Author Topic: What's up With Wurtz (avocado) ?  (Read 24792 times)

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What's up With Wurtz (avocado) ?
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 07:50:21 AM »
The tree was in the ground for mabe two years about 4 foot tall.I am in a cold pocket dont remember the duration 2010 but in 1989 my coldest 7 pm 32 degrees 7 am 19 
Mike

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 09:26:11 AM »
Good things about Wurtz: tree stays quite small, started fruiting when only 4 feet tall, is quite productive, and fruits can be harvested over long period of time as they hold well on the tree. Bad things: i thought the taste and texture were quite poor, at least compared to other avocados we have widely available here. BTW I think Reed is 10x a better avocado.
It's possible my evaluation of taste and texture is not correct because i only had one Wurtz tree, it seemed a bit of a runt, and it eventually died. I've read some other evaluations of it where it was only rated average quality.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 12:47:26 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 04:58:18 PM »
My wurtz are pretty good especially if there is little dry season rain.The flesh quality I found was just a little ahead of the sharwil I chopped down but the thin skin can be marked easily.The fruit are reasonable sized and very similar to fuerte.No other variety here had such a broad climate that is acceptable and Ag Dept recommends planting them along over 20 degrees of latitude.On the tablelands adjacent to me they are a popular commercial type being kept under 10 ft and having larger and more fruit than on the coast.My one was 8 ft before it had its first flowers in spite of heavy pruning. I also would rate reed ahead of it and the most heat tolerant guatemalan shepard as having better flesh.... green flesh....than both.Shepard does have a big seeds however and is crazy productive.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 05:18:47 PM »
The other thing about Wurtz here is that the thin skin is a magnet for fruit spotting bug attack which causes hard lumps inside the fruit. Thin skinned avos like Wurtz and larger guavas are attacked relentlesly. I've heard there are biological controls in the works and I just hope they are finished before the government pulls out funding.

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2012, 11:27:47 AM »
For better or Wurtz its a good avo. Makes great LiverWurtz

Reed is top class. Good sized round fruit with rich meaty texture

Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

CapeCoralGuy

• Cape Coral, Lee County Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2014, 10:51:44 AM »
While I know some have bad things to say about Wurtz, I find it is an excellent avocado, taste and texture-wise.  It is also a somewhat smaller tree with decent cold hardiness.  The drawback I see is that the fruit are on the smaller side and the flesh to seed ratio is lower than some....that ok, cause the quality makes up for it.  I would definitely give this one a try.

I totally agree with your assessment! Here in SW Florida they grow very well....as a matter of fact the one I have planted in my backyard did much better than the Brogdon I had. They can handle the cold weather reasonably well, and the tree (as well as the fruit) stay on the smaller size.

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2014, 01:05:38 PM »

wurtz to right of tank, behind ladder.planted june '13  set half a dozen fruits spring '14but did not hold them past ping-pong ball size.  next year?

left of tank, mexicola.  right edge, in front of ladder, brazos belle,  left bottom corner, two leaves of joey.  greenhouses get crowded.
treefrog land and cattle company

IndigoEmu

• US, Florida, Longwood, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2018, 03:06:45 PM »
Necroing this thread - anybody here have a producing Wurtz in Florida that can also comment on taste and tree growth? Just picked up a 7 gallon at 4 foot tall. Also curious about its cold hardiness... at the very least it’ll be easy to protect if it stays dwarf.

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2018, 09:10:19 AM »
Head over the this discussion, it's time to pick Wurtz avocado now so I will harvest one, let it ripe next couple days and report back:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=27007.msg333607#msg333607

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk