Author Topic: My 11 Mango Tree Collection from Top Tropicals tree update  (Read 72110 times)

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel

Fedex has an estimated time of arrival set for Thurday according to the tracker...was expecting a much better time frame for air express shipping....

Must because of "ground shipping".

Several years ago I ordered potted plants from Florida. They were sent USPS and arrived in a couple of days.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
MSurf - Kind of agree with Ric - it doesn't look that bad - a VERY impressive
looking trunk to boot!  Means it's got a few years on it.  Spindly...not quite
the word I would use....but yes, would have been nice to see more leaves.
Perhaps (or maybe apparently) it's root bound and needs to get in the ground
ASAP, and I bet it takes off......

Gary

Mangosurf

• San Diego Zone 10a
    • View Profile
MangoFang and ricshaw I agree the tree is in OK shape. I just hope the trees Clay gets are healthier.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 06:54:48 PM by Mangosurf »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
For my sake, All I want is for my Babies to have a fair shot at life... as long as they are healthy enough to become Monsters one day without dying upon reciept, then I will be a Happy man...if they look ugly a scraggly...so be it...But i have almost a grand invested in these trees if you count the Backordered 7g Sweet Tart, pots, and soil...

This is not just my collection, but Fruit for me, friends and my family, and hopefully generations to come that can enjoy the finer fruit in life that probably 98 percent of the world is oblivious to other than the typical supermarket produce....A big investment that I hope to collect on
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
ouch........

The thread hijacker is back!!!
Thera

kh0110

• View Profile
Clay, for comparison when you get your trees, here is my 7g Pickering from TT after repotting into a 5g Superoot air-pot (12/14/2013). It fitted snuggly in. It is about the same size now but has started to bloom already probably due to our weird weather lately.

Thera

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile

I would let TT have it, if I were you.

Really?   You can't have it both ways - attacking TT and then turn around and call me a thread hijacker for trying to be the good guy here (not an enabler).  Being a little two faced are we?   :o

Clay, I know what it's like to have your dreams shattered, I hope things work out in your favor and you get some nice fruiting trees going, one way or the other! 

Having said that......if TT did to that mango what they did to my cado "for the sake of saving on shipping expense", then it's toast.   The yellow diseased leaves and poor trunk girth  tell the story about the condition of that plant.

If it was shipped in a pot such that the root system wasn't disturbed, it might be OK.  I'd take a photo of ALL plant material and if all else fails regarding being totally satisfied, file a dispute with my credit card company.

There's ways to push back and this site is one of the best. http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/2785/  I learned the hard way to seek and read reviews on internet companies.  In the last 12 mos. Top has received only 5 positive reports out of 9.    I had a problem with a seed company, took them to task and reported them on Dave's Garden as being shady.  Within a week I had my money back.  ;)  http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/1681/  Apparently nothing has changed with Top.  Be sure to read the recent "neutral" entry by a man who paid them a personal visit, bought some stock only to find out it was not only sick but not as represented.

TrumpetFlowerz
Ft Myers, FL (Zone 10a)
(1 review)
March 6, 2014

Regarding the anthracnose, I luv the curative and systemic properties of T-methyl which is labeled for edibles.  One such product is 3336-WP although I buy a cheaper generic brand.   It relies on the same chemistry as the old (and wonderful) Benlate aka benomyl fungicide of the 70's.   Be sure and use a surfactant in your spray or there will be no benefit.  Also your water should have a pH at 7.0 or slightly below.  A little ammonium sulfate (1 tsp./gal.) will take care of it if it's alkaline with a side benefit of inducing uptake of the product.   Here's the label reflecting its effectiveness on about every kind of fruit tree leaf and fruit spots/rot/disease.
http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld9KL005.pdf

Good luck.......
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 09:27:01 AM by Mark in Texas »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
today should be it boys for my 3g trees!!!!!!! package arrived at the Fedex Temecula packing facility at 0745 today....Those trees better make it on that outgoing truck today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now the agony of waiting to get off work at 1500....then my 1 hour commute home!!!!! standby for all those waiting to see Pics.....will have them posted later this evening once potted.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Good luck man! Mango trees are pretty hardy, you should be fine.  Be careful how rich your soil mix is, a healthy mango tree will die in a soggy or overly enriched soil.. The trees that grow and produce well here grow in white quartz sugar sand that looks like refined sugar.  The trees you are buying will probably be in a mix of wood mulch, sand, and some light soil, which is standard no worries.  Even if the tree has gone into major shock and the root system has been majorly "trimmed" you should still get 100% recovery if you handle them properly.  Search the forum for "bare root recovery procedures" they will assure you 100%! And heed my warning on the soil mixture, to rich is bad not good!!

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
tropicalfruithunters has a post regarding bare root trees on his website under education tab.  FYI 

What an exciting day for you! 

Love your plans to use the fruit as food, too.  Very noble endeavor to feed one's family tasty, healthy, local fruits and veggies!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
today should be it boys for my 3g trees!!!!!!! package arrived at the Fedex Temecula packing facility at 0745 today....Those trees better make it on that outgoing truck today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now the agony of waiting to get off work at 1500....then my 1 hour commute home!!!!! standby for all those waiting to see Pics.....will have them posted later this evening once potted.

How many times today have you checked the tracking status? ;D

DM

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
I think the fedex website has become my homepage if that gives you an idea lol

Hey Patrick...I purchased some extremely high tier potting soil called Happy Frog from Fox Farms.
..are you saying this stuff will kill my trees?

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
 ;D

you're funny Clay.....(as he reminisce's on his own experience in
the "early" days of mango molestation....)

The soil MUST drain very well if the mangoes stay in pots - much better than
if they go in the ground - I think that is what PJ is saying.  When you
pour water onto your potted mangoes, that water better frickin' shoot
STRAIGHT THROUGH that soil mix.....

Gary

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I think the fedex website has become my homepage if that gives you an idea lol

Hey Patrick...I purchased some extremely high tier potting soil called Happy Frog from Fox Farms.
..are you saying this stuff will kill my trees?

That looks like weed (reefer) soil.  I don't know how it feels or looks but it sounds pretty rich.  I would probably amend it at the least if it looks like it would stay too damp.  Maybe mix in some quartz sand and pearlite? The mango will thrive in its natural habitat (like India hot, dry, sandy).  I hope some other people will chime in with personal experience from your area. 

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Patrick I have a 30 pound bag of spagnum Peat, a bag of Mix and Mulch, and another 2 different bags of Kellogs Mulch including N-Rich and Growmulch....I think I wll make a house blend of all of this since I apparently Purchased some Hydroponic Medical Bob Marley Soil that will kill my trees. http://foxfarmfertilizer.com/index.php/item/happy-frog-174-potting-soil.html

By the Way. Checked the status on Delivery...Litterally says "not due for Delivery"! Called them right away to see whats the issue...The lady tells me that the Delivery is for 3 day express and if it comes early and there is not enough room on the Truck (BS) they will hold it for the next day....Luckily they will allow me to come by their central shipping station and get my babies so they wont suffer another day stuffed in that box...Hold on Babies...Daddies coming!!!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
Perlite - Patrick mentioned it - it's light and creates very porous drainage...
use a lot of it!  That mix sounds rich to me too, amigo....sorry....would work
great on tomatoes I bet!

:-\

Gary

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Hold on Babies...Daddies coming!!!

Wait a minute.  How many daddies do these trees have?  Just kidding, best of luck with pick up and planting. Of course, keep us posted.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
Clay, you need fast draining soil. The soils you have will hold too much moisture. Mix them with perlite or sand at a 50/50 ratio.  Pot your trees in 3G and 7g pots. Don't put them in larger pots now. Wait a month or so to do that.  Put them in full shade for a week or two so they can recover from shipping. Then move them into partial shade for a week. Then move them into full sun. Remember you want sandy fast draining soil not the soils you bought.

Good luck

Bill

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Clay

You will be fine. Just do the mix we discuss and you'll have mangos like this one one year......actually, this was grafted from May to September of 2013

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
This is a gripping drama. TT will get the scorching of their life if they mess up this order. The US Navy might have to be sent in! Good luck to the mango baby daddy and hope it all turns out well.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
This is a gripping drama. TT will get the scorching of their life if they mess up this order. The US Navy might have to be sent in! Good luck to the mango baby daddy and hope it all turns out well.

We'll have the Navy seals and Marine recon pay TT a visit if they screw up :)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile

We'll have the Navy seals and Marine recon pay TT a visit if they screw up :)

Is he a mango baby daddy or a baby mango daddy?  Either way, if there's a TT mess the Seals will coming in

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
THEY ARE HERE AND POTTED GENTS!!!!!!!! LET ME TELL YOU....TOP TROPICALS DID NOT DISSAPOINT!!!!

quick breakdown because lighting was an issue after I finished potting them late. all trees came  extremely well packaged and almost in Mint Condition without any signs of stress what so ever....These 3g trees are Gigantic 3 gallon trees....Seriously I am afraid the 7gallons coming Friday are going to be colossal!! Most of trees has a very nice size girth on their trunks minus the Pina Colada but made up for it with its branching and height...Pickering of all the Trees is a Monster!!!!! I decided to break the rules and give it a huge size pot where it will live for next few years until I put it in a permanent Pot.  Oddly I received 5 trees instead of 4? I got a 3 gallon Lemon zest which is very happy with a nice size....However I ordered a 7g LZ which better be in coming Friday since I have 4 packages still in route which the LZ should be 1 of those 4 trees....So I'm not going to open my mouth until Friday....

Bottom Line!!!!! Top Tropicals just took a dump on Pine Island and Plant-O-Gram...Sorry folks if I hurt anyone's feelings....And I have the Agriculture certificate stamped on each box for CA approval....TOP TROPICALS is cheaper, and the product seems Superior....However the shipment I have coming Friday can completely change everything I said.....But if your ordering a 3 g tree...TT is above the rest imo

As soon as my wife gets off the phone I can upload the photos from her "phone". Guys I decided to stick with the Happy Frog Potting soil.....This stuff is "the soil of the Gods" Opened the bag to find extremely Rich soil with about  15-20 percent premix of Perlite(will be taking the bag I bought today back at lowes) has maybe 10-15 percent of some composted chips....very fine though and not dominating the rich soil....I added some Canadian Spagnum peat just encase for a fail safe on drainage....but like I said....about 15-20 percent Perlite premixed....*****FOX Farms seems stellar.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Wifes still on the Phone...could be a while...here is the pics from my  5 year old phone.....the Maha Chanok on the right is a bit skimpy on the leaves...not sure if it was trimmed for shipping, but it has really good branching and a decent size trunk.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:41:33 PM by ClayMango »

kh0110

• View Profile
...Pickering of all the Trees is a Monster!!!!! I decided to break the rules and give it a huge size pot where it will live for next few years until I put it in a permanent Pot. ..

Clay, I hope you reverse this repotting. I've done that, twice, and it didn't work!!! Rootballed trees MUST be repotted in pots of about the same size as the rootball. Or else you're gambling!!!
Thera

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk