!!!

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2018, 08:47:19 PM »
this year my fav was Beverly

Same here, my fav Home-Yard Mango Variety this year was also Beverly.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2018, 09:44:51 AM »
this year my fav was Beverly

Same here, my fav Home-Yard Mango Variety this year was also Beverly.
Are you growing any of the latter-day Zill varieties?
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk