Author Topic: What is going on with my Meyer lemon tree?!  (Read 792 times)

AlmostTropical

• US, Ohio, Delaware, 6a
    • View Profile
What is going on with my Meyer lemon tree?!
« on: November 27, 2020, 04:14:49 PM »
Hello,

My Meyer lemon tree is growing beautifully and has been for over a year now. I had to move it inside and once I did, it got a lot of new growth. I thought that was great...until I realized the new growth was NOT the same as the rest of the tree! Here you see the whole tree. Notice the new growth at the top with huge leaves. See my normal lemon leaves, the new mutant ones, and how they are both growing on same branches!!! The new leaves are waffely instead of flat, shiny instead of matte, thornless instead of thorned, and huge instead of small. Advice please! Opinions, general comments....all welcomed.   (I know Meyers are crosses but not sure if I should prune off weirdness or what!) Oh, and both sets of leaves smell like lemon.

Thank you very much!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 04:18:00 PM by AlmostTropical »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: What is going on with my Meyer lemon tree?!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 06:38:00 PM »
Being a Meyer lemon, your tree is probably not a grafted tree. Look at the tree's lower trunk and see it you can see a graft line.  Otherwise, looking at your see I don't see anything wrong.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 06:42:56 PM by Millet »

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 08:21:03 PM »
Low light levels especially after you bring it from outside. It has a new growth after a couple of weeks. New growth is weaker because of higher amount of gibberellins and lack of blue light. You don't need to do anything.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 02:17:56 AM »
I can confirm the statement of Lebmung, I also had sometimes these effects with my normal citrus lemon, when I overwintered it in my house entrance at about 15 to 19 Degree Celsius and rare light, the lemon got these shots with big leaves and long shots. In Spring outdoor I pruned the ones which didn ' t fit. And the new shots outdoor were O.K. again. Don' t worry.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk