Author Topic: Which online nursery do you trust?  (Read 1850 times)

Nayelie321

• In California most of the time.
    • California
    • View Profile
Which online nursery do you trust?
« on: October 27, 2018, 12:32:08 PM »
So recently I’ve been contemplating adding a jackfruit tree to my yard here in Cali(I know temp. And all protect and so on). Anyways, I’ve been checking some online nurseries such as plantogram and toptropicals. I know shipping stresses the plants and I’m not concerned with that. I’m concerned if what I’m ordering is truly the variety I ordered. I was going to order a Honey Gold Jackfruit but I’ve seen that mislabeling is a problem in most of these places. So which one is the least prone? I mentioned two nurseries maybe there are more online ones so suggestions are appreciated.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Which online nursery do you trust?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 01:11:49 PM »
There has been some discussion if you use the search feature you will find them. Caveat emptor!

DSotM

• Fresno, ca 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 01:23:35 PM »
I just bought some from plantogram. They recently switched to free shipping and typically sell big 3 gallon trees. My shipment is coming next week so I’ll verify how good their stock is currently

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 01:44:32 PM »
I would highly recommend getting a seed of a top tier variety. Maybe something like Amber seedling, Berry seedling, Boca Snob or whatever type you like. Make a nice big fertile mound and mulch it heavily. Plant the seed and protect in with a cage and shadecloth. Seedlings will fruit faster, relatively high percent are quality and it will have a perfect root system. Jackfruit has an aggressive root system and quickly gets contorted in pots. It wont be hard to prune the tree and protect it in winter. Jackfruit is horribly mislabeled coming out of one nursery I know of. PIN probably has accurately labeled plants but I don't know for sure. Just my 2 cents.
-Josh

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 04:36:10 PM »
I agree with planting seedling Jakfruit and champajak.  In every case I’ve seen they grow better and fruit sooner and I graft Jakfruit.  Lots of things I graft, durian, sapodilla, etc. You save a lot of time.  With Jakfruit it’s the opposite and really good material generally will be rewarding in quality.
Peter

DurbanDude

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 04:59:39 PM »
Seedling is the way to go, one seedling that I planted this year is already 4 feet tall. There are also people here who sell jackfruit scions so you could plant seedlings and graft.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 11:21:22 AM »
FYI -  I've recently ordered from TopTropicals and from Etsy sellers 9waters and 9eztropical.   All of them were very nice and would do again.  9eztropical's packing leaves something to be desired, there was a bit of shipping damage.

These orders were a mix of tropical seedlings and 3-4ft grafted trees.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 10:23:44 PM »
So recently I’ve been contemplating adding a jackfruit tree to my yard here in Cali(I know temp. And all protect and so on). Anyways, I’ve been checking some online nurseries such as plantogram and toptropicals. I know shipping stresses the plants and I’m not concerned with that. I’m concerned if what I’m ordering is truly the variety I ordered. I was going to order a Honey Gold Jackfruit but I’ve seen that mislabeling is a problem in most of these places. So which one is the least prone? I mentioned two nurseries maybe there are more online ones so suggestions are appreciated.

What part of Cali are you in? You’d be better off getting one from a nursery here.
Nate

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk