Author Topic: Are Forgotten Crops the Future of Food?  (Read 3295 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Oscar

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Are Forgotten Crops the Future of Food?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 08:30:51 AM »
I've been making and using the moringa powder in small amounts to fortify various foods. It dehydrates overnight then crumbles easily in a screened strainer. It grows from any old stick placed in soil, or from seed. I also have the winged beans growing they speak of.

I've recently been helping someone deal with pre-diabetes and learned a lot about how our diet has changed over time. I recognized that agriculture is a relatively new venture and that the cereal grains are a new addition to the human diet which we have only had about 10,000 years to develop compared to our 20 million years of evolution. Modern US diets only include 15 grams of fiber, an indigestible form of carbohydrates, while our early ancestors ate 100 grams of fiber per day. With the carb fiber now replaced by more starchy grains and sugars in our diet is it any wonder that diabetes and obesity have become a problem?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 08:54:03 AM »
Hilarious! I was just reading this article when I woke up, and now find it here on TFF.

Interesting. How can 2/3 of our food supply come from just 4 plants sources? Neglect at an extreme level, time people wake up to the diversity of nutritional options.

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 09:37:13 AM »
I think Forgotten crops is a misnomer.  The author mentions moringa as one such crop.  Here in Southern India, it's quite common and definitely not a forgotten crop.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 12:00:47 PM »
Good to see this work continues.  Moringa has the advantage of having been through a rage for the last few years.  I do wonder what exactly is done to enable it to act a a flour sun though. A teaspoon is rich enough for me, and I eat more pungent herbs and foods than most people.

In time, reliance on 4 crops will be seen for what it is. Incredibly risky.

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 12:06:51 PM »
 With the carb fiber now replaced by more starchy grains and sugars in our diet is it any wonder that diabetes and obesity have become a problem?
[/quote]

Well, this over-reaction to eating ANY "carbs" today is weird!  There is a BIG difference between eating WHOLE carbs (fruits, veggies AND GRAINS) and consuming the over-processed "food" products so common in the popular diet today. These so-called foods have been stripped of their fiber and nutrients, and so they are reduced to simple sugars with little fiber. Nothing wrong with WHOLE carbs though! I have been eating whole grains as the major part of my diet for over 50 years. I may have a few mental problems, but my old bod is in pretty damn good shape. LOL

Diabetes, cardiac and intestinal problems are the norm today largely because of the REFINED carbs folks eat. It's peculiar how people will not change their diets, BUT they keep on screaming for a better "healthcare" system.

Of course, THE major ingredient of a healthy lifestyle . . . is the habit of thinking good thoughts! Period.

BTW, I hate moringa. LOL
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 12:19:02 PM by Doug »

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 12:10:50 AM »
Moringa is nutritious and all,  but not really a replacement for flour,  I think of it more as a supplemental food, something you can add to another that lacks nutrition.

There are so many other root crops, that can be used for this purpose for example arrowroot .    lets not forget legumes,  hundreds of varieties of beans,  ancient grains like Amaranth and Buckwheat. 

Even Sorghum flour. 

Then we have nuts,  most nuts can be made into flours. 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 09:35:49 AM »
Well, this over-reaction to eating ANY "carbs" today is weird! 
I understand you, Doug but what may seem weird to you is likely just misunderstanding. Personally I can eat any amount of carbs either refined or crude because my weight is normal and I'm fit, but for folks who have become obese and prediabetic their systems react to even whole grains and fruits completely differently. Their body has become insulin resistant and when they eat even one banana, potato or whole wheat their blood sugar spikes radically and remains that way for twice the time of a normal person. What has happened is that they have a insulin hormonal problem with essentially many millions of bodies so messed up that they can't handle even ordinary whole carbs. If your body is normal make sure you enjoy plenty of gallo pinto and chan my friend and you should be fine!

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 12:46:49 PM »
I understand you, Doug but what may seem weird to you is likely just misunderstanding. Personally I can eat any amount of carbs either refined or crude because my weight is normal and I'm fit, but for folks who have become obese and prediabetic their systems react to even whole grains and fruits completely differently. Their body has become insulin resistant and when they eat even one banana, potato or whole wheat their blood sugar spikes radically and remains that way for twice the time of a normal person. What has happened is that they have a insulin hormonal problem with essentially many millions of bodies so messed up that they can't handle even ordinary whole carbs. If your body is normal make sure you enjoy plenty of gallo pinto and chan my friend and you should be fine!

Oh of course, John, I know not everyone has problems with refined carbs. There's a lot more to getting sick than just food! But, what's "weird" is that so many people are eating the wrong foods AND they are aware of it . . . but they won't or can't make a change. And, sadly, so many do suffer from weight, circulation or intestinal problems directly related to diet. That's why I got started eating unrefined carbs when I was in my twenties. BTW, when I first came here many years ago the normal Tico diet was mostly fresh fruits and veggies and rice and beans. Today, their diet is much like the "standard" American diet....and sadly now the country is having a real health crisis. Their national health system is bankrupt . . . mostly from having to treat diabetes, heart illnesses and cancer. BTW, nothing wrong with gallo pinto! But, you can hardly find chan anymore. Sounds like you've been here to "paradise". LOL

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 01:04:42 PM »
what may seem weird to you is likely just misunderstanding.
Many believe this quote, "If we ate, worked, and exercised like our great grandparents we would be healthier and live longer". Do you???
Let's see the truth::: Data Life Expectancy in the U.S. 1900 to 1998: http://www.demog.berkeley.edu/~andrew/1918/figure2.html
1918 Male 36.6 years Female 42.2 years   Vs. Ex.1998 M=73.8 years F=79.5 years

Percentage of adults with diagnosed diabetes by age group
https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/adults-with-diabetes-by-age/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Location%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D
Ex. Florida 18-44year olds = 2.3%   @age 65-74 = 22.6%

Congratulations, as total U.S. population has aged and now sure enough, Diabetes, Heart Disease, etc. is on the rise. 
Studies are often flawed by leaving out increased life expectancy tables... If we live long enough, it's a better chance we will die of a disease... I personally prefer longer life expectancy at average 73.8 years vs 36.6 years...

It is a good idea to let the mind govern the body and make changes when necessary in intake and output of energy (exercise etc.) when needed. Some let their body desires govern supreme in making intake/output decisions and suffer with increased odds of disease.

8.27.18 update::: Looking for a Devils Advocate... Oh well... Here's one...
It is really impossible to go back & forward in time and prove or disprove the question: Many believe this quote, "If we ate, worked, and exercised like our great grandparents we would be healthier and live longer". Do you???
Why? Too many variables + new healthcare discoveries. Here's some that have allowed increased life expectancy: https://www.historyofvaccines.org/timeline    http://time.com/4250235/penicillin-1942-history/

Is good healthcare the reason why the healthcare system is said by some to be failing? All will die eventually, before 44 maybe disease/cancer free.... Over 80 and ... Maybe not ... expect more money for healthcare costs as life expectancy rises... But, I prefer higher life expectancy.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 08:43:10 AM by palmcity »

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 09:18:34 PM »
I am certain Artocarpus altilis and Bactris gasipaes can easily feed the world.
-Josh

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 05:35:15 PM »
I have a great book called "Living With the Trees of Life", by Roger Leakey, and it talks about agroforestry as a way to increase food security world-wide.  The number of things that we CAN eat, that are good for us, compared to what we DO eat, is enormous! Really interesting!

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 12:27:28 AM »
Interesting. How can 2/3 of our food supply come from just 4 plants sources? Neglect at an extreme level, time people wake up to the diversity of nutritional options.
Just try going to the grocery store next time and not buying anything with wheat (flour), cow milk (dairy), or sugar (including high fructose corn syrup) in the ingredients.

And on top of that, how about eating a meat that's not beef, chicken, or pork?

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 12:07:28 PM »
Are you saying this is difficult or next to impossible in the environment you live in?
I have a buddy that is 57 and has had meat in his meals his whole life come to the somewhat late conclusion that human's teeth are flat for grinding fruits and veggies not sharp like cats,dogs, and other consumer's of carne. So he stopped eating meat, last guy on earth I would have thought would do this, the last. 
I do eat meat so this is for talk story not to push anything. The movie cowspiracy is an interesting conversation starter about the world and it's food supply. I usually prefer documentaries though.

Just try going to the grocery store next time and not buying anything with wheat (flour), cow milk (dairy), or sugar (including high fructose corn syrup) in the ingredients.

And on top of that, how about eating a meat that's not beef, chicken, or pork?

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 12:38:04 PM »
what may seem weird to you is likely just misunderstanding.
Many believe this quote, "If we ate, worked, and exercised like our great grandparents we would be healthier and live longer". Do you???
Let's see the truth::: Data Life Expectancy in the U.S. 1900 to 1998: http://www.demog.berkeley.edu/~andrew/1918/figure2.html
1918 Male 36.6 years Female 42.2 years   Vs. Ex.1998 M=73.8 years F=79.5 years

Percentage of adults with diagnosed diabetes by age group
https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/adults-with-diabetes-by-age/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Location%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D
Ex. Florida 18-44year olds = 2.3%   @age 65-74 = 22.6%

Congratulations, as total U.S. population has aged and now sure enough, Diabetes, Heart Disease, etc. is on the rise. 
Studies are often flawed by leaving out increased life expectancy tables... If we live long enough, it's a better chance we will die of a disease... I personally prefer longer life expectancy at average 73.8 years vs 36.6 years...

It is a good idea to let the mind govern the body and make changes when necessary in intake and output of energy (exercise etc.) when needed. Some let their body desires govern supreme in making intake/output decisions and suffer with increased odds of disease.

8.27.18 update::: Looking for a Devils Advocate... Oh well... Here's one...
It is really impossible to go back & forward in time and prove or disprove the question: Many believe this quote, "If we ate, worked, and exercised like our great grandparents we would be healthier and live longer". Do you???
Why? Too many variables + new healthcare discoveries. Here's some that have allowed increased life expectancy: https://www.historyofvaccines.org/timeline    http://time.com/4250235/penicillin-1942-history/

Is good healthcare the reason why the healthcare system is said by some to be failing? All will die eventually, before 44 maybe disease/cancer free.... Over 80 and ... Maybe not ... expect more money for healthcare costs as life expectancy rises... But, I prefer higher life expectancy.

Life expectancy , takes into account all causes of deaths,  so think of how common for women to die from child birth,  the millions that died from infections,  disease that is easily treatable today.    for example,  I should be dead,  I had appendicitis at 5 years old.  I would have contributed to that short life expectancy if i was born in the 20's    not only death from disease and sickness,  but accidents on the job.   work was hard and strenuous, and safety was not always priority to employees.

then we had things like asbestos , lead in paint.  and who knows what else that made people sick back then that we do not use today.   its difficult to really access what killed people back then, because most back country doctors, probably miss diagnosed the cause of death,  and many diseases were lumped together.  most people did not have access to sophisticated diagnostic equipment,   a child gets sick, dies,  doctor assumes its the flu, and that's it.  but as far as we know could have been an infection, a toxin , or sever allergy.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Tang Tonic

• US Virgin Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 01:09:47 PM »
Think of the places that are known to have large percentages of centenarians.  Places like Dominica, Japan, Costa Rica, etc.  The lifestyles that these people have in these regions is antithetical to modern society and the science of "improving" life expectancy.  On the contrary, they live a lifestyle that is very much a thing of the past.  Eating whole foods, living simple lives, doing lots of walking and moving around, tending gardens and growing food, and being surrounded by friends and family until their last days on earth.

Does anyone subscribe to mango mans emails?  I believe he is Marvin Pickering right, the guy who the Pickering mango is named after.  I haven't purchased any of his CD's but I do enjoy reading his emails. 

Overall, I think modern society is killing us in many ways. 

Down here in the Caribbean, with the high price of groceries, its easy to stay healthy.  Between what we grow, the fish I harvest from the sea, and the local Farmer's Co-op we have been part of for many years, we only need the stores for raw staples. 

A friend of mine has been developing his Moringa business for many years.  He has an FDA approved organic Moringa processing plant with organic Moringa grown on the island of St. Croix.   http://savorstcroix.com/product/moringa-lion-vegan-capsules

I have to thank forum member pineislander for sending down some greens that we continue to enjoy frequently, the Okinawa Spinach and Longevity Spinach.  We also use Katuk a lot. 

My son attends a Survival Skills class where he as learned all different types of local greens that can be foraged and they are quite good.  If anyone is looking to take a learning vacation, I strongly recommend the Mt. Victory camp here.  The folks who run it could easily survive here if the ships with goods from the states stopped coming.

http://www.mtvictorycamp.com/

Tang Tonic

• US Virgin Islands
    • View Profile