Author Topic: Proper selection of material for tissue analysis  (Read 613 times)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Proper selection of material for tissue analysis
« on: September 06, 2020, 04:32:17 PM »
I have a thread going over on the Temperate forum but this is a general question that applies to anything:

If you have leaves showing discoloration/chlorosis/some other likely nutrient deficiency (as opposed to fungal/bacterial or other disease), would you not want to sample these leaves - as opposed to "healthy" leaves on the same tree(s) -  in order to diagnose the issue?

I had a lab tell me specifically NOT to include the symptomatic leaves. I'm not sure if they were either misunderstanding my question or are just misinformed. Or perhaps it is I who am misinformed!  ;)

So, include the deficient leaves (only) or exclude them?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Proper selection of material for tissue analysis
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 10:09:12 PM »
I haven't included symptomatic leaves.  If cost were not a concern, I would very much like to do separate batches of healthy looking and symptomatic leaves.
Har

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 10:11:19 PM »
For a true comparison, the leaves must be of approximately the same age and branch position, and same time of year.
Har

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 07:49:29 PM »
Thanks, Har!

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 08:33:14 PM »
I think they misunderstood the question. If you are getting a tissue test to see the levels of your nutrients you may want to send a sample from the deficient tree to see if it is a deficiency. If you suspect it is a decease, you then want to send the diseased tissue or root to a place like the UF Plant Clinic in Homestead or your state plant clinic.
Plants are very deceiving you have to test to check what is actually wrong. I remember a few years back, more than 8-10 years ago I had one tree out of 2500 in my grove showing signs of chlorosis. The tree looked like crap I sent it for analysis and It came back perfect. I could not believe it.   I struggled with the tree for years refusing to get rid of it.   Last year I was ready to give up and pull the tree out and, I was told the problem.    Soil contamination.  A friend made a soil cleaning cocktail with cleaning pseudomonas and bacillus  and in about a month the tree got better and today you can not even notice the difference today.
Sorry for the long reply
Carlos

Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County