Author Topic: Epicotyl Grafting...Update.  (Read 36002 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: Epicotyl Grafting...Update.
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2012, 06:36:53 AM »
As Steven says, plant your grafted avocados in the ground soon. 

I would rather a fresh, fast-growing one-gallon grafted avocado than a 30-gallon one that has been in the nursery three years.

Hi Har,
Most definitely ;) My aunt bought several plants and the carambola was really pot bound...it took a long time for the tree to get going :o

Hi John,
It's always awesome to help others...sharing ideas and advices, the works :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2012, 07:14:28 AM »
With most pot-bound fruit trees, severe root pruning is the recommended remedy, but avocados lend themselves less readily to such.
Har

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2012, 03:09:30 PM »
With most pot-bound fruit trees, severe root pruning is the recommended remedy, but avocados lend themselves less readily to such.

Har,
Thanks for the tip :) Though, I learn't my lesson and i'll stay clear of root bounded trees ;) Too much hassle :o
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2012, 10:18:58 PM »

even though i am convinced that root pruning can be a good thing in case of root bound i have little experience in doing so and it feels to me like a tricky/delicate operation. Any tips on how to achieve a good root pruning?  Apart from avocados what are the other species that can not stand it?
Samuel
Reunion Island

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2012, 01:12:33 AM »

even though i am convinced that root pruning can be a good thing in case of root bound i have little experience in doing so and it feels to me like a tricky/delicate operation. Any tips on how to achieve a good root pruning?  Apart from avocados what are the other species that can not stand it?

Don't know much about pruning roots, but on the rare occassion that I'm planting a root-bound plant, I simply try to unravel the biggest roots and keep them intact.    If roots do get cut when moving plants, I try to keep the above/below ground balance by pruning some above-ground leafy matter.

Cashew is one species that doesn't tolerate root pruning or transplanting well.  They usually lose all their leaves and then slowly recover.

John
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

HawaiiFruitGrower

• Maui, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2013, 03:46:51 AM »
i have some avocado seedlings that are about 4 months old, they have a pencil width stock and are about 2 1/2 ft tall, my question is can i start grafting them now or do i have to wait that o so boring 1 year so the rootstock can get big? I  did one on a seedling that was one year old but the wait was forever, so is it possible to do a graft the young stocks?

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2013, 04:53:14 AM »
If the rootstock is approximately the same diameter as the scion you'll be grafting, then it's a great time to graft. 

If your seedling is not yet thick enough for the scion, and still in a pot or bag, I recommend planting in its permanent location now and graft in the field when it's ready.  Avocados left in the bag too long seem to grow slowly in the field, presumeably due to absence of a good taproot and/or exhausted nutrition from the seed.

John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2013, 06:09:55 AM »
If the rootstock is approximately the same diameter as the scion you'll be grafting, then it's a great time to graft. 

If your seedling is not yet thick enough for the scion, and still in a pot or bag, I recommend planting in its permanent location now and graft in the field when it's ready.  Avocados left in the bag too long seem to grow slowly in the field, presumeably due to absence of a good taproot and/or exhausted nutrition from the seed.

John
hmm,  havent seen or heard of issues with graft take percentages here by using rootstocks that are in pots.  Everybody I know does it with rootstocks still in pots.  I have seen the take percentage  go down a little as the rootstock get older...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:17:43 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2013, 06:19:37 AM »
Hi Hawaiifruit grower,

You can go ahead and graft the 4 month old rootstock. I graft mine when they are two weeks old ;) The bigger the stone, thicker is the epi shoot 8)
Time is like a river.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2013, 10:57:56 AM »
Hi Hawaiifruit grower,

You can go ahead and graft the 4 month old rootstock. I graft mine when they are two weeks old ;) The bigger the stone, thicker is the epi shoot 8)
Steven, what type of graft do you use on your 2-monthers and is your scion very young tender growth?

HawaiiFruitGrower

• Maui, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2013, 12:01:33 PM »
ok guys thanks, i think will just graft them now, i just feel waiting that long for rootstock to become of mature age is way to long. This way you only need to wait a couple of months even a couple of weeks like JackfruitWhisper69 said. I will be grafting some kahaluu and ota scions on to some unknown seedlings. Thanks!! :D :D :D

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2013, 12:10:11 PM »
Hi Hawaiifruit grower,

Steven, what type of graft do you use on your 2-monthers and is your scion very young tender growth?

Hi Scott,
The rootstocks I use are 2 weeks and older...they callus quite fast. The type of graft is Epicotyl graft...i usually call them Epi's ;D
The scions are semi mature or mature.

Here's a vid, I made :)
Avocado Epicotyl Grafting

Here's a link.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=1982.msg27168#msg27168

You're most welcome, Hawaiifruitgrower, good luck with the grafts :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:13:22 PM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2013, 03:55:19 PM »

Thanks for the helpful video.  For a beginning grafter like me, it was great.

romecar911

• USA, CA/Southern. HB
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2013, 04:47:19 PM »
Nice video Steven. I like that you added the result at the end so we can see that it took. I gather that soft wood like avocados are easier because it flexes etc.. Neither one of my two veneer grafts in my apricot tree looks promising while I had some luck with my avocado tree. Thanks.

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2013, 05:53:16 PM »
What kind of potting mix do you use for your avocado seedlings?

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2013, 05:56:54 PM »

John
hmm,  havent seen or heard of issues with graft take percentages here by using rootstocks that are in pots.  Everybody I know does it with rootstocks still in pots.  I have seen the take percentage  go down a little as the rootstock get older...

Bsbullie, I haven't heard of issues with graft take percentages using rootstocks that are in pots either.   My point is that avocados left in bags too long will grow very slowly in the field, compared to the same age seedlings planted early in the field.  So if the diameter of the seedling isn't big enough to graft when young, best to get it in the ground and graft later.  The same is probably true with any fruit tree with a strong taproot.

Last year I planted approximately 40 avocado grafts.   One-third of these were in bags for 6 months because I couldn't get scion wood.  These gew much slower than the grafts put in the ground when very young.

I prefer to graft mangos in the field too, because the polyembryonic mango rootstock shoots are too thin to  graft until they are 6-9 months old.

John
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 06:06:28 PM by jcaldeira »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2013, 06:05:31 PM »
some times you gotta do what u gotta do.  This illama rootstock is going on 3yrs old I bet...but I grafted several scions onto the lower branches.  I will prune the tree accordingly, after the grafts show their true colors (a nice "genova red")

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

HawaiiFruitGrower

• Maui, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »
Ok so i have just grafted all my seedlings, 3 to be exact. I did all of them with cleft grafts because they seem to always catch with avos. Hopefully in 3 weeks they take, i will be very happy. Jcaldeira i dont want to plant them in the ground because i have no more space for any plants and these will be given away if they do catch, our soil here in Kahului in maui where i live is a coral sand type of soil, believe it or not Maui was two different islands millions of years ago, the winds blew the sand and created the middle area of Maui turning the two into one. The soil is junk it really lacks nutrients, only mangos and citrus thrive in this soil with some others.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2013, 10:26:49 PM »
Steven, nice video thanks for sharing, I've not tried grafting such young seeding yet but now I must try this technique> 8) :) 

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2013, 05:56:41 AM »
The advantage of grafting in a pot is you can move the pot in a place where the plant can adapt to your weather conditions before plant it in the field and this for a few months not longer. This method is used here during the winter to adapt the avocados to the cold weather.
Mike

HawaiiFruitGrower

• Maui, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2013, 06:01:31 AM »
Totally agree with you Msk, i can see if your plants were already planted out in the field and then grafted but yes when its in a pot you can move it around, give it away, etc.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2013, 07:32:40 AM »
Thanks for the helpful video.  For a beginning grafter like me, it was great.

Hi Venturabananas, you're most welcome :) This graft is quite easy and forgiving. The only problem with this graft, is that the rootstock tends to send suckers in the first few weeks, so you should keep a sharp eye and remove any that sprout. These suckers are very vigorous and can weaken the graft.  :) 
Time is like a river.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2013, 08:27:23 AM »
Nice video Steven. I like that you added the result at the end so we can see that it took. I gather that soft wood like avocados are easier because it flexes etc.. Neither one of my two veneer grafts in my apricot tree looks promising while I had some luck with my avocado tree. Thanks.

Hi Romecar911,
 Thanks :) I have tried soft, young wood...it's ain't worth it. Go with semi-hard or mature, with the buds, that are nice and fat ;D
 I wouldn't recommend doing side vaneer grafts for stone fruit, this graft is more for evergreen trees. I only use cleft, whip, and whip and tongue graft for stone or temperate fruits.  I grafted my two year old, apricot seedling, about a week ago and i used the cleft graft method. I need to share the bottle graft.  that My uncle showed this method to my dad, like 20+ years ago...now i got this method up my sleeve ;D This method is excellent for them temperate fruits and also for citrus. :) 

What kind of potting mix do you use for your avocado seedlings?

Hi Jeff;
I use normal soil (70%), mixed with worm castings(15%) and well decomposed compost(15%). Any well drainable soil is great for starting avo seedlings :) try get a nice deep pot for starting Avo rootstocks. From what i have seen, they prefer a nice deep pot for the development of the root system.  :)

Steven, nice video thanks for sharing, I've not tried grafting such young seeding yet but now I must try this technique> 8) :) 

Hi Scott, You're most welcome :) Try this method and you will see, how easy it is for grafting them avo's 8) Dude, Avo's used to kisk my ass and laugh at my failed attemps :'( Now, they are very submissive and do what i say ;D ;D ;D     
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:30:10 AM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2013, 12:21:04 PM »

Hi Romecar911,
 Thanks :) I have tried soft, young wood...it's ain't worth it. Go with semi-hard or mature, with the buds, that are nice and fat ;D
 I wouldn't recommend doing side vaneer grafts for stone fruit, this graft is more for evergreen trees. I only use cleft, whip, and whip and tongue graft for stone or temperate fruits.  I grafted my two year old, apricot seedling, about a week ago and i used the cleft graft method. I need to share the bottle graft.  that My uncle showed this method to my dad, like 20+ years ago...now i got this method up my sleeve ;D This method is excellent for them temperate fruits and also for citrus. :) 
Ok Steven, you peaked my interest now you must share this bottle graft technique please ??? 8)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2013, 06:36:07 PM »
Scott, Will share as soon as possible, just waiting to see some action from my plum tree, then I will do this method. This method is great for folks that have a dry climate and low humidity, during spring and early summer.  :)
Time is like a river.