Author Topic: MRFC Rare Fruit Tree Sale  (Read 9714 times)

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
Re: MRFC Rare Fruit Tree Sale
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 10:07:32 AM »
Was a very nice sale. I liked Adam's selection and setup. TopTropicals was right across from him and they had some good stuff as usual too. I bought 3 of Adam's plants and that was all for me. Would have probably bought more if I had brought a cart instead of the wife.  ;D

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2016, 11:35:31 AM »
I didn't notice anything crazy but I was on a mission to find the mango I was looking for before they sold out. You really have to have an idea of what you are looking for in advance because by the time you are just wandering around, a lot of the rare stuff is gone.

-I only found a single vendor with named jakfruit. Everyone else that I saw only had leggy seedlings from a tree in some park which I found kind of weird. By the time I found him he only had three left and one was grabbed right after I grabbed one.

The vendors seemed to be having a great day, many in the middle area were mostly sold out in the first hour. By hour 2 I went to one vendor and had a white sapote sample, all he had left were a couple little 1 gallon or less pots of seedlings he grew and only a half dozen of them.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2016, 02:57:19 PM »
thanks to everyone who showed up at the sale!

it was great to meet some forum members, and put faces to usernames.

to be honest, I was worn out!  I fell asleep at 3 am the night of the sale, and had to wake up at 4:30am...

I ate a small breakfast, and headed to the sale...I got in early, as planned, and was able to unload well before the doors opened to customers.  This was the first year I did it with no hired help (thanks to Vernmented, and other club members who helped load, and unload...it took a load off my shoulders)

I brought about 10lbs of red jaboticaba, some Grimal fruits, (about 5 white jabo fruits) and a pound of pitangatuba fruit...I wish I had brought even more...but I'm not that generous.

People went crazy for the red jabos...it helped me sell a bunch of larger size trees...all of my smaller trees sold out...I should have brought more smaller trees.

sold lots of small pitanagtubas, and even some flowering size ones.

sold quite a few rainforest plums, one gal about 1ft tall

brought 4, but only sold one big ass miracle fruit tree... (btw, I have a bunch more here i really need to get rid of....might be able to deliver to certain locations in South and Central FL....they are over 6ft tall, over 20 yr old...$100 ea...buy more than 2 and I reduce price to $90....gotta get rid of them...they are too big...and all need 25gal pots...)

sold grafted Myrciaria vexator, should fruit this year..sold some big yellow jabos...one was like 6ft almost...sold bunch of the small Plinia spiritosantensis seedlings,..about 8-12 inch tall.

sold a few Plinia sp. (Escarlate)  6 inch tall one gal.

sold grafted Plinia trunciflora, about 4 ft tall,...this tree was beautiful!

sold some seedling rollinias from my Monstrinho tree,

sold a seedling of Kimber Red, about 7ft tall with first flowers, in 7 gal,  (a man came and got it about 5 minutes after I reduced the price)

sold a seedling atemoya from australia (pinks mammoth), flowering in a 3 gal pot, about 4 x 4ft...
sold out of Garcinia intermedia seedlings, I think i had 3 of them about 3.5 ft tall, close to fruiting .

sold grafted illama "genova red", just healed about 10 inch tall, one gal pot,  (thanks to the kind man who got it)

also sold small grafted A. salzmannii just healed, about 10 inch tall, branched very well, one gal pot,..(I didn't see who got it...I wanted to talk to person who bought this plant, and tell them how special it is...)

sold a few myrciaria guaquiea seedlings...quite small...and also had a lone M. strigipes seedling that sold....

and then almost sold out of Grimals...I had one close to fruiting, seedling, and one grafted, close to fruiting...and then a few smaller ones

that's all I can remember for now..thanks again to all who attended, and supported me.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:59:37 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2016, 03:12:06 PM »
-I only found a single vendor with named jakfruit. Everyone else that I saw only had leggy seedlings from a tree in some park which I found kind of weird. By the time I found him he only had three left and one was grabbed right after I grabbed one

Did you buy our Bangkok Lemon? I wasn't able to put faces to screen names.

Next year, we plan to bring more grafted jackfruit trees. Those sold out quickly. Like Adam, we plan to bring fewer large trees next year. 

It was so much fun being able to talk with other people who love growing fruit!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 05:04:33 PM by geosulcata »

Leviathon51

• Central Florida, Daytona Beach, z9
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2016, 05:13:59 PM »
Adam, I should be getting a bonus check on the 31st.  I was hoping to spend most of it on stuff from you.  Can you post a pic of the miracle fruit?

chicomoralessxm

• Caribbean St. maarten zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2016, 08:09:52 PM »
wow adam I really have visit the sale next year if i can make a special trip but i'm really planning for 2yars from now.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2016, 08:23:59 PM »
Geo- no I bought an NS-2 from a stand near the front. They brought 10 and there was one left  when I passed the booth again in line.

My neighbor is really interested in your grafted jabo if you still have one. He will likely want a big red as well. He likes to buy bigger trees.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2016, 08:49:52 PM »
here is the booth before the sale.....

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2016, 09:08:33 PM »
-I only found a single vendor with named jakfruit. Everyone else that I saw only had leggy seedlings from a tree in some park which I found kind of weird. By the time I found him he only had three left and one was grabbed right after I grabbed one

Did you buy our Bangkok Lemon? I wasn't able to put faces to screen names.

Next year, we plan to bring more grafted jackfruit trees. Those sold out quickly. Like Adam, we plan to bring fewer large trees next year. 

It was so much fun being able to talk with other people who love growing fruit!

I see that you have several pom. trees, including a Gissarskii and a Sirenevyi. Have either of them fruited?
Michael

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2016, 10:53:27 PM »
We put the pomegranates in less than a year ago. I think it will be another year or two.

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2016, 11:06:09 PM »
Geo- no I bought an NS-2 from a stand near the front. They brought 10 and there was one left  when I passed the booth again in line.
There was a super nice guy who had his hand on our last Borneo Red. When someone else said they wanted it he took the last Bangkok Lemon instead. Lots of great people at the sale.

I brought some Pitogo bananas for people to sample...that lasted under 30 seconds I think.

We are Selling our 7 gallon mangos and avocados at a big discount -  email or message. We are in north Sarasota. Still looking for a few banana cultivars if anyone is interested in trading.

chicomoralessxm

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2016, 11:27:39 PM »

Nice picture I really missed out what are the large trees on the left adam?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2016, 11:38:47 PM »

Nice picture I really missed out what are the large trees on the left adam?

thanks!

those are the big ol' honkin miracle fruit trees!!!

Adam, I should be getting a bonus check on the 31st.  I was hoping to spend most of it on stuff from you.  Can you post a pic of the miracle fruit?

thanks brother!  can you see the miracle fruit trees in my pic?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2016, 12:32:02 AM »
Was there anything super rare, like longkong or kepel? I'm curious whether a few of those things pop up.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2016, 07:54:50 AM »
I didn't see anything super rare. There were some uncommon odds and ends at least by Orlando standards, like a good sized Lilly Pilly tree, and a bunch of super tropicals that Top Tropicals brought up. But nothing I would class as super rare. But then I am guessing most of the rare stuff got grabbed in the first 15 minutes before I got to see it. Wax jambus, some oddball guavas, a few hidden treasures here and there like the Zills suranam cherries, Adams super grafted Jabo was neat to see.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2016, 09:28:52 AM »
thanks to everyone who showed up at the sale!

it was great to meet some forum members, and put faces to usernames.

to be honest, I was worn out!  I fell asleep at 3 am the night of the sale, and had to wake up at 4:30am...

I ate a small breakfast, and headed to the sale...I got in early, as planned, and was able to unload well before the doors opened to customers.  This was the first year I did it with no hired help (thanks to Vernmented, and other club members who helped load, and unload...it took a load off my shoulders)

I brought about 10lbs of red jaboticaba, some Grimal fruits, (about 5 white jabo fruits) and a pound of pitangatuba fruit...I wish I had brought even more...but I'm not that generous.

People went crazy for the red jabos...it helped me sell a bunch of larger size trees...all of my smaller trees sold out...I should have brought more smaller trees.

sold lots of small pitanagtubas, and even some flowering size ones.

sold quite a few rainforest plums, one gal about 1ft tall

brought 4, but only sold one big ass miracle fruit tree... (btw, I have a bunch more here i really need to get rid of....might be able to deliver to certain locations in South and Central FL....they are over 6ft tall, over 20 yr old...$100 ea...buy more than 2 and I reduce price to $90....gotta get rid of them...they are too big...and all need 25gal pots...)

sold grafted Myrciaria vexator, should fruit this year..sold some big yellow jabos...one was like 6ft almost...sold bunch of the small Plinia spiritosantensis seedlings,..about 8-12 inch tall.

sold a few Plinia sp. (Escarlate)  6 inch tall one gal.

sold grafted Plinia trunciflora, about 4 ft tall,...this tree was beautiful!

sold some seedling rollinias from my Monstrinho tree,

sold a seedling of Kimber Red, about 7ft tall with first flowers, in 7 gal,  (a man came and got it about 5 minutes after I reduced the price)

sold a seedling atemoya from australia (pinks mammoth), flowering in a 3 gal pot, about 4 x 4ft...
sold out of Garcinia intermedia seedlings, I think i had 3 of them about 3.5 ft tall, close to fruiting .

sold grafted illama "genova red", just healed about 10 inch tall, one gal pot,  (thanks to the kind man who got it)

also sold small grafted A. salzmannii just healed, about 10 inch tall, branched very well, one gal pot,..(I didn't see who got it...I wanted to talk to person who bought this plant, and tell them how special it is...)

sold a few myrciaria guaquiea seedlings...quite small...and also had a lone M. strigipes seedling that sold....

and then almost sold out of Grimals...I had one close to fruiting, seedling, and one grafted, close to fruiting...and then a few smaller ones

that's all I can remember for now..thanks again to all who attended, and supported me.

Adam, your set up was great. I didn't see any other vendor with garcinia species. The jabo samples you had up front were drawing people in droves. Having samples out is a great idea. I bought two of your g. intermedia trees - how old are they? (one was 3.5 feet tall, the other about 2 1/2 feet tall. Did you have them in full sun or? I have them in partial sun underneath some wide spread Inga trees right now. Also bought a Rainforest Plum (eugenia candolleana).

Leviathon51

• Central Florida, Daytona Beach, z9
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2016, 04:52:28 PM »
I should be in contact with you this weekend Adam.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2016, 05:28:39 PM »
thanks dwfl,

the garcinias are about 3-4 yr old, they could fruit this year if you are lucky, but most likely, within 1-2yrs.

I have a 3.5yr old seedling, I'm keeping, in a 3 gal root pruner pot, and its about 4ft t all x 3ft wide, it just started flowering this year.

thanks for supporting my nursery! good luck with the garcinias, (they can handle full sun, but might show some leaf burn...if you wanna play it safe, keep them protected from mid day sun, but give them max sunlight, and water....they like lots of water, and can handle prolonged flooding like some of the common Plinia sp.)

Leviathon51,
please send an email, thanks!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2016, 11:14:36 PM »
What do you have left to sell, Adam? You know, I'm easily tempted.   :D

chicomoralessxm

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2016, 11:19:25 AM »
adams trees are more then a temptation,  in a year or so i might need rehab :)
do you have any grimal or grum. Adam