Author Topic: Jaboticaba issue  (Read 1821 times)

popnull

• Ft Lauderdale
    • View Profile
Jaboticaba issue
« on: July 28, 2018, 01:33:06 PM »
Hi I planted this small tree back in January and it never really did well. I have not done much except just really left it alone. It's planted in a very sunny spot I wonder if the issues with it not really growing healthy looking leaves might be because it is in too much sun?

dmwong93

• Father Fruit
    • USA, Southern CA, Zone 10b, E. Anaheim
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticaba issue
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 01:40:41 PM »
Could be suffering from iron deficiency possibly due to pH imbalance in soil. Jabos' prefer an acidic soil; try giving iron and fixing pH. Also maybe if your water quality is poor like too high in calcium or salts.

popnull

• Ft Lauderdale
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 01:44:51 PM »
Do you think it's not getting enough water too? I just let the rain water it primarily. I don't normally water it.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 01:48:34 PM »
it look hot 'n' hungry.

feed organic fert, I like to use Espoma Tomato Tone or Holly Tone...don't go too heavy.

and make sure to water a lot.  If try to address pH issues and you use an iron product, it needs to be chelated Fe, not just regular Fe.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 01:49:27 PM »
Do you think it's not getting enough water too? I just let the rain water it primarily. I don't normally water it.

Needs more consistent watering.
- Rob

popnull

• Ft Lauderdale
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 02:07:19 PM »
Ok thank you! I will implement these recommendations right now!

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 06:19:48 AM »

Needs more consistent watering.

You might consider how much water & fertility the grass is taking up even if you did add those. If you get the grass growing really good then how are you going to trim up under the tree, hope not a weedeater. Search out a well-grown specimen in similar soil nearby and observe the difference in the way that one was grown esp. leaf color. I think these are forest trees which enjoy rich soil so working towards something like that might make the tree more happy than living in an open savannah.

I put in two of these last year and they have doubled in size. I had no shade for them but did plant some pigeon pea shrubs by seed  on the west side which grew up quickly to 8 feet by last winter and gave the Jaboticabas afternoon shade. It seemed like 1/2 day sun was enough. This year I'm keeping the peas shorter about 4 feet so the Jaboticabas can see what is ahead of them as they grow larger, but their lower leaves and soil are still shaded. I think these trees can adapt to full sun but enjoy having the ground shaded (and mulched). Eventually they will make their own shade.

This tree is an interesting one to prune, quite different from tip or branch bearing trees . They grow slow but by the right pruning strategy you can focus tree growth on growing upwards plus end up with the trunk open for fruiting. The tactic is basically to eliminate dense branching inside. Here are some videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaFH9SvXMdI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTZuYxswuTU
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 06:27:22 AM by pineislander »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 10:46:31 AM »
Alas, another stunning example of what a pH sensitive tree looks like when grown in Broward soil.

Mine looked like that for many years. Here's what I did to correct the problem:

- Give it some pelletized sulfur once every 12 - 18 months. This will help drop the pH
 - Give it micronutrients. I use an awesome product distributed by Helena Chemical that is a 0-0-6 with boatloads of iron (> 10%) and other micronutrients. I'm not sure what is available from the big box stores.. but look for a good micronutrient package.
 - Remove what looks like cement and / or asphalt from the tree. Those will contribute to the high pH

Bonus points:

- Make sure that it's watered frequently during the dry season. I have mine on drip irrigation every 2 days.
 - Give it a slow release nitrogen. I use a product that is nearly 100% slow release nitrogen. You may need to lean on chicken manure or Black Kow to get a good slow release nitrogen from the big box stores

It can take a couple of years for the tree to fully green up. The change is gradual.

Jaboticaba are salt sensitive, so stay away from giving it too much water soluble nitrogen. Jaboticaba, especially the red / precocious variety, are averse to high pH soil, which is what we have in abundance in most of Broward. The fortunate bit is that you can correct it with a good fertilization regimen. And, jaboticaba are "sentinel" trees -- if you can get your jabo to green up, you now have a routine for adequately feeding anything else that you will grow in your yard.

On the bright side, you probably have a more than adequate supply of calcium in your soil, which is one of the most important macronutrients.
Jeff  :-)

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 01:35:08 PM »

Gracias mucho for the Flying Fox video suggestions, Pineislander! It's funny but an hour ago I just finished pruning my jabos, and I came up to the house with a bit of "fear " that I had over done it . . . 'cause earlier I remembered I had read to NOT prune Jabos. Mine are six years old now and are three meters high. Now they're really starting to grow out. In full sun, BTW, and planted on a slope so the drainage is very good. We get LOTS of rain here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk