Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 940113 times)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #2700 on: July 16, 2018, 07:12:23 PM »
My neighbor has a DF likely over 20 years old which is growing on a tall Flame/Flambouyant/ Royal Poinciana tree (Delonix Regia) here on Pine Island, Lee County, SW Florida. The DF is nearing full bloom and is every bit as flowerful on the far side. It is a white fleshed variety rather plain in taste.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: July 16, 2018, 07:55:24 PM »

Cool.  It looks like the peruvian strain right?

Not sure. I got the DFs from the new Ranch 99 at balboa and I thought these were from Ecuador

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: July 21, 2018, 12:15:10 AM »
My neighbor has a DF likely over 20 years old which is growing on a tall Flame/Flambouyant/ Royal Poinciana tree (Delonix Regia) here on Pine Island, Lee County, SW Florida. The DF is nearing full bloom and is every bit as flowerful on the far side. It is a white fleshed variety rather plain in taste.

Wow! That was Probably quite the site when they bloomed! Wish I had a tree open enough for them to grow on. All my trees provide too much shade

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: July 21, 2018, 12:25:08 AM »
Has anyone grown sugar dragon in South Florida?

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: July 21, 2018, 01:43:58 PM »
Has anyone grown sugar dragon in South Florida?
Yes

Wolfie

• USA, Arizona 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: July 21, 2018, 09:31:24 PM »
I have 2 questions after spending 4 days reading this thread.

Has anyone produced a chart of Dragon fruit varieties and if they are self fertile, or need to be crossed and what with?

And I spotted a seller on Ebay that has cuttings of Sugar Dragon, S8 the seller is linhthai75. The reason why i ask, is i sent a message to them about one of their listings and never received a response, though I noticed the listing had been changed to reflect some of what I asked.

I currently grow, American Beauty, an unknown variety that the previous owner never got to fruit, though they had it under a bench in full shade and seedlings of a yellow. I also am mentoring two neighbor boys who are enthusiastic about growing their own food and at the last AZRFG sale they bought a rooted cutting that was just labeled 'White'

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: July 21, 2018, 09:49:00 PM »
Bought this yellow dragon at the grocery store with a very lengthy piece of stem, about 2 to 2 1/3" inches long

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #2707 on: July 21, 2018, 10:30:06 PM »
Bought this yellow dragon at the grocery store with a very lengthy piece of stem, about 2 to 2 1/3" inches long

Great find!!

Some people try to root the small cutting.

One person I know tried to tissue culture a small piece of stem.

Most people I know try to graft the small piece of stem onto a rooted Dragon Fruit plant.

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: July 22, 2018, 08:51:59 PM »

Great find!!

Some people try to root the small cutting.

One person I know tried to tissue culture a small piece of stem.

Most people I know try to graft the small piece of stem onto a rooted Dragon Fruit plant.
[/quote]

Thanks!
I was surprised myself to find one with a niece piece of the stem still attached.
I'm going to try to root the cutting, since I'm not that experienced with the latter of the 2 methods.
The fruit itself was still sweet and delicious even though the skin had lots more green than the ones I usually purchased.
I'm going to be looking to see if I can find more with the same size stem I got this time around to try the grafting method.
Crossing my fingers and hope I find more.
I think the cashier thought I was crazy to have bought such green fruit...lol

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: July 25, 2018, 11:02:31 PM »
Want to try some self pollinating varieties of DF, where is best place in South East Florida to find DF actually sold by variety or plant name versus just red or white DF???

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: August 02, 2018, 07:04:17 PM »
Here’s a picture of a double dragon and triple dragon 🐉 . The Double dragon is from American Beauty and the triple dragon is from Simon’s Purple. I believe the largest number I’ve grown is 6-8 Fruit on one branch of my Sugar Dragon but I have to check my old pictures to confirm.

Simon

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: August 04, 2018, 10:21:05 AM »
Wow!

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: August 04, 2018, 08:17:59 PM »
Are these ready to pick?

These were fertilized on or about June 18th

These on or about July 7th

I think it is time to take the first batch.  It has been 40 days and they look ready.  I will appreciate any suggestions on making the call.  Also, if you can tell from the fruit what it is I will very much appreciate knowing.  The first 2 pictures are the same fruit, it is easily 7 cm in diameter, maybe even more and has this really nice pink color to the fruit.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: August 04, 2018, 09:20:39 PM »
Are these ready to pick?

These were fertilized on or about June 18th

These on or about July 7th

I think it is time to take the first batch.  It has been 40 days and they look ready.  I will appreciate any suggestions on making the call.  Also, if you can tell from the fruit what it is I will very much appreciate knowing.  The first 2 pictures are the same fruit, it is easily 7 cm in diameter, maybe even more and has this really nice pink color to the fruit.

Love the look of the red ones, what variety is it?
Brad Spaugh

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: August 04, 2018, 10:16:27 PM »
Unfortunately I don"t know.
I took lots of cuttings from friends when I started down the dragon fruit road, they were unnamed.
I am trying to get them identified now.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2715 on: August 04, 2018, 11:53:09 PM »
Those are ready to pick. The Fruit in the fourth picture with green fins can use a few days to sweeten some more but it can be picked now if you’re not worried about maximizing sweetness.

Simon

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: August 05, 2018, 12:05:31 AM »
And this is why I wonder why folks sell DF cuttings for $7-$8 apiece to fellow board members? For a plant that propagates a clone of itself easier than any other. I wonder why Nopales Tuna's are not $8 a fruit or cutting when they can have much tastier fruit than DF.
So weird how Hype works in culture and translates over to a comparatively bland tasting fruit.
I really enjoy Megalanthus fruits, Have yet to try a tasty red or white mesocarp DF.
Ive had flowers but no fruit on Voodoo Child, Halley's Comet and Physical Graffiti and Valdivia Roja.

I don't get it either. I've read Sooo... many people who are kool aid hype in love with DF and I have yet to taste a DF that comes anywhere near even a sub par lowly cactus pear. DF are to me like a bland watery watermelon.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 12:08:36 AM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: August 05, 2018, 01:14:13 AM »
And this is why I wonder why folks sell DF cuttings for $7-$8 apiece to fellow board members? For a plant that propagates a clone of itself easier than any other.
I wonder why Nopales Tuna's are not $8 a fruit or cutting when they can have much tastier fruit than DF.
So weird how Hype works in culture and translates over to a comparatively bland tasting fruit.
I really enjoy Megalanthus fruits, Have yet to try a tasty red or white mesocarp DF.
Ive had flowers but no fruit on Voodoo Child, Halley's Comet and Physical Graffiti and Valdivia Roja.

Most of the ground clutter that I don't end up cleaning up and throwing away will eventually try and root. Even the tiny, underdeveloped tips or shaded branches that fall behind my pots against my house I find trying to put out new shoots. In a hospitable environment these plants are very good at reproducing themselves through discarded branch materials, and I think if the end times ever came, they would take over my neighborhood in little time.

Bush2beach,
If you're in the San Diego area, pm me and you can sample some of my fruit, it will likely change your mind. I like tunas also but their seeds are rock hard like guavas and their glochids are a pain to remove. Many of the commercial growers harvest their fruit much too early and I don’t blame them because they need the shelf life but it significantly reduces the eating quality.

I have been giving away Dragonfruit cuttings and various other plant materials for the past 20 years but now that I’m starting a nursery, it’s costing a fortune and we have to recover costs.

Simon

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: August 05, 2018, 04:10:36 AM »
And this is why I wonder why folks sell DF cuttings for $7-$8 apiece to fellow board members? For a plant that propagates a clone of itself easier than any other. I wonder why Nopales Tuna's are not $8 a fruit or cutting when they can have much tastier fruit than DF.

I don't get it either. I've read Sooo... many people who are kool aid hype in love with DF and I have yet to taste a DF that comes anywhere near even a sub par lowly cactus pear. DF are to me like a bland watery watermelon.
Bland watery watermelon!
Take Simons offer and try some decent varieties! You won’t be disappointed! There is a lot of crap, tastless varieties out there, usually white fleshed, that are picked way too early just to supply the market. I personally won’t eat white fleshed varieties any more due to the lack of flavour depth. And home grown is the only way to go. Pick them when they are ready to eat and they are brilliant!

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: August 05, 2018, 04:14:16 AM »
And this is why I wonder why folks sell DF cuttings for $7-$8 apiece to fellow board members? For a plant that propagates a clone of itself easier than any other.
I wonder why Nopales Tuna's are not $8 a fruit or cutting when they can have much tastier fruit than DF.

Most of the ground clutter that I don't end up cleaning up and throwing away will eventually try and root. Even the tiny, underdeveloped tips or shaded branches that fall behind my pots against my house I find trying to put out new shoots. In a hospitable environment these plants are very good at reproducing themselves through discarded branch materials, and I think if the end times ever came, they would take over my neighborhood in little time.

Bush2beach,
If you're in the San Diego area, pm me and you can sample some of my fruit, it will likely change your mind. I like tunas also but their seeds are rock hard like guavas and their glochids are a pain to remove. Many of the commercial growers harvest their fruit much too early and I don’t blame them because they need the shelf life but it significantly reduces the eating quality.

I have been giving away Dragonfruit cuttings and various other plant materials for the past 20 years but now that I’m starting a nursery, it’s costing a fortune and we have to recover costs.

Simon
Congrats on the nursery start Simon. Hope it all goes well for you.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: August 05, 2018, 08:12:50 AM »
Thanks Rannman, it’s a lot of work but so far it’s a labor of love.

Simon

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: August 05, 2018, 09:08:58 AM »

Bland watery watermelon!
Take Simons offer and try some decent varieties! You won’t be disappointed! There is a lot of crap, tastless varieties out there, usually white fleshed, that are picked way too early just to supply the market. I personally won’t eat white fleshed varieties any more due to the lack of flavour depth. And home grown is the only way to go. Pick them when they are ready to eat and they are brilliant!

Yup, bland watery watermelon. I get that fruit picked too early sucks I can attest to that with my personal experience with fruit trees, but I'll deal with great flavor and seeds any day since I do not have diverticulitis and I do have a tongue :-)

Anyway, between collector tastings (I don't remember names of things I did not like) and trying them at nurseries (all were red)  I don't think I'll waste time pursuing them.  A friend has a red type (he doesn't don't know the name) and it's always sickly looking with disappearing green sections leaving behind an ugly woody core and I have on several occasions had his ripened on the plant and feel the same about the flavor.

If anyone would show me one that was at the very least as sweet as a store bought tuna (which is not IMO a particularly sweet fruit) I'd likely buy one to diversify my collection of fruits.

Regards,

Gary

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: August 05, 2018, 09:41:01 AM »
Thanks Rannman, it’s a lot of work but so far it’s a labor of love.

Simon

You are now a slave to your plants, enjoy!   ;D

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: August 05, 2018, 09:57:26 AM »
Haha Mark, I’m a slave to my day job and gardening sets me free. I’m a realist however and realize that starting an orchard now turnes what used to be my release into a dayjob.

Simon

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: August 05, 2018, 02:37:33 PM »
I picked 4 of them and left the ones showing a little green for later.
The large pink one had stayed on too long.  It was sun burnt or browned on one side and had started going soft.

Here are the 4 I picked.

The large one was much larger than 7 cm across, more like 13 on the long side.
Will talk about the taste if it is deserving :)