Author Topic: Use aquarium water for plants  (Read 1608 times)

Tony714

• Fountain Valley OC , SOCAL, 10b
    • View Profile
Use aquarium water for plants
« on: August 27, 2018, 03:32:36 PM »
Hi guys,

I have 300 gallon aquarium and i have been using it to water my plants.  By any chance, anyone know what it's good for and what to add to balance it as fert?
i have cherimoya, atemoya, longan and citrus trees.

thanks in advance,
tony

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
Re: Use aquarium water for plants
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 04:35:44 PM »
http://www.hortmag.com/weekly-tips/watering-houseplants-fish-tank-water

Fish waste has nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium and ammonia, plus beneficial micro-organisms.  I either water my potted & in-ground plants with it, or water my compost piles to add more nutrients & increase the microbial activity.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 04:41:57 PM »
Plants love that stuff. Since I keep saltwater tanks now, all the dirty water goes to waste.

Tony714

• Fountain Valley OC , SOCAL, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 04:48:30 PM »
Oh man!!! Good to know.  My fish eat like a pig and poproduce lot of waste.    Ammonia can go up quick in couple day. 

Roblack - somehow i can keep freshwater tanks for years but can't switch to saltwater tank.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 04:52:35 PM by Tony714 »

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 02:35:12 AM »
dang! good to know. i also switched to saltwater...but this is a good reason to setup a freshwater tank now.

Linh

• USA, California, Westminster, zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 03:21:50 AM »
For many years I have been using koi pond washed off fish waste to water my fruit trees. I also have been growing vegetables along the streams to also extract out nitrogen from the pond; Part of natural pond filtration system

Tang Tonic

• US Virgin Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 11:35:21 AM »
Interesting topic.

I don't have an aquarium but I do have a tank collecting rainwater.  The catchment is a roof that collects a lot of leaf litter, bird droppings that end up in the tank.  Frogs enjoy living in the tank and make babies lots of babies in there.

I just recently cleaned the tank out of all the sludge collecting.  I never tested the pH but will once I have a good batch going again.

My thinking was the bird droppings, decaying plant matter, and frog excrement has to be making some good irrigation water.  I irrigate all the potted fruit trees I have with it and they seem to be doing quite well.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 10:46:01 PM »
Combining aquaculture and hydroponics is becoming very popular.  There is a place in N. Fort Myers that has a small scale setup, and at Epcot they are doing it on a larger scale to provide their restaurants with fresh produce and fish. 

It makes a ton of sense if you think about it, raise fish, use the waste water to grow vegetables via hydroponics, it's a perfect system.

https://www.dw.com/en/sustainable-farming-project-combines-aquaculture-and-hydroponics/a-16927582

Next time you're near Epcot, they do tours of their farm / garden.  I highly recommend it. 
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2023, 04:12:06 PM »
This article about using seawater came up on another topic, post from Daintree.
https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/sa-9.pdf

Topic is here,
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=51126.0