Author Topic: 2 lychee trees in Southern California  (Read 1845 times)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
2 lychee trees in Southern California
« on: May 19, 2017, 03:06:37 PM »

pictures of 2 lychee trees, south of LA, a Mauritius and the little one is a Sweetheart

They don't seem to mind full sun, and only took a lot of water the first year when their root systems were becoming established. I'd say they only require a medium level of water now, and can go for a week without being watered (maybe not in the summer though).

Little lychee seedlings have much more demanding needs though, soil needs to be kept constantly moist, and too much sun will dry them out, while they will not grow with too little sun, very hard to grow a lychee from seed into a tree in this climate (though the seeds do sprout easily).

The lychee trees appear to be very slow growing, so patience will be needed. There are already some tiny little bloom pannicles on the bigger tree.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: 2 lychee trees in Southern California
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 03:48:50 PM »
Do you have any pictures of your seedlings? Lychees grow fine here, especially Mauritius. Many other varieties get dried up and malformed new leaves when we get hot dry Santa Anna conditions that coincide with a new flush.

I've got several seedlings growing that have been completely neglected and are growing fine although very very slow. My biggest seedling is probably only about 8-10 inches tall. I've got many more seedlings growing in pots but they are overrun with weeds. I don't plan on fruiting my seedling trees. I'm only growing them up in order to innarched them with named varieties.

Simon

andrewq

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9A
    • View Profile
Re: 2 lychee trees in Southern California
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 05:56:34 PM »
Do you have any pictures of your seedlings? Lychees grow fine here, especially Mauritius. Many other varieties get dried up and malformed new leaves when we get hot dry Santa Anna conditions that coincide with a new flush.

I've got several seedlings growing that have been completely neglected and are growing fine although very very slow. My biggest seedling is probably only about 8-10 inches tall. I've got many more seedlings growing in pots but they are overrun with weeds. I don't plan on fruiting my seedling trees. I'm only growing them up in order to innarched them with named varieties.

Simon

can you explain more what you plan to do with the seedling?