Author Topic: Pineapple thread  (Read 25576 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Pineapple thread
« on: September 10, 2020, 02:05:05 PM »
    Im sharing this info for people who are interested in growing pineapples.  Ill include some info on how to plant and the different types Im growing. 

Pineapples are quite easy to propogate and grow.  They do well in containers and don't require much upkeep or care.  The only real issue is they are fairly tropical and do not like cold weather below 50F.  They will survive in the 30s but they stop growing and tend to go into decline, especially if they are wet and cold.  So pull your plants under a shade or inside the garage or greenhouse during those winter rain storms if its cold where you live.

To propogate them you can use fresh slips or offsets and plant into small pots.  If you have slips that have no roots, peel back some of the lower leaves to expose the root nodes and plant into 4 or 6 inch pots to get them started.  Using a small pot allows the dirt to dry out while the plant gets established vs always staying soggy in a larger pot or in ground.  If you are lucky enough to live somewhere like costa rica or hawaii where conditions are right, pups can be planted straight into the ground obviously.  Im assuming most people reading this are zone pushing a bit and growing in semi tropical climate or greenhouses.  Pineapple plants do amazingly well in a greenhouse environment.  If you live in zone 8-10 , a greenhouse will be best during winter. 

Peel back your leaves and expose the roots

Plant into 4 or 6 in pots to root them for 2-6 months

This MD2 plant has been in the 6in pot for several months and is ready to up pot to a 5gal pot to fruit in. 

Once you are seeing roots on the bottom of the pot, it can be up potted.  This one could have been done a month ago.

A 5gallon pot is sufficient for most varieties to produce a large fruit comparable or larger than comercial store bought pineapples. This is a 5gal MD2

The soil Im using is EB stone cactus mix.  You want well draining mix with pumice or perlite addative in it for breathability and drainability.  This mix has no fertilizer so I will add a slow release fertilizer or some organic slow going fertilizer to the mix when potting.  A little animal manure would work also.  Use a well balanced fertilizer to start with.  Organic 5-5-5 or similar is good.

Then you can water occasionally maybe once a month with fish emulsion or other water soluable fertilizer to feed them.  I use a jacks 15-5-15 with micro package on pineapple and banana.  Or sometimes a grow power 8 6 8. They also like high iron and mineral content so a micro nutruient with iron is good.   Pineapples are not salt sensitive and they will take all kinds of fertilizers no problem, just don't go too crazy, an occasional feeding between multiple waterings is all you need. Don't over water your plants, once they have some roots let them dry out a bit between watering, they dont like suoer wet feet.   And when fertilizing with dry fertilizer scratch in around the plant into the dirt.  Or if using water soluable, pour straight into the center of the plants and drench the plant and soil.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 03:49:04 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
Re: Pineapple thread
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 02:08:15 PM »
 This is a home grown DEL MONTE GOLD pineapple AKA MD2.  Grown in a 5gal pot.  It comes out very sweet and large.  Better than the store fruits.  This is a good cultivar that has few serrated leaves and stays compact and grows well in 5gal pots.  The fruit have brix of 16 to 17 in the bottom half.  It's quite sweet.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 03:40:43 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 02:15:16 PM »
This one is a KAUAI WHITE SUGARLOAF and WHITE JADE.  These are the same cultivar.  This plant gets quite large and will do well in a 7gal pot.  It has smooth leaves, and a white sweet subacid flesh and semi edible core.  The cores are edible but are harder than the surrounding flesh.  This plant is not as cold hardy as some other varieties.  Its a slow grower but does make a decent amount of offsets and slips.  The leaves turn red and purple in the sun.  It is normal and will turn this color even with the same feeding program as other types that stay green.  Some pineapple plants just turn colors and this one does a lot.  This fruit has a brix of 16-17 and low acid making it taste very sweet.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 09:08:42 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 02:59:30 PM »
Question- do they flower more then once or do you chop down after harvest like bananas?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 03:18:19 PM »
Question- do they flower more then once or do you chop down after harvest like bananas?

The plant produces pups along the main stem and out from the ground and along the stem below the fruit.  Those will fruit again if you leave them on but its better to seperate them and make new plants and focus the energy into a single plant/fruit. 

The way it grows, theres root nodes along the main stem below the leaves.  So once a plant fruits, it gets tall and will tend to fall over and throw out new roots.  But because Im doing container culture, I always remove the pups and repot.  Sometimes, Ill let the plant go a while after harvest just to grow more pups before tossing it or chopping it out and leaving a new pup in place.

You can cut them out while leaving a new pup in its place like a banana or just start new ones. 

Heres one I harvested and am leaving behind a pup that was already there and rooted.  It should grow faster since it already has a root system and large pot.

Heres how slips grow on a serrated hawaii gold plant.  Theres many similar types that produce excessive amounts of slips.

The white jade makes a more reasonable amount

« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 03:22:10 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 03:21:34 PM »
Thanx Brad for this great tutorial on producing pineapples in one's garden.  Very helpful.

When I was living n Costa Rica I was shown by a local how to start pineapple tops in a glass of water after peeling away the bottommost leaves/bracts from the base of the top to expose the root primordia.  They rooted very well in water which just touched the bottom 1/2 to an inch of the stem.

After producing roots for about a week or ten days they could be potted up and cared for the way you suggest here.

Frankly, down there in Alajuela where I lived, there was really no need to grow one because you could always find a pickup truck parked somewhere nearby on a side street and piled high with fresh pineapples.  There would usually be two or three varieties being offered for sale for about ₡600 (colones) for 3 pineapples, which was the equivalent of about US$2.00 at the time, or 60¢US a pineapple!  Yum!!

But back in Florida now, Brad, it it prolly better for me to grow my own pineapple if I want to have really tasty one, so again thanx for the tutorital!

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 06:31:19 PM by Epicatt2 »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 03:28:08 PM »
You're welcome.  Yes pineapples are cheap even imported in the US from costa rica they are inexpensive like bananas.  Its a commodity.  Its also a novalty to grow your own especially if you dont live in the tropics.  They are easy to grow and rewarding.

I have tried water method with mixed result.  In my experience, its not necessary.  You can put slips and crowns right into a well drained mix and keep wet and warm.  They already have small roots started.  They always will root, its pretty hard to screw up.  Plus if you are working with lots of plants you dont want 20 glasses of water out. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 09:10:27 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 03:36:16 PM »
This one is RED SPANISH.  It a big serrated plant that is really stout but with smaller size fruit.  Its very aromatic fruit, sweet, semi edible core.  Very good flavor. The leaves turn very red but the fruit never really did on mine.   Its quite sharp and gets large.  Does well in 7gal pot.  Needs thinning of pups to size up fruit.  Be care when removing slips from the bottom of the fruit on this one or it will open the fruit to ants.  Use pruners and leave a bit of the slips in the fruit bottom on this one to avoid ruining a 1.5 year old fruit. 

« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 03:41:50 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 03:36:33 PM »
So, after mine fruits, the main plant will not regrow another fruit in exact place?
Thank you for your great info!

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 03:39:19 PM »
No it wont regrow a fruit from the same place. The terminal growth ends where it fruits like a banana thats correct.  But new terminal offshoots from the same main plant will.  Its best to sepperate the offsets and make new plants. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 09:11:40 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 03:45:40 PM »
This one is HAWAII GOLD serrated.  I dont know much about it.  Its similar to a victoria but with larger fruit.  Has a strong fine smell and good flesh with sweet tart flavor.  Plant is compact and serrated with abundant slips.  This one seems quite tough and hardy.

Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 03:52:13 PM »
This is SMOOTH CAYANNE, a commercial type.  Its smooth leaved, semi compact plant, large fruit, juicy and tastey.  Makes lots of slips. 

Brad Spaugh

deac777

• USA, Northern, CA USDA Zone10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 04:54:32 PM »
Hey Brad, thanks for sharing your tutorial and the boat load of info on growing pineapples. I'm happy to report that all the slips and pups that I received from you back in May and July are thriving and doing great.  For me, the big advantage to growing your own, allows one to have pineapples that are not obtainable at your local stores, like the White Jades and Victoria that I received from you. Additionally, you can harvest your pineapples at the optimal time.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 05:13:59 PM »
https://www.bangkokpost.com/life/social-and-lifestyle/326398/scientists-step-away-from-the-pineapple
It seems new and fancy varieties get some publicity every so often but they rarely seem o make it o general circulation.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 07:34:31 PM »
Thanks for creating this thread Brad.  For the pineapple plant that has roots on the bottom in your pic, do you have to root prune or do you simply just replant as is into a larger pot?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 09:00:16 PM »
Thanks for creating this thread Brad.  For the pineapple plant that has roots on the bottom in your pic, do you have to root prune or do you simply just replant as is into a larger pot?

For any type of plant that has roots circling or starting to circle like that I just loosen them up and try and spread it out when replanting.  I don't ever root prune.  I also don't take any plant that's root bound and just replant it without loosening the roots a bit. 
Brad Spaugh

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2020, 12:16:19 AM »
Thank u for the info, u made my mind on trying to start some slips from store bought fruit. Its hard to start them here ,since the tops are generally damaged and the central leaves are rotten in the base and pull up easily .

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2020, 12:39:52 AM »
https://www.bangkokpost.com/life/social-and-lifestyle/326398/scientists-step-away-from-the-pineapple
It seems new and fancy varieties get some publicity every so often but they rarely seem o make it o general circulation.

Thanks for the link Mike! I would love to try that Coconut flavored Pineapple next to a Coconut Cream and Pineapple Pleasure Mango and probably throw in a Pina Colada, E4/M4 mango Just for kicks. Let’s wash this all down with a real Pina Colada drink. Perhaps too much sugar.

Brads got some of the best looking Pineapple plants I’ve seen in SoCal. Brad, you should post a pic of the monster pineapple you grew with all the weird tops coming out of it.

Simon

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2020, 05:37:58 AM »
Thanks for the great informative post!

I saw on one of your pictures where The pot is on a paver so it’s not directly on the soil. Is this better so the plants  don’t root into the soil?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2020, 07:03:36 AM »
Haha Simon as long as you're not wearing a lampshade and swinging from the chandelier at the party after 3 cocktails. If people can plant slips and suckers rather than tops you will enjoy the fruits of your labour faster.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2020, 07:12:40 AM »
Kind of you to write all of this up. Thank you!

What advice do you have to encourage flowering and fruiting?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2020, 08:07:19 AM »
Rich well drained healthy soil and an abundance of sunshine with a dash of patience might help.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2020, 10:36:35 AM »
I’ve heard of people using Calcium Carbide to stimulate flowering and fruiting. I’ve also read that you can use an apple core or something that releases ethylene gas in order to stimulate flowering and fruiting. Here in SoCal, the cold tends to be enough to stimulate flowering. Here’s a White Jade that fruited at a very young age.

On a side note, the variety of pineapple I want to grow/eat the most is the Meli Kalima. My friend visited Hawaii and said it was the most delicious pineapple he has ever eaten. I believe it is a patented variety so unfortunately no growing of this variety for us.

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2020, 01:58:50 PM »
Just wait and let them fruit when they are ready.  You can use calcium carbide but they will always fruit once they get large enough.
Brad Spaugh

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2020, 03:38:34 PM »
"On a side note, the variety of pineapple I want to grow/eat the most is the Meli Kalima. "

I have tasted it while on Maui, and I agree it's an awesome fruit. Like eating a pineapple candy.

FruitFool

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk