Author Topic: rollinia seedling special needs  (Read 1050 times)

rtdrury

• Mount Dora, FL, USA, US hardiness zone 9A/9B
    • View Profile
    • The Love Plan
rollinia seedling special needs
« on: December 29, 2018, 11:52:51 PM »
I have rollinia seedlings 6 to 10 inches long, in 2 inch pots that are struggling.  Defoliating.  Temperature range is 60 to 75F, humidity range is probably 50% to 70%.  Adequate sunlight, not too much.  Regular potting soil.  What is it that these plants need?

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Re: rollinia seedling special needs
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 06:56:08 AM »
Impossible to say based on that.  My Rollinia is amazingly hearty.  It seems to double in size every 6 months or so and is very happy / healthy.  I even put it in a spot that is very well drained, but everything else I put there had died.  They are not picky about soil from what I understand, maybe too much or too little water??  I had planted mine in a spot that is mildly alkaline. 

Maybe you should consider just buying a tree from a reputable nursery.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 07:52:50 AM »
Rollinia are not cold hardy especially seedlings. Wait till Spring and the rollinia should
take off. I recently got about a 2 foot seedling and it is not looking too hot either.
But my sugar apples and atemoyas are also in their winter shutdown mode. In the
Spring they will flush new growth and flower. I have several seedling sugar apples now
and they are also not doing much. I would be careful not to overwater now which may cause
your seedlings to dampen off and don't let your rollinia seedlings get below 50F and they will be fine.

rtdrury

• Mount Dora, FL, USA, US hardiness zone 9A/9B
    • View Profile
    • The Love Plan
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 12:55:39 PM »
Thanks, guys.  The two rollinia seedlings are leaf budding now so they're alright.  They're 1ft high, in small pots, in a 70F to 80F, 60% humid, partial sun indoor environment and seem to like it.  I let them out in full sun a couple hours a day.  The problem was a temporary defoliation shock probably when I brought them inside, or maybe a 50F to 70F outdoor temp got them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk