Author Topic: Can Shiranui / Dekopon become seedy if cross pollinated?  (Read 1326 times)

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
Can Shiranui / Dekopon become seedy if cross pollinated?
« on: January 16, 2019, 07:19:53 PM »
This is my second year of my grafts, and second year fruiting. Only had one fruit last year, which wasn't up to par on store bought ones but much larger in size. This year, lots of fruit and also larger than store bought ones. Picked my first one to see if they're ready, and once I opened it, I noticed how seedy it is. Last year, the single fruit I got wasn't. I have many other citrus grafted on this tree, so I'm thinking, cross pollination caused it to be seedy?

Also, it isn't as sweet as store bought yet, maybe let them hang a few more weeks? or should I pick and keep them on the kitchen counter to let some of the acidity go away?

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
Re: Can Shiranui / Dekopon become seedy if cross pollinated?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 09:04:27 PM »
I guess it is possible, but I have two that fruited last season, surrounded by at least twenty different varieties and out of two dozen fruits, not one seed.

TFN

raimeiken

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 11:01:17 PM »
where is your tree from?

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 12:45:55 AM »
You didn't grow this Dekopon from seed, did you?

raimeiken

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 07:17:44 AM »
no, it's a graft

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 08:22:19 AM »
I got my trees from Brite Leaf nursery out of Florida.  I have three trees, but one got hurt by herbicide, so I did not allow it to carry fruit. 

TFN

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 05:20:00 PM »
I also have a Dekopon tree growing in the ground and close in proximity with many other citrus varieties. The fruit are always seedless.  As to Dekopon's sweetness, there are two items that you must take into consideration.  First, is the age of the tree.  Older trees produce fruit of much higher quality than young trees.   Second, grafting Dekopon on a tree which other varieties are growing, and then growing that tree as you would any normal citrus tree is not how a Dekopon is supposed to be grown.  A Dekopon tree is supposed to be grown exactly like a peach tree is grown (pruned to keep the tree's interior open to high sunlight)   High sunlight both exterior and interior, PLUS lots of heat will produce sweet and large fruit. You can find information on the Internet on how Dekopon is grown in Japan, where the fruit was developed and is widely grown.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 05:27:00 PM by Millet »

raimeiken

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 06:04:19 PM »
thanks Millet for the info

I'll update on how the rest will taste in about a month or so.