Author Topic: What type for mango trees  (Read 5755 times)

jcbk101

• TechTacular
  • More mango please!
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL 33411, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
What type for mango trees
« on: December 20, 2012, 09:49:09 PM »
  I'm not sure if this question has been answered already but I was wondering if the chlorine filled city water affects the growth of fruit trees such as mangoes. If so, is there anything I can do to help or an additive to use to not hurt the trees so much?
If you ain't first you're last! "Ricky Bobby"

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: What type for mango trees
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 10:15:26 PM »
  I'm not sure if this question has been answered already but I was wondering if the chlorine filled city water affects the growth of fruit trees such as mangoes. If so, is there anything I can do to help or an additive to use to not hurt the trees so much?

City water is fine for mango trees.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 10:23:15 PM »
Chlorine has a short term adverse impacts on all fruit trees and burnt tips is one symptom of excess.Town water should not be a significant problem as the concentration is pretty low.The chlorides in manufactured fertlizers are a different story.Sulphates of essential elements like K are much more gentle on trees the chlorides but they are more expensive.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 11:23:35 PM »
For the citywater in my small pond i bought some chemical to neutralise the chlorine. I don't know what it is and if it is also good for plants but there is something to neutralise it.

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 12:14:45 AM »
Chlorine has a short term adverse impacts on all fruit trees and burnt tips is one symptom of excess.
This explains everything..........

jcbk101

• TechTacular
  • More mango please!
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL 33411, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 07:35:38 AM »
Chlorine has a short term adverse impacts on all fruit trees and burnt tips is one symptom of excess.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I have burnt tips of most of the bigger tree. Thanks!
If you ain't first you're last! "Ricky Bobby"

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 07:44:23 AM »
I was thinking the exact same thing. I have burnt tips of most of the bigger tree. Thanks!
only on the bigger tree?  If so, I would look elsewhere for the problem.
- Rob

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 09:50:18 AM »
Unless its just been transplanted you should not have to water a mango tree in South Florida.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 12:15:17 PM »
Unless its just been transplanted you should not have to water a mango tree in South Florida.

Depends on how fast you want it to grow.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 01:20:07 PM »
Not sure if your problem is really with Chlorine in the water, but here is a method used by those that brew microbial teas for plants.

they put the water in a bucket, then place it in the sunlight, and sometimes use a bubbler. the bubbles are used to oxygenate  the water for the bio organisms , but I believe it also helps in the chemical process of getting rid of the chlorine.

I know this would be impractical for most people,  but may be useful with those starting sensitive plants and seed starting etc.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 09:33:57 PM »

I watered my ndm because i gave it 500 gram 0-0-60 fertiliser. Today i got 2 collapsed fruits again because of that.

How can i give them a lot of fertiliser without watering? Do i have to spray it daily then? Or just no fertiliser at all during fruiting?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 10:19:21 PM »
In Bangkok you will have to water young trees during the dry season.Larger trees will fruit better and be healthier with weekly deep watering during the dry season as well but should survive fine without watering in a mansoon 1500mm/yr.Town water and its chlorine at low concentration should not cause significant stress.As I said it is the chlorides in strong fertlizers that can burn the tips as can salt.I you are fighting or angry with your tree and want to kill it there are a few choices.If you have no saw or herbicide I suggest a stiff inorganic fertilizer like 20:20:20 or even 0:0:60 should be fine.Apply it close to the trunk and spread out from there.Use way in excess of application rate advised and don't water.Root burn and death will ensue.If you are jealous of a neighbours fruit and want to spoil their crop use any strong fertlizer beneath the canopy and especially close to the trunk.Non lethal doses can kill off the fruit.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 11:05:29 PM »
http://www.dizonexoticfruittrees.com/ref/fer02.htm

Two Months Before Ripening
17-0-17 (1 part), 0-0-60 (1 part)
Mix thoroughly 17-0-17 and 0-0-60 and apply 1 kilo for every 10-kilo fruit. Apply more on less fertile soil or 1.5 kilo for every 10 kilos of fruit.

I asked about fertilising before on this forum and got no responses like good or bad. I read this mr Dizon is a pro so i followed him. My tree is still fine though just as before fertilising which i did some weeks ago.

I did not even put 1 kg or more and i expect about 10 kg of mango's for what i see hanging on it now. I think i did about 400 grams 0-0-60 and put it in holes in the soil

From now on i think i will only use organic fertilisers and no watering at all my tree's are big enough but the fruiting one is here not even 1 year, i bought it at 3-4 metre tall for 1500 baht.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 11:26:55 PM »
It looks excessive in that link to me and the fertlizer in holes style actually can cause problems.I suggest only very light organic fertilzers when fruit is on and water in well.Inorganics are fine after harvest during rainy weather but use less than recommended and never go near the trunk.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 03:20:42 AM »
Yes i also thought it was a lot, 1 kg fertiliser on 10 kg mango but now it is too late i did it allready. I should get very sweet mango's from that.

I will water every week a little bit to flush that fertiliser into the soil.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 03:33:40 AM »
But Mike do you know how it works with fertilisers?

Is 1kg of 0-0-60 the same amount of Potassium as 6 kg 0-0-10?

In terms of commercial fertilizer, average wood ash would probably be about 0-1-3 (N-P-K).

So 1 kg of 0-0-60 contains the same amount of Potassium as 20 kg woodash?

20 kg woodash is a lot, you must burn a whole orchard to get 20 kg of ash i guess.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 04:24:51 AM »
bangkok the key thing is that a potassium slug like that will do a few things like raise the pH and interfer with the uptake of Ca,Mg and a few micronutrients.If it was muriate of potash or patassium chloride the chlorine slug will also be harmful.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 07:10:17 PM »
Well i put a lot of agriculture gypsum all over the garden this year so i hope that will keep the ph neutral then.

Wood ash also has a lot of micronutrients which 0-0-60 don't have. I will only use that from now on so that means i have to bbq more which is fine with me.  http://umaine.edu/publications/2279e/

When i have more time i will investigate about  the npk-question i had. I think most people don't know how it works so i will place my results on the forum so we all can learn from it.

My mango's almost are full size now and the tree is still blooming more. The other ndm has only 1 flower now but it is in the shade after 2 pm. We will get colder weather soon so i hope that will help blooming.

I also bought a passionfruitplant for fun (50 baht) to have nice flowers for christmas. It will be killed as soon as i got the real thing growing here. No Thai can tell me if it will make fruits though.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 08:15:52 PM »
Dolomite is better at raising pH and gives Mg.Gypsum in excess can create a deficiency in Mg,Mn and Fe.It is always better to have a mild balanced NPK with micros and use a dash of dolomite to bring up the pH and use lots of mulch.The passionfruit seeds are ready to roll.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk