Author Topic: Rainforest Plum Quality Variability  (Read 1265 times)

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
Rainforest Plum Quality Variability
« on: January 09, 2019, 03:45:00 PM »
I have observed and seen variability in fruit quality for rainforest plum.  Overall, I like the fruit.  But was wondering if anyone had particularly good ones.  I have obtained some seeds from Brazil of a supposed good variety, but will be at least 2-3 years before I get to try. 

Also, for all rainforest plum, is the skin astringent or is it just the one's i've tried were  that way?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Rainforest Plum Quality Variability
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 06:30:48 PM »
I have observed and seen variability in fruit quality for rainforest plum.  Overall, I like the fruit.  But was wondering if anyone had particularly good ones.  I have obtained some seeds from Brazil of a supposed good variety, but will be at least 2-3 years before I get to try. 

Also, for all rainforest plum, is the skin astringent or is it just the one's i've tried were  that way?
Yup, have posted about variability in taste of rainforest plum before. I have 10 fruiting trees and have noticed quite a bit of variability. The variability is not just from tree to tree, but also depends on the weather at the time. They will taste kind of off when there is too much rain for prolonged period. I have not noticed any astringency in the skins.
Oscar

Rob P

• Australia, Gold Coast Queensland. 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 10:11:43 PM »
Could you give the scientific name of the rainforest plum in question, as there are many different fruits called Rainforest Plum, especially in Australia?

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 10:30:39 PM »
Eugenia candolleana