Author Topic: Best White Sapote Variety? (California)  (Read 10357 times)

Calreef18

• Escondido CA USA 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Best White Sapote Variety? (California)
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2021, 11:45:26 AM »
Any tips on how to pick at the proper ripeness? Can they hang for too long on the tree? I have one that was labeled as “Vernon white” but it had yellow flesh. Tasty but not what I was expecting, wondering if I waited too long.

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2021, 01:29:48 PM »
What were you expecting?

Calreef18

• Escondido CA USA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2021, 01:35:17 PM »
From the all the descriptions online I thought the Vernon whites were white inside vs yellow? Of the varieties I’ve had I seem to prefer the white ones overall compared to the yellows.

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2021, 04:34:41 PM »
My Vernon fruit has very white flesh.  It's very rich and delicious too.  I like it better than Suebelle, but I don't think I have a true Suebelle.

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2021, 05:00:32 PM »
I was at Exotica nursery on Friday and picked up a grafted Sunset in a 5 gallon container.  There were a bunch if anyone is looking for this variety.

And just as an update for the late arrivals (like me) - Steve says he's currently sold out of Sunset for the rest of the 2021, but that he'll make it available again come Spring '22.

californicus

• San Jose, CA, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2021, 03:46:35 AM »
Here's my Cuccio fruits on my grafted branch. The fruits on my small branch which is only 3 ft long are getting very large. There were 6 fruits on this cluster but it was just to crowded so I removed one so now it has 5 fruits. I'm not sure how much bigger these fruits will get but it is still growing. The largest fruit measured 12-3/4" in circumference. I will let you know how the taste is when I pick one when it gets a little soft/ripe.

Thanks to Bush2Beach who supplied this scion variety to my collection (28 varieties).

What varieties are best for rootstocks, aka base tree in your experience? I hear that it is difficult to multi-graft some varieties as they tend to stunt any grafted branches. Is that true? On a similar note, do you get way too much fruit (I know its subjective, but I mean it as too much for a family of 4 to consume) with just one tree?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2023, 01:58:02 PM »
sorry for seeing this question so late.
My reply is to grow out seedling white sapote trees, I did. I used the McDill fruit and the yellow sapote fruits from my local arboretum when they sold some fruits.

Once the tree is established, like 6-7 ft tall, they will be plenty of branches, then you can graft on most of the branches. My seedling McDill tree grew to 18 ft in 7 yrs, then I topped it and used all the branches for grafting and left a few big ones alone for seedling fruit. Today that tree is gone, but I still have the scionwood of the seedling McDill that fruited so it should fruit for me again soon. All of my seedling trees planted have flowers now so I should be able to taste the new yellow sapote fruit as well. I restarted my collection and now I back up to 27 varieties.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2023, 02:11:59 PM »
I would also like to add in that white sapote is SUPER easy to graft, either cleft or bark grafts. I was able to do tons of bark grafting on the trunk just peeling it down and inserting a scion at about 65˚ and then folding the bark back around the scion. This is nice because white sapote can be really leggy sometimes. I wouldn't hesitate to top them personally. They can grow out of control.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2023, 02:40:25 PM »
Yes, I agree. The bark graft and side graft works well for white sapote, after a few years the graft union blends in nice on the side graft.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2023, 06:47:54 PM »
Pike and McDill are both vigorous growers and make good rootstock.