Author Topic: Mangosteen problem  (Read 8419 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Mangosteen problem
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:43:18 PM »
One of my mangosteen trees is showing heavy chlorosis on new growth.

background on this plant,  I purchased this tree and a few others, it was being kept in full sunlight, I know they do not like full sunlight  so young.  I planted one in a large 10 gallon  fabric pot.  with around 60% sunlight ( direct for a few hours a day shade for the rest ).  it did very well, new growth,  and the leaves were big.  then it started to send out its first pair of branches, the first leaves were not big, but they were green,  not long after that it flushed out a couple more leaves, this is when the chlorosis started.  in the picture you can see the healthy "older leaves" the new ones are almost yellow.

by the way, that necrosis on one of the leaves was caused by a mango tree branch rubbing against it when it was pushing out, seemed to have scarred the leaf.

Closeup

A healthy one for comparison  ( same age as the others )
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Mangosteen problem
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 04:07:58 AM »
My guess is that it's too much sun, and perhaps compounded by nutritional deficiency? Mangosteens like filtered sunlight all day long, not sun part of the day, and then shade. So make sure to use shadecloth in future. Problem is once leaves are damaged they take a very long time to recoop, so damaging them when small is a very big problem. Also they are heavy feeders. It's best to give them a slow release diet: consistent food, but not a feast or famine type of regimen. I suggest also using a very high quality potting soil. I've found that earthworm castings work very well. Also they really love foliar feeding as they have poor root systems when small and have difficulty absorbing nutrients from the soil.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 04:23:01 AM »
I am with Oscar and it looks just like leaf burn I see on my ones.Very healthy, well watered and larger plants tolerate sun much better.That one is too small for direct sun,especially if the humidity is low.After the burn it takes a while for the leaf to go brown

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 11:27:49 AM »
I have moved it to indirect sunlight, looking around the net, I came across a few articles on magnesium being important, I have really not been fertilizing them much, and the sudden growth spurt in combo with less humidity must have caused this.

funny they did so well during the summer heat here, this one doubled in size.  like you guys said, too much sun, low humidity and not enough nutrients.  did not realize these buggers are such heavy feeders.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 02:42:32 PM »
they look quite dry...direct sun is bad for them especially if they are not in the ground yet.

i keep mine in the shadows, they are doing well and this also makes them grow less while they are not yet out of the bags.

btw i found a place that has 2 adult trees.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »
they look quite dry...direct sun is bad for them especially if they are not in the ground yet.

i keep mine in the shadows, they are doing well and this also makes them grow less while they are not yet out of the bags.

btw i found a place that has 2 adult trees.

Cool where are they located?  I know "El Botanico" has them, they also have G. xanthochymus  I even found a fruit on one. which was what motivated me to get a "Yellow mangosteen" actually that "burned" edge was because a branch from a nearby mango tree at the time, was pressing against the leaf when it was coming out, those leaves are so sensitive, same thing happened to another mangosteen in the shade. seems anything will distort them at that phase.   

In the picture, the very bottom leaves have brown edges, those were the original leaves when I bought them, they were already like that. the nice big green ones and everything above it, grew just this year ! that's explosive growth.

But I am going to keep it in the shade, and give it some fertilizer. that should do the trick.  a few articles I come across say that foliar sprays work great on mangosteen to get them going along, makes sense because of their week root system.
William

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 06:31:56 PM »

My young plant has new leaves that give the impression that there is a nutrient deficiency in spite of being well fertlized.If the ground is not wet the leaves burn badly in days above 35c and UV index 15 or higher especially when humidity is low.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 09:36:29 PM »
Nice tree Mike,  how old is that one?

I noticed toward the bottom that in a couple spots where one leaf rubbed against another, you get that same necrosis/burn look. I will make sure nothing is touching the leaves or rubbing them the wrong way.

I did a half dosage application using citrus fertilizer ( iron, mg, zinc mn etc )  with half dosage 20-20-20 foliar with minors.  I am always chicken using fertilizers. going to try and get some slow release for the soil.    What is your fertilizer routine on your mangosteen ?
William

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 09:55:08 PM »
It was planted out too young and got burnt a few times so has been slow.It is about 4 I think and my big one grew much faster and fruited in the 5th year.

I fertilize lightly and infrequently.I make a mix of superphosphate,potassium suplhate and N for the NPK.I also mix rock flour,dolomite and micronutrients.In addition I use dynamic lifter or blood and bone.These are used sparingly and well away from the trunk.

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 05:37:28 AM »
yes the 2 trees are in "el botanico"  ;D
i never found fruit on them though.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 01:16:41 PM »
I spoke to one of the park directors, a year or so ago, these mangosteen were donated a few years ago, and are probably around 5-7 year old trees. so it wont be long before they start fruiting.  maybe someday they will sell seeds from them at their nursery.   

Oldest tree I know of personally on the island is around 14 years old, and has not fruited yet, but it is grown "wild" no fertilizers, and is shaded by big jackfruit trees, I bet if they gave it light it would fruit right away.

I donated a couple Acai palms to the park two years ago , but not sure what they did with them, hopefully they are growing well somewhere in there.
William

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 05:55:51 PM »
I spoke to one of the park directors, a year or so ago, these mangosteen were donated a few years ago, and are probably around 5-7 year old trees. so it wont be long before they start fruiting.  maybe someday they will sell seeds from them at their nursery.   

Oldest tree I know of personally on the island is around 14 years old, and has not fruited yet, but it is grown "wild" no fertilizers, and is shaded by big jackfruit trees, I bet if they gave it light it would fruit right away.

I donated a couple Acai palms to the park two years ago , but not sure what they did with them, hopefully they are growing well somewhere in there.

well there is an old man in cotui who has been growing rare fruit for ages...he was the one that sold me two of these for cents. he is very old and when i was there last time he was sick, i hope he is still alive. i also got my pulasans,canistel,lucuma and a few others over there.

back then they were producing a lot of seedlings.

this one of my lil ones.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 06:05:15 PM »

well there is an old man in cotui who has been growing rare fruit for ages...he was the one that sold me two of these for cents. he is very old and when i was there last time he was sick, i hope he is still alive. i also got my pulasans,canistel,lucuma and a few others over there.

back then they were producing a lot of seedlings.

this one of my lil ones.

Yep, that is Alphonso,  he was doing much better on my last visit last summer.
That was an experimental farm, has around 100 exotics there, pretty much looks like a fruit forest , I got many of my trees from him. which reminds me I should call his daughter to see how he is doing.  I did a small video interview with him,  If I can find the original video, I will upload it to youtube.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 12:04:16 AM by Tropicdude »
William

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 12:13:06 AM »
Looked all over and found the original recording, this was filmed late 2009 or early 2010 before he had a stroke, I visit around twice a year.   anyway in this clip I took a friend up to visit Alfonso,  he was leaving the city to live off grid, and he was interested in getting many fruit trees to plant on his land.  he has his own video blog on youtube  http://www.youtube.com/user/tutigarcia

Anyway I did a quick edit and uploaded the clip, to youtube ( in spanish ) if you look quick you can see the "Yellow Mangosteen" ( G. xanthochymus ) on a tree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqa9vDvbx0Q#]Charla con Alfonso Brito
William

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 03:06:14 AM »
thanks for the video.

i was there around late 2010, had a few gamboges from which 2 of mine came,it was a polyembrionic seed. not much else was fruiting because it was winter...will try to go there again to get a few more plants once i get land.

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 08:01:28 AM »
Tropicdude, nice video thanks for sharing.  Seems like Alfonso is a very nice person.  What a great work he has done for the Dominican republic also.

Mike, is that a picture of the Borneo small leaf mangosteen?
Adiel

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 11:14:31 PM »
Update on my Mangosteen plant.

shortly after I took the above picture the tree went and pushed out more leaves !  they were also showing signs of nutrient deficiency.  a couple of leaves that were getting some sun, also got burnt a bit.

Last week I noticed a hole in the soil.  I thought maybe my daughter stuck a stick in there, but it looked pretty deep.  so suspecting maybe a tarantula or centipede, I decided to flood the critter out, I sprayed water in the hole, flooding it, after a couple of minutes, sure enough something was moving, and crawled out.  a big black beetle about the size of a ping pong ball.

I should have taken a picture, my wife tossed out to the street.  anyway, today I was at the Farmers Fair, and they had some bug experts there, sure enough on display was the very same critters, so I asked them what these guys like to eat.  ROOTS !!  so now I know.  freakin %^& was eating my poor mangosteen roots, no wonder my plant suddenly when from lush green to anemic yellow.

My other mangosteen are doing well. 

On a side note,  I finally got to taste a mangosteen for the first time.  someone had them on display at the fair, and I negotiated a trade, gave him a small Garcinia aristata plant for a couple of fruit.   I loved the fruit, sweet tart flavor.  my wife loved it also.  saved the bigger fruit for tomorrow, so far 1 seed.  I took some video of the fair, will get it up once I edit it.
William

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 01:32:29 AM »
Did you get the name of the large root eating beetle?
Oscar

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 01:37:18 AM »
Did you get the name of the large root eating beetle?

The guy gave me the scientific name but I do not remember now, I did take a video of the one he had on display, will have to look and see if the name is by that one.
William

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 06:41:27 PM »
good luck with your mangosteen.

they would not sell me any of the plants at the fair because they are "exhibition" only  :-\...but i did receive some brochures with the nursery info.

btw i have extra g.intermedia if you want to trade for aristata.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 09:51:04 PM »
I did not get any plants, just a couple of ripe fruit.   but made some contacts, looking to get Carla Avocado.   

As for the G. intermedia, sure I can get you an aristata.

visitors at that exibit were impressed with the miracle fruit, they were giving people some to try with sour fruits, like lemon.

My "big" mangosteen plant if it does not recuperate, I will be sad, as it was doing so well, it was finally growing at a steady pace. but I have 2 more that are catching up.  I may plant a couple of the seeds I got next to it, and see if I can do an approach graft, if it can survive that long.
William

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 10:06:28 PM »
cool i got 2 very large mamon, purple caimito and some local mangoes.

if the mangosteen dies i saw some more at superplants where i bought the avocado varieties beni(no idea), polo(pollock??) and another semil34(which is same as criollo). if you want a popenoe i have an extra one and also an extra kent and a banilejo mango from idiaf. i got several other but not the jujube, haden mango or other avocados i was looking for.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 01:29:53 PM »

if the mangosteen dies i saw some more at superplants where i bought the avocado varieties beni(no idea), polo(pollock??) and another semil34(which is same as criollo). if you want a popenoe i have an extra one and also an extra kent and a banilejo mango from idiaf. i got several other but not the jujube, haden mango or other avocados i was looking for.

The Taiwanese experimental station in Bani has good grafted Jujube, also pearl and crystal guava. they were the folks that introduced these varieties for commercial growing.   I would be interested in the Kent mango.  we gotta meet one of these weekends.  I'll bring you the G. aristata and I have an Acai palm,  I bet will do better with you,  a couple others I have donated or traded are doing a lot better than the ones I kept around.  have a ton of Moringa plants if you need one.
William

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 09:26:45 PM »

The Taiwanese experimental station in Bani has good grafted Jujube, also pearl and crystal guava. they were the folks that introduced these varieties for commercial growing.   I would be interested in the Kent mango.  we gotta meet one of these weekends.  I'll bring you the G. aristata and I have an Acai palm,  I bet will do better with you,  a couple others I have donated or traded are doing a lot better than the ones I kept around.  have a ton of Moringa plants if you need one.

yes i went to the taiwanese experimental station not too long ago with a friend...they sold me grafted guava,carambola,litchi,longan...but they could not tell me the varieties as it seems they selected these by breeding (from many seeds?) and the jujube was not "ready",neither was the haden mango at idiaf or the avocadoes...it seems everywhere i go in the country they are always eating and the workers seem so pissed that i was there during lunch break. i was lucky to find "roberto"  there who is the one that make things happen and pretty much forced them to sell me stuff.

cool, i have moringa already... just tell me when you can meet at supermercado nacional to trade the plants and checkout the collection.