Author Topic: New guanabana disease?  (Read 4942 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
New guanabana disease?
« on: May 18, 2019, 11:26:36 PM »
About 18 months ago, my guanabana tree started getting infected with the disease shown in the pictures below. At present, I lose almost 100% of my crops to it. Any ideas what it is?

Jeff  :-)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Re: New guanabana disease?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 11:32:58 PM »
Very interesting as it seems from pics the fruit get to an advanced stage before succumbing to disease. Has this affected rate of fruit set?

-Joep450

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 11:36:19 PM »
Fruit set is still excellent, but I only get a fruit or two per year that is edible.

Very interesting as it seems from pics the fruit get to an advanced stage before succumbing to disease. Has this affected rate of fruit set?

-Joep450

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 11:45:35 PM »
Update: I think it's anthracnose based on a couple of online resources. Looks like I might have to start including the guanabana trees in the mango fungal routine..

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 11:59:08 PM »
My guanabana seedling has another thing going. It stats new branches growing and shortly after they wilt and turn black. More new branches are growing, but only a few survive.

Fungal disease as well?
Zone Pusher

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 01:21:10 AM »
About 18 months ago, my guanabana tree started getting infected with the disease shown in the pictures below. At present, I lose almost 100% of my crops to it. Any ideas what it is?

This is exactly what happened to my soursop tree last year. Lost all the fruits. The tree had about 10 fruits this year but I am left with only 4 now. They all grow and then turn black and drop.  :(

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 07:43:14 AM »
You might try scouting fruit at an earlier stage looking for Annona Seed borer, some o your pics show the small black spots. We often see mummified sugar apples and this could be related. Much of the damage seems to be in concave areas which are also favorites of mealybugs. Here is a UFL pest sheet for annona.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/ig/ig16600.pdf

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 08:30:40 AM »
Huge problem with growing guanabana on pineisland for at least 5 years  anthracnose, mealybugs ,Annona Seed borer.Not worth growing unless you have blocks of trees so you can set up a concentrated spray program. Anthracnose die back of new growth (wilt) and then fruit,frustrating to say the least.They did improve  this year because every time I was spraying mangos with micro's and fungicide I would flip the sprayer on them .

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 09:08:55 AM »
Huge problem with growing guanabana on pineisland for at least 5 years  anthracnose, mealybugs ,Annona Seed borer.Not worth growing unless you have blocks of trees so you can set up a concentrated spray program. Anthracnose die back of new growth (wilt) and then fruit,frustrating to say the least.They did improve  this year because every time I was spraying mangos with micro's and fungicide I would flip the sprayer on them .

Is there such thing as successful “organic” or “natural” treatment against Anthracnose ?
Zone Pusher

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 09:33:54 AM »
OK. Bummer. I think I'll just do the same -- spray them while I'm hitting the mangos.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 09:38:51 AM »
I guess we could start bagging the fruit. We bag guavas and have high success against fruit fly.

You might try scouting fruit at an earlier stage looking for Annona Seed borer, some o your pics show the small black spots. We often see mummified sugar apples and this could be related. Much of the damage seems to be in concave areas which are also favorites of mealybugs. Here is a UFL pest sheet for annona.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 09:40:51 AM »
Yes, notably copper among others. However, to get adequate control, I had to start mixing in EPA classified "Reduced Risk" fungicides.

Is there such thing as successful “organic” or “natural” treatment against Anthracnose ?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 11:38:04 AM »
It’s probably insect introduced.  Bag the fruits like you do the guava and see how that goes.
We see this in CR, especially when there are lots of guanabana trees together.
Peter

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 02:53:40 PM »

It is a fungus that blows in from dry air in another infected area, then an area spreads on the tree by splashing from rain. 

Remove infected material, bury or burn it, identify where it is coming from and prune there as well.  I wouldn't be surprised if it is coming from a mango tree nearby

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 04:16:08 PM »
Copper treatment its considered bio.Chamomille tea its a stronger antifungic than copper and its bio and really safe.I use it on my seeds if they get mold and it kills any type of mold from first aplication better than copper.Its also cheap and you dont need to use much.A rain would wash it away but that happens with copper or otther chemicals too.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 04:27:42 PM by SeaWalnut »

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 06:10:55 PM »
I was thinking of trying again regalia biofungicide for mango mbbs with copper, maybe on soursop?Their is a lot of biofungicides on the market ,but hard data on efficacy has been sketchy on vegetables ,let alone tropical fruit ,even less controlled studies.
 Some wall street ex fund manger stopped here a few times the last few months wants to grow a lot of soursops here.I told him it would be quite a challenge for many reasons.Turn out he had grown  them commercially in panama.Told me they sprayed with bordeaux mixture for anthracnose.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 06:27:43 PM »
Chamomille tea its a lot more efficient than all of these otther fungicides i use.In fact,when i took the picture for the forum ,i was tempted to throw all of these to garbage because i dont think il ever use them again since im using the chamomille tea.The tea is cheap and you can experiment yourself its efficiency.In the past ive also used cinnamon powder as an antifungic wich its ok but similar to copper and a lot less effective than chamomille.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 06:54:22 PM »
How much Chamomille tea per gallon or acre?

Quite a few have been trying https://www.autoflower.net/forums/threads/jadam-korean-organic-farming.68734/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 06:59:16 PM by shot »

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 07:33:12 PM »
I’m desperate for any successful antifungal for my annonaceae
Neem extract is worthless
Tried Captan but jury is still out. I tested on one previously untreated branch and had no ill effects. However, I sprayed on trees previously sprayed with neem extract and I think it started to burn them.
Probably stupid on my part.

Anyway- this diplocarpon fungus really has me down.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 07:42:28 PM »
I guess we could start bagging the fruit. We bag guavas and have high success against fruit fly.

I just got 2 boxes of bags delivered.  I'm going to start bagging almost everything.  Peaches, Anonas, even tomatoes.   
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 08:36:20 PM »

Quite a few have been trying https://www.autoflower.net/forums/threads/jadam-korean-organic-farming.68734/
I make ordinary tea,one bag to one cup of water and boil it well.This concentration beated the strongest bordelaise concentration allowed for orchards.One whoole tea box with 20 bags its enough to make one gallon and a quarter of tea.It doesnt kill even the most tender plants that just germinated from seed.The tea its soo effective that
 you could dilute it a lot and would still work . Neem oil its a good insect repellent not antifungic.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2019, 08:16:25 AM »

I make ordinary tea,one bag to one cup of water and boil it well.This concentration beated the strongest bordelaise concentration allowed for orchards.One whoole tea box with 20 bags its enough to make one gallon and a quarter of tea.It doesnt kill even the most tender plants that just germinated from seed.The tea its soo effective that
 you could dilute it a lot and would still work . Neem oil its a good insect repellent not antifungic.

I've read before about chamomile tea in reference to preventing damping-off with seeds. So, it makes sense to try it on trees. I admit it sounds too good to be true, but I am going to try it.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2019, 02:20:30 PM »
Ive used it for damping off disease initially but over time i tested on any type of mold i got and thats how i got the conclusion thats better than strongest dose of copper (bordeaux ).Little spray with chamomille killed mold better than soaking the seeds in copper until they got blue.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2019, 02:28:17 PM »
Are you using “mold” interchangeably with “fungus?”
Just clarifying. Thanks!

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile