Author Topic: New Fruit Similar to Starapple  (Read 38166 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: New Fruit Similar to Starapple
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2013, 04:55:23 AM »
http://www.amjbot.org/content/99/3/585.full

Oscar here it is again. Look below at the post prior to you saying "I read an online scientific paper". Maybe some posts don't show up for some observers.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2013, 05:13:12 AM »
http://www.amjbot.org/content/99/3/585.full

Oscar here it is again. Look below at the post prior to you saying "I read an online scientific paper". Maybe some posts don't show up for some observers.

Thanks Mike. That was the paper i was recalling. Here is main part:
Conclusions: Chrysophyllum cainito is most closely related to a clade containing Central and South American C. argenteum, including subsp. panamense. We hypothesize that caimito is native to southern Mesoamerica and was domesticated from multiple wild populations in Panama. Subsequent migration into northern Mesoamerica and the Antilles was mediated by human cultivation.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2013, 05:36:57 AM »
That is a key part of the article if the origin of star apples is the question being investigated .Your one I presume is C.argenteum subs, auratum and the pearl here is another subspecies of C.argenteum.

dea777

• Orange, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2014, 01:04:32 PM »
Hi Oscar,
By any chance that you will have some seeds available? I've been looking for this variety for years!!
Thanks... ~Daisy

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2014, 05:40:50 PM »
Hi Oscar,
By any chance that you will have some seeds available? I've been looking for this variety for years!!
Thanks... ~Daisy
Been challenging keeping up with orders because each fruit has only one seed. But if you want only a few seeds i should be able to get them to you in about a month or so.
Oscar

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2017, 04:24:39 AM »
Hi Oscar,
How old is the tree and  at what age does it start to bear
fruit? I read somewhere in this thread it doesnt have a season and bear all year round.is it true?the skin looks thinner than chrysophyllum cainito and appears to have more flesh based on the image you posted.really amazes me the fruit flies dont attack those fruits

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2017, 05:15:20 AM »
Hi Oscar,
fruit? I read somewhere in this thread it doesnt have a season and bear all year round.is it true?the skin looks thinner than chrysophyllum cainito and appears to have more flesh based on the image you posted.really amazes me the fruit flies dont attack those fruits

Now the tree is about 14 years old. It started fruiting when about 6 years. I would say it is fruiting about 9 months of the year.
Oscar

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2017, 07:58:16 AM »
is it as cold sensitive as the starapple?

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2017, 09:33:57 AM »
Hi Oscar,

Now the tree is about 14 years old. It started fruiting when about 6 years. I would say it is fruiting about 9 months of the year.
For real!Thats almost year round fruiting.Star apples are rare in malaysia btw and its a seasonal fruit here.This fruit that you have here could be popular in the future since it is very productive and taste like star apple.Does it have a thick rind or thin rind? From the picture it looks thin like sappodilla or abiu skin.I prefer to plant fruits with thick rind due to oriental fruit fly infestation.I just chopped my sapodilla tree due to the fruit infected with maggots

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2017, 01:18:34 AM »
is it as cold sensitive as the starapple?
Don't know.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2017, 01:20:43 AM »
Hi Oscar,

For real!Thats almost year round fruiting.Star apples are rare in malaysia btw and its a seasonal fruit here.This fruit that you have here could be popular in the future since it is very productive and taste like star apple.Does it have a thick rind or thin rind? From the picture it looks thin like sappodilla or abiu skin.I prefer to plant fruits with thick rind due to oriental fruit fly infestation.I just chopped my sapodilla tree due to the fruit infected with maggots

Starapples fruit here also only 2-3 months out of the year. We have oriental fruit fly and never seen them on this fruit, unless they are cracked, even though it is thin skinned.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 01:23:04 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2017, 02:57:34 AM »
Hi Oscar,

Starapples fruit here also only 2-3 months out of the year. We have oriental fruit fly and never seen them on this fruit, unless they are cracked, even though it is thin skinned.
[/quote
Why on earth was this fruit never became popular?its a shame no effort is being made to popularize it.should it made its way to vietnam or the Philippines its going to be hugely popular.those two nation love caimitos.one of the most popular fruit there

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2017, 09:40:00 PM »
I received 5 seeds and only one sprouted, the other 4 rotted. Here is a photo of the winner so far. Not sure if I should transplant since the tap root is so long, any ideas? not sure how fragile this plant is.

Any update on the tree now? How big is the tree as of today?

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2017, 11:37:47 AM »
Found something on the net and just want to share.Apart from subspecies panamensis and auratum there is also another subspecies called nitidum.According to this site it grows to a height of 7 metres
https://floredeguyane.piwigo.com/index?/category/1178-ichrysophyllum_argenteum_i

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2017, 05:28:51 AM »
Found something on the net and just want to share.Apart from subspecies panamensis and auratum there is also another subspecies called nitidum.According to this site it grows to a height of 7 metres
https://floredeguyane.piwigo.com/index?/category/1178-ichrysophyllum_argenteum_i
There are dozens of species in the genus Chrysophyllum. This taxonomy site lists 89 accepted species names: http://www.theplantlist.org/1.1/browse/A/Sapotaceae/Chrysophyllum/y
and i believe they are all edible.
Another species i recently got is C. venezuelanensis. Apparently this one has to be cooked first to be palatable.
Oscar

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2017, 10:42:09 PM »
There are dozens of species in the genus Chrysophyllum. This taxonomy site lists 89 accepted species names: http://www.theplantlist.org/1.1/browse/A/Sapotaceae/Chrysophyllum/y
Another species i recently got is C. venezuelanensis. Apparently this one has to be cooked first to be palatable.
Are there any seeds available now?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2017, 12:44:52 AM »
Are there any seeds available now?
Not right now. Maybe in a couple of months.
Oscar

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2017, 05:53:32 AM »
I suppose by couple of months it will be available in January ? Well I will wait then

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2018, 02:39:55 AM »
Are there fruits now and how tall is the tree now?

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2018, 08:42:58 PM »
 ???
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 08:54:09 PM by Pan Dulce »

apresser

• USA, Hawaii, Haleiwa
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2018, 05:42:59 PM »
Looking for some advice on a Chrysophyllum auratum tree. I've had this tree in the ground for around 4 years and it has been flowering non-stop over the last 6 months but has yet to set any fruit. Does anyone who has experience growing this know if C. Auratum is self pollinating or not? The tree is really healthy and I'm pretty certain its C. Auratum based on the appearance of leaf and musky smell. Some photos of the tree and flowers below. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2018, 12:20:22 AM »
Yes that looks just like mine. Yes it is self pollinating. You might be missing the correct insect pollinator? You could try hand pollination. You could also try giving it a shot of high phossphorous and potassium fertilizer.
Oscar

apresser

• USA, Hawaii, Haleiwa
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2018, 01:35:19 AM »
Yes that looks just like mine. Yes it is self pollinating. You might be missing the correct insect pollinator? You could try hand pollination. You could also try giving it a shot of high phossphorous and potassium fertilizer.

I have tried to hand pollinate (with a thin paintbrush) but with no success. The flowers have no scent (although the leaves have that really strong skunk smell).  I have not seen any insects attracted to the flowers. Also there seems to be almost no pollen in the flowers (although they are so tiny and its hard to tell). I will try the fertilizer you suggest. Thanks for your reply!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2018, 03:02:08 AM »

I have tried to hand pollinate (with a thin paintbrush) but with no success. The flowers have no scent (although the leaves have that really strong skunk smell).  I have not seen any insects attracted to the flowers. Also there seems to be almost no pollen in the flowers (although they are so tiny and its hard to tell). I will try the fertilizer you suggest. Thanks for your reply!
You got the seeds from me? My guess is that the tree is just to young to hold fruit. But fertilizing it will help speed things up. You're in Hawaii i now see, so you should have the right pollinators.
Oscar

Tang Tonic

• US Virgin Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2018, 10:02:32 AM »
Oscar, what time of the year are the seeds available?