Author Topic: Cherimoya Season 2019 (So Cal)  (Read 10452 times)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: Cherimoya Season 2019 (So Cal)
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2019, 05:32:37 PM »
Fank and behl you guys are welcome to join us on Saturday 11/30/2019 10:30am.  I will have a bunch of fruit and Simon and some other forum members are coming to try cherimoyas and other fruit.

thanks for the heads up Brad. I will see if I can tag along with Frank and join. and see what I can collect from my yard it be mango or cherimoya or guava.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2019, 07:30:42 PM »
Warren you too if you are out there. 
Brad Spaugh

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2019, 01:15:20 PM »
Fank and behl you guys are welcome to join us on Saturday 11/30/2019 10:30am.  I will have a bunch of fruit and Simon and some other forum members are coming to try cherimoyas and other fruit.

Thanks for the invite Brad. Behl and I have talked about making Saturday but up in the air with the holidays.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2019, 01:48:51 PM »
If you guys are going to make it try and pick some fruits today if you have some to bring.  Ive got cherimoyas falling off, just went to the orchard and they are everywhere so theres going to be a lot of fruit for saturday.
Brad Spaugh

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2019, 12:04:14 AM »
Finally sampled a real cherimoya.

Received a Honeyhart from an anonymous annonaholic in Cali.

So much better than I expected. Immediately walloped with a wave of intense flavor. Very sweet, complex, creamy, with just enough tang. Forgot about all the crazy stuff going on in the world for a few moments, then zipped off to work wishing I had brought the rest of it with me.

My wife, who usually only eats mangoes, polished it off when she found it in the fridge. She won't eat guanabana, sugar apple, rollinia; even a really good custard apple was just meh to her. But she loved the moya.

Gonna need more of these. Much more.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2019, 08:49:43 AM »
Finally sampled a real cherimoya.

Received a Honeyhart from an anonymous annonaholic in Cali.

So much better than I expected. Immediately walloped with a wave of intense flavor. Very sweet, complex, creamy, with just enough tang. Forgot about all the crazy stuff going on in the world for a few moments, then zipped off to work wishing I had brought the rest of it with me.

My wife, who usually only eats mangoes, polished it off when she found it in the fridge. She won't eat guanabana, sugar apple, rollinia; even a really good custard apple was just meh to her. But she loved the moya.

Gonna need more of these. Much more.
;) ;D
John

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2019, 03:27:47 PM »

Anonas are dropping and splitting like crazy w the rain and cold

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2019, 04:20:47 PM »
Guys if your able plz post some pics and reviews of the tasting, happy thanksgiving

-Joep450

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2019, 11:46:51 AM »
Joe sorry we didnt take many pics.  Priya has some pics of the cut up fruit.  If she is out there maybe she can add them.  Weather was perfect, we had breakfast then ate a bunch of fruit.  Everyone brought something to share.  Honeyhart was my favorite cherimoya.  A few people liked the fino de jete which was less sweet.  I havent had enough of them to pass judgement.  Ive got some more new types still hanging on the trees.  Ill post back when I try those. 

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 11:48:27 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2019, 02:14:08 PM »

Brad Spaugh

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2019, 05:53:40 PM »
Wow, that looks and sounds amazing!

Is there anywhere to mail-order locally grown 'moyas? I had ordered some in the past but that contact seems to have dried up.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2019, 06:01:29 PM »
Thanks for the invite Brad, my friend and I both had a blast. The Cherimoyas at your place are awesome! Something about your soil and your fertilizer routine is making them come out extra tasty.

Most the Cherimoyas I tested came out with a Brix around 25%. The Cherimoyas are so sweet, it’s difficult to eat more than a pound or two. It was nice that everyone brought some home grown fruit, Honey, wine and preserves. The Passionfruit curd spread was awesome on the Avocado toast.

Simon

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2019, 06:09:40 PM »
Although now I am questioning the knight variety.  It looks the same as honeyhart and is earlier than the other trees. 
...I had some other lavern trees mislabeled so Im thinking the knight is maybe actually a honeyhart.

[Begin rant]
La Verne is bad news.  I got my "El Bumpo" tree from Lowes 3 years ago.  A friend in the CRFG told me recently that La Verne is their supplier.  After 3 years in the ground I got the first fruit and it's definitely not El Bumpo.   >:(
Bad business.  Now I don't know what I have, so I also don't know what to graft onto it (except El Bumpo), because [again] I don't know what I have!

The least they could do is be honest and say "We put labels on our plants, but they don't really mean anything."  I shouldn't be paying $36 and investing 3 years on some mystery tree.
[End rant]

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2019, 07:02:32 PM »
Although now I am questioning the knight variety.  It looks the same as honeyhart and is earlier than the other trees. 
...I had some other lavern trees mislabeled so Im thinking the knight is maybe actually a honeyhart.

[Begin rant]
La Verne is bad news.  I got my "El Bumpo" tree from Lowes 3 years ago.  A friend in the CRFG told me recently that La Verne is their supplier.  After 3 years in the ground I got the first fruit and it's definitely not El Bumpo.   >:(
Bad business.  Now I don't know what I have, so I also don't know what to graft onto it (except El Bumpo), because [again] I don't know what I have!

The least they could do is be honest and say "We put labels on our plants, but they don't really mean anything."  I shouldn't be paying $36 and investing 3 years on some mystery tree.
[End rant]

I got 2 of the bunk bumpos.  They are dr whites.  I agree it sucks and bad biz.  Im going to top work one of mine to a real bumpo.  Bow you got a big tree, start grafting it up.
Brad Spaugh

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2019, 07:17:05 PM »
He brad looked like a great event, next time....I’ve been harvesting lot of anonas after the rain

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2019, 02:15:41 PM »

I got 2 of the bunk bumpos.  They are dr whites.  I agree it sucks and bad biz.  Im going to top work one of mine to a real bumpo.  Bow you got a big tree, start grafting it up.

Thanks for that info, spaugh.  Now I at least have a possible alias for the suspect in custody.  This will be my only cherimoya tree, and I plan to make it into a multi-graft tree anyway; but to do that I still need to identify each branch's variety.

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2019, 02:40:52 AM »
My El Bumpo.  I got my at Walter Anderson that was not from LAvern.  I try to avoid Lavern and try to support the local nursery.  Plus the local nursery have better cultivars and they don’t mass produce.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2019, 01:52:22 PM »
Nice fruit! and thanks again Brad.

I don't think its a local vs. whatever issue. I've got at least 3 trees from 2 different local nurseries that i'm pretty sure aren't as labelled. I don't think honesty or care track with size.
Shane

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2019, 02:27:28 PM »
La verne is aware of the bumpo issue and said they would stop selling bumpo because they got the complaints. 
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2019, 03:53:37 PM »

Thanks for that info, spaugh.  Now I at least have a possible alias for the suspect in custody.  This will be my only cherimoya tree, and I plan to make it into a multi-graft tree anyway; but to do that I still need to identify each branch's variety.

You should post a pic of your fruit so we can maybe ID it.
Brad Spaugh

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2019, 03:13:16 AM »
I just ate the best fruit I have ever tasted. It appeared to be a cherimoya, probably Pierce.

Conical, Laevis-type, with few seeds, and chewy, guanabana flavored flesh. No grit, even towards the skin.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2019, 08:47:03 AM »
Would still love to know if any independent growers out there sell mail order.....

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2019, 02:33:40 PM »
You should post a pic of your fruit so we can maybe ID it.
[/quote]

Could anyone help identify my laverne trees?

This is the alleged "Chaffey" cherimoya

This is the alleged "El Bumpo" Cherimoya. This one is clearly something else.

linsecte

• france asia spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2020, 10:17:30 AM »
Behigarden, Thank you for this topic. I noticed you enjoyed sabor ? Please look my topic (often on top of list because i now add photos every day). I put some photos of sabor but maybe thé graft here failed and it gives fruits from a very bad rootstock ? My fruit IS very little, hard and No taste....
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 03:42:39 PM by linsecte »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2020, 05:07:13 PM »
Hey Behl or Frank or anyone else with an atemoya when do you pick them in Southern CA?  I tried an african pride a month ago that wasn't ripe yet.  They are still hanging there.  Not sure when to pick. 
Brad Spaugh