Author Topic: My fall garden pics  (Read 10705 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: My fall garden pics
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2013, 11:33:56 PM »
This Red Malaysian guava really looks appetizing. I just grab one from my local HD with pink flowers all over the tree (5 gal pot). Thank you, CT.

Thera, you should have told me I would have gave you mine. I just donated my 10' RM guava because it did not make the final 4 cut. I personally think it's a mediocre guava with a flowery taste but a nice ornamental tree for those of you who have room, I would not grow it even if I had the space.

Californiatropicals

• Vallejo, Ca Zone 9B-10A (CA sunset zone 17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 11:46:57 PM »
This Red Malaysian guava really looks appetizing. I just grab one from my local HD with pink flowers all over the tree (5 gal pot). Thank you, CT.

Thera, you should have told me I would have gave you mine. I just donated my 10' RM guava because it did not make the final 4 cut. I personally think it's a mediocre guava with a flowery taste but a nice ornamental tree for those of you who have room, I would not grow it even if I had the space.

These guavas are seed grown so fruit quality can differ by each seed grown plant. The fruits I get are really good. The best guava I've had up here.  Though I haven't gotten to try ruby supreme, or some of the other varieties there are.   ;D I love the smell of them

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2013, 11:56:29 PM »

These guavas are seed grown so fruit quality can differ by each seed grown plant. The fruits I get are really good. The best guava I've had up here.  Though I haven't gotten to try ruby supreme, or some of the other varieties there are.   ;D I love the smell of them

CT, I understand I have very limited space and I had 9 guava trees. I'm give Thera my honest opinion after 3 years of evaluating this variety. Thera lives 5 miles away from me so he can grow any tropical guava imaginable...I want to spare him the pain. BTW, Ruby supreme did not make the cut neither did Indian red or tropical Pink.

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2013, 12:07:01 AM »

CT, I understand I have very limited space and I had 9 guava trees. I'm give Thera my honest opinion after 3 years of evaluating this variety. Thera lives 5 miles away from me so he can grow any tropical guava imaginable...I want to spare him the pain. BTW, Ruby supreme did not make the cut neither did Indian red or tropical Pink.

Boy, oh boy, do I understand evaluating plants. One of my favorite things about gardening, and one of the reason I like to try lots of varieties. Here Most guavas don't ripen until spring. I have tropical pink, not too impressed with it.  Giving it another year or two. I have mexican cream.. its good in the spring for fruit that doesn't fall prematurely. I have a large asian type, I had one guava this spring form it that was good, the others were pulpy odd textured.  Compared to all of these, the RM is a real winner, lol. At least in my book/climate  -- what guava varieties do you recommend?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2013, 12:25:32 AM »

Boy, oh boy, do I understand evaluating plants. One of my favorite things about gardening, and one of the reason I like to try lots of varieties. Here Most guavas don't ripen until spring. I have tropical pink, not too impressed with it.  Giving it another year or two. I have mexican cream.. its good in the spring for fruit that doesn't fall prematurely. I have a large asian type, I had one guava this spring form it that was good, the others were pulpy odd textured.  Compared to all of these, the RM is a real winner, lol. At least in my book/climate  -- what guava varieties do you recommend?

I really like Allahabad Safeda, ultimate Mexican cream, Jalisco red and Hong Kong pink. I also like this mislabeled Thai maroon from Exotica which turn out to be an excellent white flesh guava. My late guavas usually ripen by February most of them ripen in two months, September to November. It sounds like RM is a winner in your area but the consensus around here , Behl, cuban007, Ashok and many others, is that RM is not worth growing.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2013, 01:39:09 AM »
JF, Californiatropicals, thank you both for your input. I have always been a BIG fan of super big crunchy white guava like the ones easily found in Bangkok and even in its international airport. But this will be my first Red SOFT flesh guava. My next experiment will be with the varieties that JF has, Hong Kong Pink and Thai Maroon. I'm always a sucker for the color red in fruits. But one thing with this Red Malaysian, if I don't like the fruit, my wife could always use it as ornamental for her ... landscaping whatever. :)
Thera

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2013, 10:05:21 AM »
Nice job, beautiful stock!  Variety is the spice of life but this here cowboy is not bashful when it comes to pulling the duds and trying something else.

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2013, 03:36:56 PM »

I really like Allahabad Safeda, ultimate Mexican cream, Jalisco red and Hong Kong pink. I also like this mislabeled Thai maroon from Exotica which turn out to be an excellent white flesh guava. My late guavas usually ripen by February most of them ripen in two months, September to November. It sounds like RM is a winner in your area but the consensus around here , Behl, cuban007, Ashok and many others, is that RM is not worth growing.

That's a good list of guavas. I'll have to keep those in mind for the future.   :D

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2013, 03:39:41 PM »
JF, Californiatropicals, thank you both for your input. I have always been a BIG fan of super big crunchy white guava like the ones easily found in Bangkok and even in its international airport. But this will be my first Red SOFT flesh guava. My next experiment will be with the varieties that JF has, Hong Kong Pink and Thai Maroon. I'm always a sucker for the color red in fruits. But one thing with this Red Malaysian, if I don't like the fruit, my wife could always use it as ornamental for her ... landscaping whatever. :)

I enjoy crunchy guavas as well! I am evaluating a  mislabled guava that is one of the large, crunchy Asian types.  As for the red malaysian. I really do like it. Perhaps in southern california there are a lot of good guavas available, here in northern california we only get mexican cream at the local supermarkets, and sometimes crunchy asian types.

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2013, 03:40:44 PM »
Nice job, beautiful stock!  Variety is the spice of life but this here cowboy is not bashful when it comes to pulling the duds and trying something else.

Thank you. I'm not afraid to cull plants that don't produce well either. Just pulled a large feijoa that wasn't producing good fruit. The space in my yard could be put to better use!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2013, 08:36:57 PM »

That's a good list of guavas. I'll have to keep those in mind for the future.   :D

I still have some HKP and Jalisco reds maybe in a few weeks when we meet up there will be some fruits left.

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2013, 11:01:08 PM »
Meet up where? There's going to be a meeting in norcal?

Mangosurf

• San Diego Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2014, 05:19:49 AM »
For someone new to guava growing would Hong Kong Pink be a good one to start with?     It seems like a good variety with not too many seeds and a nice flavor. I would plan to graft other varieties onto it making a cocktal tree. Any advice on good red varieties to add to HKP?  Thanks!

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2014, 11:32:28 AM »
It's fantastic to see all your plants together in one garden tour thread . All of your tropicals are sizing up nicely and all the more impressive for one of the northern most tropical fruit growers. I really like hearing about others success in our marginal zone of many microclimates. Your place in Vallejo seems to get the best of both worlds with inland type heat and enough marine influence with the bay to not freeze! Great job with all the plants. My cherimoya seedlings leaves get really big and wavy like that when they are in deeper shade than the rest.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk