Author Topic: Are guavas difficult to graft?  (Read 2743 times)

dxgn

• Singapore
    • View Profile
Are guavas difficult to graft?
« on: March 06, 2014, 05:56:17 AM »
I have tried to do it many times, results are the same. But I am sure someone out there must have done it successfully using a certain method of grafting technique. I am talking about the tropical guavas( psidium guajava). Thanks anyone.

Cheers,
Jet

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Are guavas difficult to graft?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 06:06:47 AM »
Jet most people just use root sucker cuttings, separate trunk suckers ,marcot or grow seeds. Myrtaceae  are not easy to graft so people don't do guavas much.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 07:52:26 AM »
I have been successful grafting guavas. The only success that I've had was using the veneer graft method. That's it. Nothing else has worked for me. Also the freshness of the budwood is critical. I've had the best results when the scions are grafted the same day they were harvested. It seems that once they take, they grow fast. I did not document the time of the year that I performed those grafts. The last successful graft that I performed I think it was in the middle of the winter. It was Red Malaysian Guava and is pushing already. One more thing, it seems like some of the grafts take awhile to push as well. Hope that helps.

dxgn

• Singapore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 10:30:46 AM »
Thanks for the advice. Can I know which cultivar is the for th scion an root stock? Was it growing healthy after the union? I Was thinking of grafting the Malaysian red with a pink one.

Cheers,
Jet

I have been successful grafting guavas. The only success that I've had was using the veneer graft method. That's it. Nothing else has worked for me. Also the freshness of the budwood is critical. I've had the best results when the scions are grafted the same day they were harvested. It seems that once they take, they grow fast. I did not document the time of the year that I performed those grafts. The last successful graft that I performed I think it was in the middle of the winter. It was Red Malaysian Guava and is pushing already. One more thing, it seems like some of the grafts take awhile to push as well. Hope that helps.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 11:08:32 AM »
Good to know cuban. Getting ready to graft some guava myself.
Shane

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 11:10:39 AM »
I've seen guavas done with standard cleft/wedge, it helps if you prep the scion a couple of weeks before.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 11:30:59 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271011262617?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

check out the bottom of this ebay listing...it shows some interesting photos of a guava being topworked.

I've had poor success grafting guavas so far, but I've only made a few feeble attempts.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

MangCau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 11:48:46 AM »
Jet,
The bud graft method works for me.

dxgn

• Singapore
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 12:19:17 PM »
Thanks for all the tips. For those of you who are successful,can you tell me your combination of scion/rootstock cultivars so that I know more about the compatibility before I attempt grafting.

Cheers,
Jet

Jet,

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 12:20:45 PM »
Not easy.... air layering and cuttings(rooting)is much easier

MangCau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 02:18:19 PM »
Thanks for all the tips. For those of you who are successful,can you tell me your combination of scion/rootstock cultivars so that I know more about the compatibility before I attempt grafting.

Cheers,
Jet

Jet,
Hi Jet,
I'm fairly new to this hobby and only bud grafted a few unknown Asian guavas and the seedless type with big round leaves. Budding for me is easier/more successful than veneer or cleft.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk