Author Topic: For Sale: Dolores and Jalisco red guavas and mangos  (Read 10901 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: For Sale: Dolores and Jalisco red guavas and mangos
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2019, 07:23:04 PM »
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 02:19:26 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2019, 08:07:13 PM »
The dolores and jalisco trees i got from you in december are holding fruit now frank.  Thanks.

You are welcome Brad! Can’t we see a pix of the tress ? I want to apologize to everyone, I have not had any time to graft guavas this year. I’m tied up w projects abroad and propagation here...... I like to take this opportunity to refer.....everyone who is interested in these varieties......to my avocado & guava scion sale for only one week starting Monday. I look forward to grafting these varieties in the future. Thank you for yr support.
Frank

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=33356.0

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2019, 12:32:39 PM »
I grafted Jalisco Rojo onto my Orange-Flesh seedling last year. Grew like crazy last year and this year. Got a dozen guavas off the Jalisco Rojo graft this year. Man, that is a great guava! Similar to Ruby Supreme is size and flavor, but I think the Jalisco Rojo has a fuller flavor. Highly recommended!
- Mark

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2019, 04:48:18 PM »
I grafted Jalisco Rojo onto my Orange-Flesh seedling last year. Grew like crazy last year and this year. Got a dozen guavas off the Jalisco Rojo graft this year. Man, that is a great guava! Similar to Ruby Supreme is size and flavor, but I think the Jalisco Rojo has a fuller flavor. Highly recommended!

Thats great to hear Mark! they will produce thousands in 5`6 years. Jalisco Red has the highest brix reading I have ever recorded in any fruit.... 37 brix!!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2019, 10:05:57 PM »
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 02:18:14 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2019, 11:48:28 AM »
Thanks Brad the grow fast!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2019, 04:48:23 PM »
Sold out guavas
Yucatán carmesí
Thai cream

Avocados Sold out
Gem
Jan Boyce
Sharwill

CML

• Torrance, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2019, 11:12:34 PM »
Better have the proper equipment and knowledge or you'll waste lots of time and money like I did.

I purchased 10 scions (5 Dolores, 5 Jalisco Reds) from Frank a month ago based on his assurance that I could place them on a warming mat next to a window, soaked in KLN rooting hormone. I invested in vermicullite, KLN solution, a domed lid with tray, and $57 for the 10 scions. Frank told me to "watch YouTube videos" to figure out the rest. The videos I found grow them outside in "propagation huts"--completely beyond my capacity. Within 5 days almost all the leaves fell off. I quickly visited with my local hydroponics store, who told me they were receiving insufficient light. So I purchased a special light bulb and have been lighting them 18 hours/day and misting twice a day. Now, two weeks later, almost all are dead, with no roots in sight.  Complete waste of time and money.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2019, 11:47:27 PM »
There are NO guarantees in this hobby do you understand that!! We’ve all failed many times before we succeed. The only thing all of us,  who sell scions and cuttings, guarantee is viable cuttings or scions you got that’s, the rest is on you...go find another hobby!!

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2019, 12:21:07 AM »
Better have the proper equipment and knowledge or you'll waste lots of time and money like I did.

I purchased 10 scions (5 Dolores, 5 Jalisco Reds) from Frank a month ago based on his assurance that I could place them on a warming mat next to a window, soaked in KLN rooting hormone. I invested in vermicullite, KLN solution, a domed lid with tray, and $57 for the 10 scions. Frank told me to "watch YouTube videos" to figure out the rest. The videos I found grow them outside in "propagation huts"--completely beyond my capacity. Within 5 days almost all the leaves fell off. I quickly visited with my local hydroponics store, who told me they were receiving insufficient light. So I purchased a special light bulb and have been lighting them 18 hours/day and misting twice a day. Now, two weeks later, almost all are dead, with no roots in sight.  Complete waste of time and money.

Success in grafting and rooting comes with practice and patience. I am an expert grafting and still fail but a big failure in rooting. Something doesn't work for you doesn't mean it's waste of money for others. May be you should have started of with one or two to get your hands on it, learn. It's not a cake walk nor is it a rocket science.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 12:25:33 AM by behlgarden »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2019, 12:42:51 AM »
It’s amazing how this newbie goes off on a tangent and somehow thinks there are guarantees in this hobby. We only guarantee the viability of the material we are selling. For him to go off like this is foolish and naive.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2019, 01:56:36 AM »
Sorry you had a difficult experience clm, but I will say that Frank has tons of experience and that what may be easy for him, and routine to moderately challenging for those with experience, may end up being very difficult for a beginner. Sounds to me like you don't have much experience rooting cuttings. I myself rooted over 500 cuttings last year with moderate success, and I'm still refining my technique and figuring out what I like.

I have personally bought cuttings and trees from Frank, and they were all healthy and in great condition (some freshly cut in front of my eyes). Frank is very knowledgeable, perhaps one of the most knowledgeable members on the forum. His expertise in tropical and subtropical plants is unparalleled. If he says the cuttings were viable, then I would listen to him. Perhaps you got in a little over your head thinking it was easy? It's certainly possible. In this field, success is never guaranteed, and lots of things can go wrong. Rooting can be easy with the right technique, but the more you fidget with a cutting the higher your chances of failure, and sounds like you messed with those cuttings quite a bit.  I agree with the poster above that it would be best to start off with a smaller number of cuttings or practice for a few months and consider your costs the price of learning. I failed multiple times grafting and rooting and airlayering and have had to learn the hard way. My success rate is not perfect, but it's much better than before, and that's after spending lots of money on supplies, cuttings, etc.

I'm assuming you are new because I only see 2 posts from you. Several other experienced members have already posted that they've had great results with the cuttings being sold. My advice is to troubleshoot your failures and try again. Some things are easier to root than others. Try the figpop method - look it up and see if you can modify it to suit your needs. Try with something easy and common first, then shoot for the exotic and rare that someone like Frank offers and don't expect 100% success. Failures can and will happen.

On a side note, this forum is welcoming to all but tends to have a higher number of more experienced growers and those looking for a challenge or to push boundaries. I have joined and then quit many plant Facebook groups simply because there wasn't enough expert opinion -- too many simple basic questions and I just wasn't learning much. This forum - again while welcoming to beginners - is not as easy access as Facebook and this tends to attract those who really want to dig into the knowledge and experience of other committed growers. I recommend reading some older posts, developing a solid fund of knowledge, then posting pictures and explanations of your setup and your findings. You may get some members to help you out and give some useful pointers.

In short, Frank sells some high quality hard to find/one of a kind stuff. If he's got something you want, pay for it but do your homework and make sure your technique and setup are legit, and even then there are no guarantees when dealing with live plant material

K

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2019, 09:19:54 AM »
I purchased 5 each of the Delores and Jalisco scion wood from Frank this September. They were the best looking scion wood I have purchased, healthy and well packed in medium. I grafted my scions and waiting for them to take. Also got many avocado scion wood from Frank and they were also excellent cuttings, fresh and strong.

CML

• Torrance, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2019, 09:22:21 AM »
To his credit, Frank refunded my money when I asked, minus shipping and handling. His response was accompanied by this lovely note:

You got yr $50 refund you don’t get shipping and handling....now buzz off and find another hobby you fucking moron.

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2019, 01:35:17 PM »
To his credit, Frank refunded my money when I asked, minus shipping and handling. His response was accompanied by this lovely note:

You got yr $50 refund you don’t get shipping and handling....now buzz off and find another hobby you fucking moron.

wow you really had to do something to get frank mad then.  He is one of the most patient and well tempered members on here.   Trust me he doesn't do this just for the money.  Not only does he provide great plant material but a wealth of knowledge.  I don't think there have been a time he hasn't answered a question i had that i didn't find on this forum.  LOL  i wouldn't be surprise one of these days he would tell me to buzz off but he hasn't yet.  I don't do this much but Frank is someone i respect and has always been there for me. 

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2019, 07:49:29 PM »

wow you really had to do something to get frank mad then.  He is one of the most patient and well tempered members on here.   Trust me he doesn't do this just for the money.  Not only does he provide great plant material but a wealth of knowledge.  I don't think there have been a time he hasn't answered a question i had that i didn't find on this forum.  LOL  i wouldn't be surprise one of these days he would tell me to buzz off but he hasn't yet.  I don't do this much but Frank is someone i respect and has always been there for me.

This guy is a lowlife and he tried to blackmail for his failures.....I am glad to expose this loser. Thanks to him I will never sell anything to a newbie.

SF

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2019, 12:42:42 PM »
The recent updates was a killjoy. When I saw the thread pop up in the sale section I was excited with the possibility of picking up some guava scions, and that excitement did not last for long!!!!!

During the recent sale I picked up scions from Frank, and had some success. The bit of failure I encountered is completely my fault, since I did not make a good transition when scaling up for quantities. The techniques I used after my test guava rooting (based off a box store bought in-ground tree), was not fool-proof when attempting with a larger volume of cuttings. Well there is always Round #3 (hopefully?).

CML, I do not know what your expectations were when you purchased the scions, or why you considered these specific varieties. If the objective is to have guava fruits for the yard, purchasing one from a box store is an easier option, for calling it a day. One ventures into fringe techniques of grafting/propagation only if they were seeking unique fruits/cultivars not readily available at their local nurseries. Otherwise it is not worth one’s time, effort and not to mention money involved to coddle these trees.

FWIW the instructions you obtained from Frank are a good starting point, and yes the yt videos are mostly from commercial nurseries conducting high volume propagation. For backyard garden scenario there needs to be some scaling back and retrofitting. Most members in this site probably have a greenhouse for their fruit growing hobby. For Newbies like us, a transparent storage box is a good starting point. I personally like the flip-top storage box from business Costco, they seem to provide a better control on heat/humidity control for my purposes.

Besides seedlings, guavas are traditionally propagated by grafting i.e. foolproof (with the assumption one is good with grafting). Vegetative propagation or rooting is possible with the above instructions, but needs a bit more precision to be successful.

IMO your experience could have been different, if you had reached out and posted a question in this forum when you encountered the initial setback. I am certain someone would have chimed in to assist/salvage the cuttings. Visiting a hydroponics store had only one possible outcome - more equipment purchases… Readily available sunlight with good moisture and drainage control for the cuttings is what appears critical for guava rooting success.

Like mentioned by another member this forum is active, but current conversations tends to be bleeding edge exotic fruit growing. For example guava related discussion occurred about five years ago in these threads!, and yes there is a sprinkling of details on different types of propagation. In other words the problems with growing guava has been solved/addressed in the past and now is no longer actively discussed.

I am happy to have found this forum, and have made use of the sale threads on few different occasions. Everyone I have connected with has been friendly, tremendously helpful and patient with random newbie questions from me. Frank is one of them, and easily one of the most knowledgeable persons I know who inspires me to keep discovering exceptional fruits.

Frank, I am sorry you encountered this off-key transaction. I hope you will reconsider selling stuff to newbie! I need more guavas in my life lol

Cheers,
Priya
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 12:55:27 PM by SF »

SF

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2019, 12:51:46 PM »
Ah! after posting I realized my forum handle SF is similar to JF!! Funny coincidence. Just a side note SF is an acronym for my ongoing plant growing activities, and did not think much when I created my account. I didn't anticipate having any info/background to contribute in this forum, but had to chime in when I came across the recent postings.

Happy weekend everyone.

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2019, 07:28:16 PM »
hey Frank also interested in a jalisco tree

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2019, 01:04:15 AM »
Well said Priya! Take care
-Chris

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2019, 11:28:05 AM »
Hi Priya
I don’t consider you a newbie I known you from a few years in the tastings in San Diego. What you are saying is common sense......we’ve all gone thru hundreds of scions and cuttings before being proficient this guy was just a scammer. You are right I shouldn’t punish newbies for one bad apple.
Frank

Turtle, I haven’t had time to graft up guavas. I don’t want to promise a timetable please text me every few months.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 01:02:23 PM by JF »

Divantie

• CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2019, 03:55:03 AM »
Regardless of what happen, there is a lack of professionalism on the seller calling your customer a newbie, loser and lowlife.