Author Topic: Eggs deposited in bark...  (Read 1202 times)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Eggs deposited in bark...
« on: November 15, 2018, 08:32:37 PM »

I suspect these are a series of insect eggs, something like a cicada or similar critter (orthopteran).

Anyone have experience with this?

Wondering if these should be carefully removed (or treated some other way) or just left alone - not sure if the larva/nymphs would do any further damage?
Or maybe they will not survive the winter?

Any ideas appreciated

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: Eggs deposited in bark...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 03:38:03 AM »
I don't recognize those eggs (hard to see in the picture), but I would kill them without hesitation.  It's always a safer bet if you don't recognize the species.  It also doesn't show any of the classic signs of predator eggs.  For example, many predator larvae are cannibalistic, so the eggs are laid singly instead of in clusters. Sometimes, like with lacewings, they'll be laid out on long strands so as to put them out of reach of their siblings, or other unusual self-defensive mechanisms.

Not always, though, mind you - there are lots of exceptions (including most notably ladybug eggs). But if you don't recognize them... I'd kill them.  Why take the risk?  Generally pests lay their eggs on the material that they plan to eat.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 03:46:19 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 07:26:28 AM »
Thanks!
Trying the picture again. PostImage was acting weird last night:

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 07:27:16 AM »
Hmm no difference. You can use the Zoom function to see closer I guess.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 08:46:43 AM »
I would trim that part off, place the cut end in a cup with moist paper towel, and then place in something like a small butterfly enclosure, and seal it up well. Then, see what hatches out of those eggs. You likely have more of them around, could be beneficial to figure out what they are. 

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 08:50:09 AM »
I would trim that part off, place the cut end in a cup with moist paper towel, and then place in something like a small butterfly enclosure, and seal it up well. Then, see what hatches out of those eggs. You likely have more of them around, could be beneficial to figure out what they are.
Interesting idea!
It’s always hard for me to sacrifice growth but I know it would be made up for quickly. I’ll give it some thought.

So_Cal_Mike

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 11:31:25 AM »
Cicadas cut into the bark and deposit their eggs like that... my guess is cicada.
[size=85]Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7[/size]