Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 632123 times)

Meaghan

• Archer, FL Zone 8B
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1300 on: July 24, 2016, 02:17:51 PM »
Hi everyone!

Just found this forum, we have been growing tropical (and not tropical) fruit trees for a year now but we expanded from just a couple trees last year to a few dozen trees this year. We're in north-central Florida, zone 8B, so we keep the majority in pots (we tried a few in ground last year and had mixed success). Right now, we've got the following in pots:

Mango: Kent, Southern Blush, Nam Doc Mai, Pram Kai Mea, Lemon Zest, Duncan, and Coconut Cream.
Avacado: Day and Florida Hass
Lychee: Sweetheart and an unknown variety.
Guava: standard pink/red apple
Longan: Kohala
Rambutan: Arka Coorg Arun
Mangosteen
Pulasan
Maprang
Charichuelo

And the following in ground:
Mango: Nam Doc Mai, Kent, Southern Blush, and Duncan
Avacado: Brogden
Orange: Valencia and Wasington Navel
Lemon: Meyer
Banana: Willams
Guava: standard pink/red apple
Pomegranate: Sienevyi
Kiwi vines: Issac and Vincent

Not tropical but we also have these in ground:
Peach: Suncrest and unknown varities
Nectarine: Mericrest
Plum: unknown varities
Apricot: Royal Blenheim
Cherry: Bing
Apple: Fuji and a golden variety
Pear: Bosc and Bartlett
Pear-Apple hybrid: Shinseiki

We also have a few sprouts and seeds, including Arka Coorg Patib Rambutan, Lemon Cattley Guava, Sapodilla, Sugar Apple, Gac, Salak, and Makak that I'm going to work on sprouting this summer. I also have some dragonfruit cuttings but I had no luck rooting the ones I had last year so I don't hold out hope for these either.

Ornamentally we have pulmeria and hibiscus of several varieties in pots as well.

I joined to get somet tips and tricks, we're going to stick with containers on the ones that are in pots just due to the mixed results last year of growing tropicals in ground because we had a really bad series of freezes and lost a couple despite covers, heat lights, etc. I'm even considering uprooting the Brogden and citrus since we don't have backups in pots, but I don't know how well that would go as they have been growing in ground for over a year now. At some point I'd like to learn how to graft too, but I know that I'm nowhere near ready for that!

I'm probably not going to be super active, because we have a small farm (goats, pigs, poultry, etc.) along with day jobs, but I thought I'd say hello! :)

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 19, 2016, 12:59:59 PM »
Hello, might be late to the scene, but I'm a SoCal 13 year old who grows the following

Taiwan century guava
Ruby Supreme guava
Taiwan Pearl Guava
Page orange
Mandarins
Mangoes (Pickering,VP, and Keitt)
Soursop
Vanilla
Cacao
Loquat(2)
White Sapote
Sugar Apple
El Bumpo Cherimoya
Atemoya
Hak ip lychee
Meyer lemons
Mexican papaya
Banana
Passion fruit
Dragon Fruit
Monstera deliciosa

Will get more soon! Pleasure to officially meet yall

Vincent

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: October 07, 2016, 10:04:25 AM »
Located in Punta Gorda,FL. My name is Vincent. Atemoyas, lychee, jackfruit, mango, sugar apples some of my favorites. Recently planted out several trees.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: October 07, 2016, 10:59:08 AM »
Just wanted to welcome all the new TFF members  :)
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: October 20, 2016, 10:49:29 PM »
I live in Pensacola Fl and am growing dekopon/shiranui, blood orange,navel oranges, meyers lemens, xie shan, owari, ponkan, hamlin oranges, apples Anna, golden dorsett, en shimer, sugar cane, methley plums, persian limes, barbados cherries, all sorts of blackberries, mission and arbequina olives.  Experimenting with new forms of cold frames. I love citrus and all its challenges in particular and am currently  studying dekopon in ground performance  here at 8b 9a. 

Jon

• US NY Zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: October 23, 2016, 12:49:32 PM »
Hi everybody,
My name is Jon, and  I would like to start off by thanking all those that are responsible for creating this wonderful forum, thank you for having me.
 I am an animal and plant love her with it and fences on tropical fruits and tropical trees that I try and grow in my inside room in our house in New York.
 I have been growing for many years house plants and for the last 10 years on and off Jack fridge and mangoes from seeds but have never seriously set up a grow room like I have presently done.
 Presently my grow room as for fixtures of a 4 foot long T5 fluorescent bulbs, one is set up on the ceiling overhead and the others are on three sides of the plant area.   I am presently growing jack fruit from seed a mango from rootstock and a rainbow eucalyptus that I just purchased a month ago.    I look forward to sharing the little I know and learning as much as I can from all of you folks that have far more experience than I do. For work I have been a teacher of meditation and various forms of yoga ,  for the last 45 years, I enjoy working with people that want to experience direct realization through light prayer and meditation in a natural setting and a natural lifestyle.

Jon

ijichan

• Malaysia, Sarawak, Kuching
    • View Profile
    • Biotech Alliance International
« Reply #1306 on: November 01, 2016, 12:47:45 AM »
Hi all,

My name is Ian and firstly I would like to sincerely thank all those responsible for creating and moderating this wonderful forum.
I stay close to the equator in the tropical island of Borneo, so we are fortunate to have a selection of tropical fruits year round.
I have just started getting more interested into permaculture and would like to feed my plants as organically as possible.
I also look forward to learning on the various cultivars of tropical fruits which I can plant in my garden and suitable growing and maintenance methods which i can do during the weekends so that my family (and sometimes neighbours) can enjoy the resulting harvest.

Among the tropical trees previously grown or growing in the garden
- Guava (psidium guajava crema)
- Jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus)
- Mango (thong dam? cultivar)
- Dragonfruit (Pitaya blanca)
- Jambu (Syzygium samarangense)
- Soursop (Annona muricata)
- Sugar apple (A. squamosa)
- Cooking plantains (Musa x paradisiaca)
- Tahitian lime (Citrus latifolia)
- Fijian longan (pometia pinata)
- Coconut
- Papaya

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 01:39:44 AM by ijichan »

KelzKhaos

• Central Florida. 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: November 12, 2016, 05:05:51 PM »
Hello all!
I'm Kelly & I'm very new to both the forum & the world of tropical fruit growing. I have a few basic tropical fruit plants bananas, guavas, pineapple & dragon fruit, but nothing extreme yet. Unless you count the sulcata tortoise who owns the yard. I'll probably be lurking & learning mostly but thought I should at least introduce myself.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: December 02, 2016, 11:01:33 AM »
... Unless you count the sulcata tortoise who owns the yard. I'll probably be lurking & learning mostly but thought I should at least introduce myself.

Hi Kelly!  I have been thinking about getting some sort of reptile, such as a tortoise, for my greenhouse, but I worry that it will eat everything in sight.  What does your tortoise eat, and do you have to fence off your plants?

Thanks!
Carolyn

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: December 04, 2016, 08:31:28 AM »
Hi everyone. Just joined recently and am happy to have found such a great meeting place for fellow plant enthusiasts. I'm growing a mix of fruit trees in-ground and containers, as well as vines, berries, veggies, herbs, and lots of flowers. Seems there is always room for another tree, despite what my wife says. Zone 10b, so lots of possibilities here.   

Of the fruits that I am growing, I have not ever tried many of them. That is changing, and haven't regretted growing anything yet. I just like finding something different.

My old landscaper told me I couldn't graft more than one variety of mango on rootstock, and dampened my dreams of a multi-mango dream tree. Thank you TFF members for paving the way on what was obviously not an original idea. Now I am planning on doing some top work on my Glenn and Nam Doc Mai #4.

Looking forward to learning lots here, sharing info, seeds, and cuttings.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 12:26:24 PM by roblack »

8ofGac

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: December 12, 2016, 10:44:08 PM »
Hey, Guys for two weeks i have been trying to register to the forum. Finally got in. couldn't get in because of the fatal error notice i was getting while trying to register. posted my introduction in the wrong place anyway i am 21 years old from Texas new to growing anything that is a plant. Already started 3 golden Thai papaya seeds for next year. looking forward to buying more fruit seeds and plants .

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: December 13, 2016, 09:33:46 AM »
Hello Everyone,
I have been lurking for a while and decided to sign up because there is so much good information and advice on this forum for growing tropical fruit. I live in San Diego, California about five miles from the Pacific Ocean, so winter nights can be cool/cold and summer days are much warmer than on the coast.  This provides me a nice microclimate to grow subtropical fruits as well as plums.  My latest obsessions are Annona and Jackfruit.

Bob
Bob

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: December 15, 2016, 02:43:45 AM »
Hi, All,

I have been visiting this forum last few months but it did not let me register till now.
I am based in San Diego, CA and have small yard.

I love fruits, especially Mangos and Sugar apples. Started to buy and taste chrimoya fruits from grocery/Atkins nursery recently.
Just started getting trees, I have Lemon Zest and Mallika Mango, African Pride Atemoya, Sirneyvi and Parfianka Pomegranate and Peter's honey fig, Kishu and Gold Nugget Mandarin, all in pots, most in 5 gl. Wishlist -- sweetheart lychee, 4 season longan, GA 866 Jujube, Big Red Sugar apple, El bumpo cherimoya. 

Hoping to learn from forum gurus and contribute.

Thank you,
FruitFool

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: December 16, 2016, 06:50:44 PM »
 Why do I feel like I'm standing up at an AA meeting for the first time? ( not that I've ever been to AA, I am of Irish decent so it would just be another awkward family reunion) All jokes aside I'm pretty sure I have a sickness and the only cure is more mango trees. It all started at my local tropical nursery, there I was with good intentions to pick out a mango tree for shade in my front yard like about half of south Merritt island, with there 50+ year old monster trees. At first it was the sweet taste of a Valencia pride and wow what a big mango. the next thing I knew I was back the next day with my wife, tasting and buying a Coconut cream, Carrie, Glenn, and a Kent.  From there it only got worse. looking for room in the yard and cutting down sterile non fruit trees to get my fix by planning out and researching the next tree. Alas, I am running out of yard space with my 15 trees, some not even in the ground yet and contemplating what I would give up if I found a new one I cant live without. I can only assume this echo's a similar scenario for most of us here. Thank you for your support.  "I AM JASON AND I HAVE MANGO FEVER"

All that being said, I am also a Firefighter for Orange county and If we can ever get a contract I will probably spend my raise on mango trees, fishing rods, boat parts, and Irish whiskey.  The other 10 percent I will probably waist.

justjoanalso

• BROOKLYN PARK MN 4A
    • View Profile
I am back
« Reply #1314 on: December 29, 2016, 04:09:54 PM »
Greetings of the season, joined here in 2014 after being a long time member of another forum, then life got crazy but kept on with my trees and I decided I needed more education and so I am back to learn.  Glad to see Millet is still here, a font of knowledge and looking to learn from the rest of you also.  This year has been the best for me so far, due to the fact that my trees were able to be outside from early April to the second week of November.  I won't go on and on, glad to have found this site again, Happy New Year 2017 to all.  Glad to see you here too Laaz!!!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 04:34:36 PM by justjoanalso »
A word to the wise is sufficent

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
  • The philosopher of fruit
    • Marin, California, zones 9b and 10a (though I keep most plants in a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: January 02, 2017, 05:26:07 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm Dylan. I'm obsessed with horticulture and have a large collection of tropical plants including orchids, Amorphophallus and other aroids, exotic fruit, tropical pitcher plants, cacti, succulents, hot peppers and beautiful/unusual plants in general. Other interests include philosophy, politics, writing, herpetology and entomology. Excited to get to know everyone on here and increase my tropical fruit collection.
The hardest plants to grow are often those most worth growing.

donner

• Canada,BC,Vancouver,3b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: January 04, 2017, 01:45:40 AM »
Hello I am new here and I am happy to be a part of this community. I hope that you all have a great year ahead.

Botanicus

• North Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: January 09, 2017, 09:49:42 AM »
Hi All,

Glad to be here, long time plant nerd and collector. I grew up in Pinellas county back when there were still orange groves everywhere (I still love Duncan grapefruit), and worked for awhile with Alan Smith at his old tropical fruit tree nursery. Now living on a small farm in North Central Florida and just starting to get planting out some fruit: Peaches-plums-citrus-berries-and cold hardy avocados. I hope to expand into some zone-pushing plantings and eventually a large greenhouse to grow a few must haves like Rollinia and Atemoya.

Cheers,
Botanicus

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: January 11, 2017, 11:13:48 AM »
Hi everybody. I'm Nathan, been lurking for a bit and figured I'd make an account. I'm from the SF Bay Area, so somewhat limited options for outdoor planting. I've been growing outdoor cacti for years, but have gotten interested in epiphytic cacti (which I move inside for the winter). The only dragonfruit I've tasted was a white one--which didn't do much for me--but I have some reds and purples that should fruit this year or next. I hope to eventually do some intergeneric hybridization in that area, with hylocereus, selenicereus, aporocactus (disocactus), and possibly acanthocereus, though I might have to learn how to do embryo rescue for that.

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
    • Marin, California, zones 9b and 10a (though I keep most plants in a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: January 11, 2017, 04:51:36 PM »
Hi everybody. I'm Nathan, been lurking for a bit and figured I'd make an account. I'm from the SF Bay Area, so somewhat limited options for outdoor planting. I've been growing outdoor cacti for years, but have gotten interested in epiphytic cacti (which I move inside for the winter). The only dragonfruit I've tasted was a white one--which didn't do much for me--but I have some reds and purples that should fruit this year or next. I hope to eventually do some intergeneric hybridization in that area, with hylocereus, selenicereus, aporocactus (disocactus), and possibly acanthocereus, though I might have to learn how to do embryo rescue for that.

Awesome to see someone who is in the same area as me and shares my love for epiphytic cacti. I'm thinking of buying Selenicereus megalanthus and purple/pink Hylocereus hybrids soon. I currently have an unknown Epiphyllum/Selenicereus, Selenicereus grandiflorus and Hylocereus undatus white.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: January 12, 2017, 09:00:20 AM »
Awesome to see someone who is in the same area as me and shares my love for epiphytic cacti. I'm thinking of buying Selenicereus megalanthus and purple/pink Hylocereus hybrids soon. I currently have an unknown Epiphyllum/Selenicereus, Selenicereus grandiflorus and Hylocereus undatus white.

Hi Dylan.

I have:
Selenicereus vagans
Selenicereus megalanthus
Selenicereus setaceus
Selenicereus grandiflorus
Selenicereus anthonyanus
Hylocereus undatus 'Purple Haze'
Hylocereus undatus 'Natural Mystic'
Hylocereus undatus NOID White
Hylocereus undatus 'Bruni"
Disocactus flagelliformis
Acanthocereus tetragonus
Epiphyllum oxypetalum
Aporophyllum 'Temple Fire'
Some assorted hoyas, sansevierias, epiphyllum hybrids, and outdoor plants

I can give you a rooted cutting of purple haze if you're ever in the east bay. I've had bad luck with megalanthus and can't take cuttings this year. The only things I can't do cuttings of now are megalanthus, setaceus, natural mystic, and acanthocereus.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:30:10 AM by NateTheGreat »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: January 12, 2017, 12:11:39 PM »
Welcome to the forum, cacti lovers! There's a number of us that have good collections of dragonfruits and other cacti, like RickShaw. I have some as well if you're interested in trading.

Hoyas have really neat flowers. My A. konjac only flowered once and then stayed keylime size after that. Not even making new corms this year at all. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: January 12, 2017, 05:05:57 PM »

Hi Dylan.

I have:
Selenicereus vagans
Selenicereus megalanthus
Selenicereus setaceus
Selenicereus grandiflorus
Selenicereus anthonyanus
Hylocereus undatus 'Purple Haze'
Hylocereus undatus 'Natural Mystic'
Hylocereus undatus NOID White
Hylocereus undatus 'Bruni"
Disocactus flagelliformis
Acanthocereus tetragonus
Epiphyllum oxypetalum
Aporophyllum 'Temple Fire'
Some assorted hoyas, sansevierias, epiphyllum hybrids, and outdoor plants

I can give you a rooted cutting of purple haze if you're ever in the east bay. I've had bad luck with megalanthus and can't take cuttings this year. The only things I can't do cuttings of now are megalanthus, setaceus, natural mystic, and acanthocereus.

Thanks! I go to the East Bay to visit cactus jungle, the vivarium, etc. so maybe our schedules will coincide one day.

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: January 12, 2017, 05:07:07 PM »
Welcome to the forum, cacti lovers! There's a number of us that have good collections of dragonfruits and other cacti, like RickShaw. I have some as well if you're interested in trading.

Hoyas have really neat flowers. My A. konjac only flowered once and then stayed keylime size after that. Not even making new corms this year at all. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I have some extra S. grandiflorus cuttings, can get extra white undatus and I have some extra NOID Selenicereus with beautiful white/yellow flowers that bloom very frequently during spring.

Fuller1981

• Australia, QLD, Cairns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: January 13, 2017, 06:31:52 AM »
Hello everyone,
                      I'm in Cairns Australia and recently purchased 1.5 acres with the intention of planting out some rarer tropical fruit trees. Since I'm new to all this I have no doubt this site will become my main go to for information, also hoping some other locals in the Cairns region may know where to obtain seeds/plants apart from Bunnings and Limberlost.

Regards,
Andrew

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk