Author Topic: Katemfe ~ African Sweet Prayer Plant ~ Thaumatococcus Danielli help!  (Read 1392 times)

Bartacomus

• SE Texas, zone 9a, close to the coast. acidic clays, hot.. both dry and humid, rare freezes
    • View Profile
I ordered some Thaumatococcus Danilli ~ Katemfe..  Miracle Plant, African Sweet Prayer Plant etc.

ive put a half dozen of these seeds in dirt. its going on 6 months.  Id forgotten id planted one and start tearing at this pot with my fingernail.

this knot in the center of the pic came up with about 5 half inch roots coming from it and an apparently green knob from one side. 

however, it still hasnt sprouted after  i put it back.  Im concerned ive broken off a taproot.. if they have tap roots.
and im concerned a slug or bug has chewed it off at ground level.

please, any ideas?

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
Re: Katemfe ~ African Sweet Prayer Plant ~ Thaumatococcus Danielli help!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 10:32:57 AM »
Thaumatococcus daniellii doesn't have a tap root. There is a good chance it will grow, but you need to keep it moist, not wet, the soil MUST be very well draining. Add some perlite when repotting next.
If you concerned about slugs/snails, put your pot on top of empty pot placed in the middle of a container filled with water. Good luck.
Zone Pusher

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 11:47:55 AM »
I planted about 50 seeds 1 started germinating recently after only a few weeks after planting. I'll try to post a photo today.

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 01:38:11 PM »
I planted about 50 seeds 1 started germinating recently after only a few weeks after planting. I'll try to post a photo today.

Sounds about right. Fresh seeds takes about 4 weeks to germinate.
Zone Pusher

Bartacomus

• SE Texas, zone 9a, close to the coast. acidic clays, hot.. both dry and humid, rare freezes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 12:38:45 PM »
Hey, where did you get them.. the one i was talking about was eaten by slugs i think. it was taken down to the nub. Never recovered.
HOWEVER! i did have one sprout now.. and like the man said it was in some pretty mixed mulched soil.  So id like to know how to care for palm grasses especially over winter.

Now that i have a little more confidence seeing one sprout (came from Trade Winds Fruit)  I want more. But i cannot find a source.
And at their price, id like to find some fresh.

I also managed to get a single Curculigo Latifolia sprouted.. but some ate on it too.. but im hoping it survives. any advice on that would be appreciated too.

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 03:20:07 PM »
Hey, where did you get them.. the one i was talking about was eaten by slugs i think. it was taken down to the nub. Never recovered.
HOWEVER! i did have one sprout now.. and like the man said it was in some pretty mixed mulched soil.  So id like to know how to care for palm grasses especially over winter.

Now that i have a little more confidence seeing one sprout (came from Trade Winds Fruit)  I want more. But i cannot find a source.
And at their price, id like to find some fresh.

I also managed to get a single Curculigo Latifolia sprouted.. but some ate on it too.. but im hoping it survives. any advice on that would be appreciated too.

get a slug bait  ;D
Zone Pusher

Bartacomus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 10:38:20 PM »
i was thinking a itsy bitsy tiny little rack and tiny little generator with miniature slug sized battery cables..    but bait and poison does sound easier.

do you know where to find either of these plant seeds?

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 11:02:45 PM »
Oscar (Fruitlovers) has Curculigo latifolia seeds. Thaumatococcus daniellii seeds I got from Trade Winds Fruits.
Zone Pusher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk