Author Topic: Any avocados fruiting September-December?  (Read 1413 times)

fruitloopy

• USA,FL,Stuart, 10a
    • View Profile
Any avocados fruiting September-December?
« on: September 28, 2020, 02:24:24 PM »
My Day avocado just finished fruiting and my Choquette and Monroe don’t get ripe until December or so.  Can anyone experienced recommend a top notch cultivar that fruits now?  Oily, creamy preferred. Thanks.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Any avocados fruiting September-December?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 03:06:15 PM »
For Florida,  consider Catalina and Wurtz to cover September through November.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 05:19:23 PM »
Wurtz is confusing because there's the Florida Wurtzs and there's the California Wurtzs.  Most the information on the Internet is about the California variety.The Wurtz may be more difficult to Source then the Catalina but both would be excellent choices. The Wurtz may be more cold tolerant :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 05:26:59 PM »
Wurtz is confusing because there's the Florida Wurtzs and there's the California Wurtzs.  Most the information on the Internet is about the California variety.The Wurtz may be more difficult to Source then the Catalina but both would be excellent choices. The Wurtz may be more cold tolerant :)

The OP is in Florida and I said, "For Florida" sooooo....Fruitscapes is a great source for Wurtz or any nurseries that source from Fruitscapes.
- Rob

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 05:47:12 PM »
Leave it to the Aussie to chime in on the nuances between growing  CA & FL avocado varieties in FL.
Maybe Starling is back.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 05:52:26 PM »

The OP is in Florida and I said, "For Florida" sooooo....Fruitscapes is a great source for Wurtz or any nurseries that source from Fruitscapes.
That's good to know that fruitscapes has it. Thanks Rob. I think the California variety is late season
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 06:07:46 PM »
My Wurtz tree in Deefield Beach ripened fruit from mid-November through December.  No one mentioned Lula.  Pretty decent flavor, a little sweet.  (Who's the Aussie?)
How old is your Day tree, fruitloopy?  How is the shape?  I've read the description "slender."  Is that accurate?  Is it growing tall?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 06:18:40 PM by johnb51 »
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 06:28:01 PM »
My Wurtz tree in Deefield Beach ripened fruit from mid-November through December.  No one mentioned Lula.  Pretty decent flavor, a little sweet.  (Who's the Aussie?)
How old is your Day tree, fruitloopy?  How is the shape?  I've read the description "slender."  Is that accurate?  Is it growing tall?
I had a nice Wurtz about 7 ft tall 6 feet wide but I transplanted it in August quick fast in a hurry and didn't make it. I moved it to plant a mango tree. It flowered and set fruit during the dry season early spring but since I don't irrigate most of the fruit aborted. They seem to be sensitive to fertilizer . I believe they have the A type flower so I wouldn't mind getting some bud wood fromyou when you get your next tree at your new property. I'm going to graft that onto my Monroe
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 07:11:10 PM by bovine421 »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 06:40:29 PM »
Hall is a nice one maturity table this year is today. Great producer as well
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 06:20:37 AM »
I'm personally going to graft Super Hass as my early as soon as I get down to West Palm Beach to get some bud wood. I have zero experience with Super Hass but I will say that I have a Utuado that I've had in the ground for 5 years. It seems to be more of a runt than a dwarf. Last year I did get one avocado off of it in early October but none this year or any of the previous years. I know of someone else who has that variety and says it's growing very slowly and he has not harvested any fruit from that tree yet. I have not asked him how long it's been in the ground. From my limited experience I would not recommend that variety.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 06:29:45 AM by bovine421 »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 08:35:15 AM »
Leave it to the Aussie to chime in on the nuances between growing  CA & FL avocado varieties in FL.
Maybe Starling is back.

And leave it to this here Texan to "trump" you all.   ;D  Homey don't do Florida "Slimcados".  :P  Been eating creamy rich Reeds since June, CalTex style. 

Going on 19 months of hang time.  Have about 14 to go on the tree and the counter.

This seed is from yesterday's fruit and pushing 4 shoots!  Will get it in soil today.

Big suckas...

« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 08:39:50 AM by Mark in Texas »

fruitloopy

• USA,FL,Stuart, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 02:21:06 PM »

Day tree is about 28 years old.  Good, small thin skinned. July-Sept. Only gets 15’

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2020, 05:28:12 PM »
Ok, so Day is a small tree, compared to the Monster of Coconut Creek!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 09:10:14 AM by johnb51 »
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk