Author Topic: Help with avocado tree pest  (Read 1241 times)

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
Help with avocado tree pest
« on: May 17, 2019, 07:32:10 AM »
My teee has something eating the leaves. I first noticed it last year. Last year my tree didn’t give fruit don’t even think  it flowered almost felt like something ate the pinnacles. This year if flowered and set a ton of fruit a lot dropped which is normal . Seemed to be holding a good amount still even after a pretty bad storm.

I walked out today and it seems to be dropping more I’m concerned it has to do with whatever it is that’s eating leaves. Here are some pictures of the size fruit that are dropping as well as the tree and up close leaf damage .

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
Re: Help with avocado tree pest
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 06:46:29 PM »
Most likely Sri Lankan weevil. Its white and comes out at night. Check with flashlight after dark and see if you see any. If you move quickly you can squish them.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 06:16:02 AM »
Could also be leaf chafer beetle, same thing, come out at night and smash.

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 07:39:19 AM »
Sounds good I’ll try that tonight. Thank you for advice, do you guys think it’ cause fruit drop?

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 09:23:22 AM »
More likely from a nutrient deficiency. The leaves lower into the canopy look chlorotic.

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 04:00:59 PM »
Mine has been ravaged the last 2 years, before I figured out it was sri lanka beetles I was at a loss, until I checked at night. Now I check it frequently, but parts of the tree look like they were shot with bird shot. This season I have been very diligent compared to past years and tree looks the best it has but still plenty of eaten leaves. I check it when I get home from work and flick or shake off and smush as many of the little suckers that I can.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 09:01:05 PM »
The weevils seem to key in on stressed plants and will eat most anything, Lychee, mango, longan seem more vulnerable. If there is enough around they like to eat the damage is cosmetic and most trees recover or struggle on.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 08:59:04 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/Bifen-Control-Solutions-Insecticide-Concentrates/dp/B003W0OVBE/ref=sr_1_1?crid=XOSJW2X56XJH&keywords=bifen+i%2Ft+insecticide&qid=1558243171&s=gateway&sprefix=bifen%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-1

This is the only poison I have found that works for the Sri Lankan Weevil. When I spray the tree
they are gone the next day. I have sprayed malathion, pyrithione directly on the weevils and I think
they like it? After about 30 days you will have another flush of the weevils. I was trying to figure out
a schedule where I spray the trunks only after the initial dousing of the tree? The trees needs its leaves
to get energy for fruit production. This weevil was doing more then cosmetic damage to my production.
I still have some weevils in my yard but not as many. I don't spray a tree with flowers and I tried to knock
them way down this past Winter. I tried allot of different things including a nematode steinernema. This is
what I use and I also have used it on other minor infestations and it works

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk