Author Topic: How typical is this - root growing in beverly  (Read 1337 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
How typical is this - root growing in beverly
« on: August 18, 2018, 10:14:54 AM »
7 out of 10 Beverly mango I cut this year had the seed growing with the root out of the husk and in the flesh of the mango.

The fruits were still green when I picked them.  They have been on the plant for a while but still firm to the touch and green.

Did I leave the fruits on too long?  Should I have picked earlier? 

Please share your experience with late season fruits having developed roots in them.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: How typical is this - root growing in beverly
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 12:07:49 PM »
I've had the same issue. Some mangoes tend towards this more than others. Seems like the later season mangoes are more prone to it.
Jeff  :-)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 02:29:27 PM »
Thanks.

I took most of the fruits today.

A family of fat raccoons visited and littered the bottom of the tree with ripe half eaten fruit.  I saw a couple scurrying around from inside the house but they took off (more like rolled along), the last raccoon was still in the three when I got outside.  I gave it a start and it almost fell off the tree.  It scampered down and ran off without its prize.

Looks like nature has determined that the fruits are ready to be picked. 

I left a few on, I am sure they will come back for them.  If not I will have more to pick in a week.

Took the opportunity to harvest some of my Keith too.  The skin was beginning to crack on a few of them.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 02:46:14 PM »
:D The raccoons are usually pretty respectful eaters. They typically only eat the ones that fall (or that ripen in the tree), and they will often eat the entire fruit, just leaving the seed and some peel. So the crop loss is minimal, and I'm happy to share with them :D

Squirrels, on the other hand, are a pain in the neck. They will munch on mangoes that are barely mature green -- nibbling a little bit from each fruit. Rats operate similarly and are equally annoying.

Thanks.

I took most of the fruits today.

A family of fat raccoons visited and littered the bottom of the tree with ripe half eaten fruit.  I saw a couple scurrying around from inside the house but they took off (more like rolled along), the last raccoon was still in the three when I got outside.  I gave it a start and it almost fell off the tree.  It scampered down and ran off without its prize.

Looks like nature has determined that the fruits are ready to be picked. 

I left a few on, I am sure they will come back for them.  If not I will have more to pick in a week.

Took the opportunity to harvest some of my Keith too.  The skin was beginning to crack on a few of them.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 03:36:12 PM »
This old fellow caught a coon in his fruit but once he got it in the trap didn't really have a plan. He came up with a solution which wasn't socially acceptable and they put him through hell.

It's actually dangerous shooting into a trap, many don't have a gun or live in town. I've used a club, machete or pitchfork. My solution has been a drum full of water you can figure out how to use it. I'm sure I'd be pilloried by some but it has been considered humane in the past.

http://time.com/5371161/florida-man-burns-raccoon-over-eating-mangoes/

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 08:46:32 PM »
Yikes. Burning a coon alive is pretty mean. They're not much of a problem with regards to mangoes though. Probably 1% or less crop loss from them. They do sometimes ravage the sapodillas, snapping branches full of fruit as they climb. And every once in a while, they'll feast on jaboticaba. I'll find dozens of skins underneath the tree.

I use the water trick on the squirrels. I have a canal out back that makes the process pretty convenient. They only last about 10 seconds.

This old fellow caught a coon in his fruit but once he got it in the trap didn't really have a plan. He came up with a solution which wasn't socially acceptable and they put him through hell.

It's actually dangerous shooting into a trap, many don't have a gun or live in town. I've used a club, machete or pitchfork. My solution has been a drum full of water you can figure out how to use it. I'm sure I'd be pilloried by some but it has been considered humane in the past.

http://time.com/5371161/florida-man-burns-raccoon-over-eating-mangoes/

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 07:25:56 AM »
Please explain the water trick?

Is this the motion detector that sprays water or something new that I am unaware of?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 10:21:35 AM »
I sense that this is a rhetorical question, but I use the squirrelinator. Once caught, the little bugger gets dispatched by a water dunking. https://squirrelinator.com/

Please explain the water trick?

Is this the motion detector that sprays water or something new that I am unaware of?