Author Topic: Where to buy Mango Trees for Los Angeles?  (Read 1593 times)

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
Where to buy Mango Trees for Los Angeles?
« on: September 26, 2018, 02:26:57 PM »
I'd like to buy a few varieties, perhaps Sweet Tart, Lemon Zest, and 2-3 others. I'm not thrilled with paying $$$$$ for shipping, but I'll do that if it's the best way to get a good tree. But I'd prefer to pick up locally so I can talk to the nursery about best varieties and save on shipping.

I know the tree landscape changes frequently, so who has good trees for sale for shipment to or pickup in Los Angeles?

Any other varieties to recommend or not recommend for Los Angeles?

Thanks!
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy Mango Trees for Los Angeles?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 03:37:59 PM »
Currently, JF is offering mango trees for sale with "local" pick up.
See this post at Buy/Sell:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=29522.0

I am sure, JF is not using Turpentine rootstock, hope you are
aware of it's disadvantages of growing this Turpentine rootstock
mango in California...as many members have already discussed
here in this forum.
Sam

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 04:39:23 PM »
JF

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 05:06:19 PM »
I'd like to buy a few varieties, perhaps Sweet Tart, Lemon Zest, and 2-3 others. I'm not thrilled with paying $$$$$ for shipping, but I'll do that if it's the best way to get a good tree. But I'd prefer to pick up locally so I can talk to the nursery about best varieties and save on shipping.

I know the tree landscape changes frequently, so who has good trees for sale for shipment to or pickup in Los Angeles?

Any other varieties to recommend or not recommend for Los Angeles?

Thanks!

my recommendation would be to not fall for big trees, a small 3 gal in 3 yrs would grow much bigger than a bigger 7 gal that you buy in pot today. From personal experience 7 gal gets stunted at some point and gets hit with lot of dieback within 2-3 years. note that tap roots get girdled or form a circle and some nurseries remove tap roots when they pot. in CA you need original tap root intact and put in ground within 1st yr to get most benefits of tap root and disease resistance it provides. JF and I will be offering a lot of selection, and Simon and others are also offering but we cant keep up with demand vs. supply.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 05:13:14 PM by behlgarden »

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 08:11:59 PM »
Currently, JF is offering mango trees for sale with "local" pick up.
See this post at Buy/Sell:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=29522.0

I am sure, JF is not using Turpentine rootstock, hope you are
aware of it's disadvantages of growing this Turpentine rootstock
mango in California...as many members have already discussed
here in this forum.

So I had a very good visit with JF last last weekend, and I bought a LZ and a ST. I had time to put the LZ in the dirt this last Sunday:

It's been 48 hours since transplanting, and I don't see any visible signs of stress, so I think I succeeded in not killing it. We'll know more in a month.

The ST will go in next Sunday, I hope!

JF confirmed to me that both trees are on Ataulfo/Manila/Philippine (?) rootstock, and he showed me a tree with Florida (Turpentine?) rootstock that's done nothing despite being in his yard for four years. It looks a lot like my Keitt from PoG that's done nothing in 4 years. Nothing against PoG, because the tree looked great when I received it, but apparently that rootstock just doesn't work in my area.

I've got a bunch of Ataulfo seeds in some pots right now, to see if I can get those going. If I can, I may attempt some grafting later on. How long does it usually take a seedling to get to graftable size?
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 09:03:10 PM »
Glad to see you hooked up with JF.
Since you show interest of growing your own mango here in SoCal, I would recommend
you do some reading on some good mango threads written by local growers, here's one of them:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=23124.0

I wished I have this info before I started planting my mango trees... :)
Sam