Author Topic: seeds for mango rootstock  (Read 4915 times)

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
seeds for mango rootstock
« on: February 20, 2012, 10:48:25 PM »
Hello,

Anyone knows where I can by seeds of mango rootstock? I have read that Turpentine is common in Florida.

Tomas

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
Re: seeds for mango rootstock
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 01:15:01 PM »

I think your best bet is to just hit up a produce stand and buy a bunch of mangoes. Most mangoes work fine as rootstock as far as I know. I usually go buy a bag full of half rotten ataulfos at my local produce store. They sell me a bag full for $3.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 03:26:05 PM »
Turpentine does seem to work best as a rootstock in Florida.  You should be able to get some in a few months or so...
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 12:44:56 PM »
Turpentine does seem to work best as a rootstock in Florida.  You should be able to get some in a few months or so...

How so?  Growing single vertical stalks? Best grafting success rate?
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 08:16:52 PM »

Actually none of the above as far as I am concerned.  Turpentine is just a good and very available rootstock.  The "best" may actually be different for different culitvars.  There have been no conclusive studies or trials that I have seen which makes turpentine the "ultimate" rootstock.  I have used many other seedlings with good success. Certainly turpentine is not a dwarfing rootstock. Large scale grafting nurseries need to procure cheap seeds that are always available and that work well with most cultivar grafting.  Turpentine fits that bill.

Harry
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:01:04 AM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 01:53:50 AM »

Actually none of the above as far as I am concerned.  Turpentine is just a good and very available rootstock.  The "best" may actually be different for different culitvars.  There have been no conclusive studies or trials that I have seen which makes turpentine the "ulitmate" rootstock.  I have used many other seedlings with good success. Certainly turpentine is not a dwarfing rootstock. Large scale grafting nurseries need to procure cheap seeds that are always available and that work well with most cultivar grafting.  Turpentine fits that bill.

Harry

Harry
I not sure I would call it studies but I do believe Richard Campbell and some others believe turpentine (there are multiple types of turpentine) and No. 11 have proven the most consistent rootstocks for not only being adept to Florida soil conditions but for their vigorous growth habit and nematode resistance.  They are also readily available.
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 05:50:28 PM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:34:45 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 08:00:47 PM »
Just take them out of the outer case and stick them in some potting mix. You should get basically 100% to germinate.