Author Topic: Help with avocado tree trunk turning black  (Read 1190 times)

bsalta

• USA, Charleston, SC, Zone 9
    • View Profile
Help with avocado tree trunk turning black
« on: October 16, 2020, 02:30:23 PM »
Hello, I am fairly new to the fruit world.  I bought a cold hardy avocado tree and planted it in the ground about 1 month ago.  It dropped a lot of leaves at first and some branches started to turn black and die off.  At that point, I tried to replant it in the ground slightly proud to give it better drainage.  It's been a little over 2 weeks since I did that and now the trunk is turning black and the top is dying.  I scratched a little bark off the trunk and it was still green underneath.  Here are pictures of the tree as it stands now.  Any help in keeping the tree alive would be greatly appreciated!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Help with avocado tree trunk turning black
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 02:54:59 PM »
The tree looks toast from the sun.  Were you watering it enough?   Whats the soil like, how hot was it?

You may need to use a shade next time.  If it went straight from a shipping box into the ground it likely shocked it.  Also maybe plant when its not so hot. 
Brad Spaugh

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 03:02:31 PM »
Looks like your tree is wilting. I would cut down 1 inch below the black wilted trunk and then:  1 Pray a lot.  2 Give the tree some shade. 3 do not over water 4 give the tree a drench of Agriphos or similar product.  5 Pray a bit more. 

Some times there is decease that comes from the nursery it manifest once the tree is put in the ground in full sun and there are not enough root mass  to keep the tree hydrated

If it eventually dies, I hope not, don't worry most of the so called cold hardy avocados are not really that good.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 02:23:41 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

bsalta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 03:45:07 PM »
The tree looks toast from the sun.  Were you watering it enough?   Whats the soil like, how hot was it?

You may need to use a shade next time.  If it went straight from a shipping box into the ground it likely shocked it.  Also maybe plant when its not so hot.
I would say early on it didn't have the best drainage and we were getting a ton of rain, it probably didn't dry out for a 2 week period.  Since then I have tried to monitor the dampness of the soil and only water when needed.

bsalta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 03:45:59 PM »
Looks like your tree is wilting. I would cut down 1 inch below the black wilted trunk and then:  1 Pay a lot.  2 Give the tree some shade. 3 do not over water 4 give the tree a drench of Agriphos or similar product.  5 Pray a bit more. 

Some times there is decease that comes from the nursery it manifest once the tree is put in the ground in full sun and there are not enough root mass  to keep the tree hydrated

If it eventually dies, I hope not, don't worry most of the so called cold hardy avocados are not really that good.

Should I transplant it to a pot, that way I can control how much sun it gets? Where it is now, I have no way to limit the sun exposure.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 05:14:05 PM »
If I were to guess from things that have happened to me. I would say that tree had root issues from the nursery when you transplanted it to the ground could not survive the shock. I had ordered years ago a Yamagata from a mail order nursery and that is exactly what happened.  I no longer put a tree in the field unless I see a clean root ball with nice healthy roots.
Avocados are full sun trees at this point I would just cut the wilted part and hope for the best. I put trees in the field all the time to full sun and there are no issues , By the way what cultivar is it?
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

bsalta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 08:03:48 AM »
From my research I believe it is a brogden avocado tree.  I bought it from here:

https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/products/cold-hardy-avocado-tree

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 11:32:31 AM »
  If you can find some garden- phos mix up 2 tablespoons to a gallon of water and use as a soil drench , you'll have to do this several times . I would do it now and in a couple months do another treatment , and continue this until you see new shoots emerging. Avocados are one of the most sensitive plants that need good air exchange around the roots to be healthy. Also mulch it heavily. The feeder roots like to grow up into the mulch and feed on it . Leaves , wood chips are really good to use for mulch. If the tree does not make it and you want to try again I suggest planting on a mound using lots of sand mixed in to create a good draining soil.

William

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 05:18:03 PM »
From my research I believe it is a brogden avocado tree.  I bought it from here:

https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/products/cold-hardy-avocado-tree

Sounds like a scam nursery.   No variety,  how do they/you know its cold hardy.

Specimen looks mighty poor, spindly with extremely thin trunk.  With this, and the looks of it, moving it around in that condition may add/have added to its doom.

Not sure what your winter weather is like to know what variety(ies) you could grow.  Do you see any avocados in your area,
- Rob