Author Topic: My 11 Mango Tree Collection from Top Tropicals tree update  (Read 72111 times)

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
wow clay the 7gs are looking extremely healthy congrats. I wanna pull the trigger too hehe, will wait for them to restock pickering.

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
I really like your 7gal plant

TT really did a good job here

congratulations and enjoy your new collection

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Congrats Clay! All your trees look really good.  Glad to hear you had a great experience with TT.
Warren

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
The only thing I'm a little Butthurt about Warren is the fact my Sweet Tart is on Backorder when I reserved it almost 2 months ago, that and I asked to upgrade my 3g LZ to a 7g and take the 7g Edward off the order...well I got 2 LZ lol which honestly I'm actually kind of happy about that slip up....The more LZ mangos the better. will probably give it to the Mother in Law to save space...in which I still have access to he fruit.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Does anyone have any information on the 12g planters shown with my 7g Mango pics??? They all have a water reservoir at the bottom where I guess the bottom roots can absorb water when the soil gets dry? I'm afraid it might drown my babies and give them root Rot so I took out all the reserve lids that connect to the bottom.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 11:29:00 PM by ClayMango »
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Because 'Edward' is a low producer, a great way to get around that is to have about 4 'Edward' mango trees, like Harry has, that is, if space is not a problem. Because 'Edward' is the only low production mango tree that I have, but of the best quality fruit, once a year during its fruit maturity season I experience squirrel assassination thoughts.

Claymango, nice mango collection you've got there. 'Lemon Zest' ('LZ') and 'Carrie' attract my attention the most. I have 'Carrie' but not 'LZ,' not yet. It begs the question, which is the better fruit, 'LZ' or 'Carrie?'
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Clay - amazing!  Looks like TT has their act together again!  You've reestablished faith
in this one company with this one order!

I think taking the bottoms off those pots isn't a bad idea.
And what's with all those weeds in the lovely back yard?????

just kiddin' with ya....I'm sure you won't sleep tonight, Sargent!
Dream on brother and may they come true....

gary

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Gary if you only knew my daily battle with  these WEEDS (but that thick green stuff is actually un-mowed grass that I'm waiting cut until the seed fills in the patches that I have in the lawn) I try to avoid any chemical killer and hand pick everything....which is extremely hard to do with  a quarter acre....I can usually keep them at bay....with mild crabgrass popping up....But that last rainstorm we got while I was out to sae undid all my efforts....Honestly I'm getting ready to just Nuke and Preen everything!!!! except for the areas my babies are going lol
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 01:26:13 AM by ClayMango »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Because 'Edward' is a low producer, a great way to get around that is to have about 4 'Edward' mango trees, like Harry has, that is, if space is not a problem. Because 'Edward' is the only low production mango tree that I have, but of the best quality fruit, once a year during its fruit maturity season I experience squirrel assassination thoughts.

Claymango, nice mango collection you've got there. 'Lemon Zest' ('LZ') and 'Carrie' attract my attention the most. I have 'Carrie' but not 'LZ,' not yet. It begs the question, which is the better fruit, 'LZ' or 'Carrie?'

Thanks Leooel

I came to the forum a few months ago with the idea of finding the top rated Mangos so I can purchase the best 3....Look what Happened....I mingled with the wrong Mango Crowd....aka MangoFang and JF!!!! Now I freaking have Mango Fever went from buying just 5 top selection Mangos.....Then I see some other hot Designer Zill variety out there...Then I hear JF and Gary bring up another good Mango.....now I'm at 10 counting the Sweet Tart and the Fever is not going down...I have been waking up with Night Sweats dreaming about St. Maui, Edward, Pineapple Pleasure, and Spirit of 76...I think I'm too far gone!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
.I've got another 2 month RIMPAC this summer starting in June...

Clay,
Buy fruit trees in Hawaii when you fall-in in Pearl Harbor during RIMPAC. Talk to fruitlovers he might hook you up with good fruit trees from Hawaii.

Gene

My trees are not certified for export to California because they are in soil, not sterile medium as California requires. But you can get very nice selection of trees on Oahu, at Frankies Nursery. He is located in Waimanalo, rainy east side of the island, and his trees are certified for export.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
JF mentioned there was a good Hawaiian Mango out there...I wonder if they got it.

You're probably thinking of Rapoza? But there are quite a few good Hawaiian mangos, like Ah Ping, Gouveia, Harders, Mapulehu, Momi-K, and White Pirie. I don't know how any of these will do in California. You can also get mango cousins, which i think are more cold/disease resistant than regular mango, like Kuini, Kasturi, and Lalee Jewo. I think these 3 are really worthwhile trialing in California.
I'm sure your shipment will arrive in tip top shape. In another mango thread i compared mango plant shipments i got from both TT and PIN. I rated the PIN's packing as very good and TT as excellent. One package i couldn't get to from TT for 5 days (due to darned holiday) and when i opened it was like the plants didn't even notice they had been in a dark box for 5 whole days: perfect shape. They really now have their packing method down!
Oscar

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
congrats on your trees....and on admitting you have a problem--that's the first step. I, too, suffer from this affliction.  Enjoy!!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Mangosurf

• San Diego Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Clay,

Those 7 gallon trees are HUGE look like 15 gallon size  :D . You made a really good choice buying the 7 gallon size it will give you a massive head start to enjoying those delicious mangoes. Based on the size of the trees you got you should be able to get some fruit next summer. I am amazed at how much better shape your trees came in than my Spirit of 76 that is great! What are your plans for protecting them in the winter since I know out in your area Temecula/murrieta can get some freezes. Will you use some frost cloth or old Christmas tree lights?  I wouldn't worry about not having every single top tier mango tree you can turn a couple of your trees into cocktail trees. I have some budwood to share and I am sure other members would also be willing to share with you

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile

Thanks Leooel

I came to the forum a few months ago with the idea of finding the top rated Mangos so I can purchase the best 3....Look what Happened....I mingled with the wrong Mango Crowd....aka MangoFang and JF!!!! Now I freaking have Mango Fever went from buying just 5 top selection Mangos.....Then I see some other hot Designer Zill variety out there...Then I hear JF and Gary bring up another good Mango.....now I'm at 10 counting the Sweet Tart and the Fever is not going down...I have been waking up with Night Sweats dreaming about St. Maui, Edward, Pineapple Pleasure, and Spirit of 76...I think I'm too far gone!
Clay
Congrats on your latest shipment. I am not surprise by the size of the trees. TT has send these large mango trees to our friends in the forum for the past 2-3 years........they have the best value for us in mango starved SoCal.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Thanks MangoSurf,

I'll be joining the CRFG hopefully to get better connected with you guys and I'll definitely being sharing some of my ?scions/budwood? with you guys as well...

As for the Winters we have here....Driving down one of the open streets to get to my house....I noticed a Homeowner has about 15-20 ft Mango tree situated on the side of his house and his Neighbors...I want to get some advice from him on how he's weathered it....he Obviously survived the Winter storm we got back several years ago where Temecula seen temps down to 24 degrees... As For now...I will leave all my 3g trees in pots until next year...I think I will put my 7 gal in the Ground Next Spring so they can get better established before they get a taste of the Cold we have out here....Until then, the nights we drop to 35 degrees and below I will store them in the Garage.... Also I will be using a top rated supplement called Dynagro protekt.....which reinforces the cell walls of the plant with silicon increasing its heat/cold resistance, as well as protecting it better against insects.     http://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Gro-Pro-tekt-Tek-032-Silicon-Supplement/dp/B000E1VZHC
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 11:05:41 AM by ClayMango »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Thanks MangoSurf,

I'll be joining the CRFG hopefully to get better connected with you guys and I'll definitely being sharing some of my ?scions/budwood? with you guys as well...

As for the Winters we have here....Driving down one of the open streets to get to my house....I noticed a Homeowner has about 15-20 ft Mango tree situated on the side of his house and his Neighbors...I want to get some advice from him on how he's weathered it....You Obviously survived the Winter storm we got back several years ago where Temecula seen temps down to 24 degrees... As For now...I will leave all my 3g trees in pots until next year...I think I will put my 7 gal in the Ground Next Spring so they can get better established before they get a taste of the Cold we have out here....Until then, the nights we drop to 35 degrees and below I will store them in the Garage.... Also I will be using a top rated supplement called Dynagro protekt.....which reinforces the cell walls of the plant with silicon increasing its heat/cold resistance, as well as protecting it better against insects.     http://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Gro-Pro-tekt-Tek-032-Silicon-Supplement/dp/B000E1VZHC

Clay
I was in De Luz Road yesterday in Temacula. I have a friend who has 5 acres down there and I saw two very healthy 6 year old blooming Lancetilla and NDM in his property.  Your chances improve if you have a south facing property with some elevation.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
JF I think I'm in luck!!!! I have a south Facing Property which My entire back yard gets full sun and is also elevated, considering my side yard  is a  slope which is fenced from the back..... does about a 13ft gradual drop to the bottom of my lot....I'll also be placing 2 Mango trees on the same slope behind the red Barrons and Saturn peach tree...Also will be putting 1 or 2 trees in the front yard despite promising the Wife the front Landscape will be left alone lol...I haven't discussed this with her  yet.....But I have my fingers crossed

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 11:15:55 AM by ClayMango »

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
JF I think I'm in luck!!!! I have a south Facing Property which My entire back yard gets full sun and is also elevated, considering my side yard  is a  slope which is fenced from the back..... does about a 13ft gradual drop to the bottom of my lot....I'll also be placing 2 Mango trees on the same slope behind the red Barrons and Saturn peach tree...Also will be putting 1 or 2 trees in the front yard despite promising the Wife the front Landscape will be left alone lol...I haven't discussed this with her  yet.....But I have my fingers crossed

Ahhh fruit tree compromises with wifey, I know it well. Congrats on your new mango babies and thanks for detailing your experience in ordering them. Put those babies in the ground and your well on your way to a grove of mango paradise. And of course the front yard would Look way better with a flowering/ fruiting Mango or 2. :D

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Does anyone have any information on the 12g planters shown with my 7g Mango pics??? They all have a water reservoir at the bottom where I guess the bottom roots can absorb water when the soil gets dry? I'm afraid it might drown my babies and give them root Rot so I took out all the reserve lids that connect to the bottom.

The bigger the difference between to diameter of the top of the pot verses the diameter of the footprint usually means it will tip over easier (height of the pot has something to do with it also), throw a tall plant into it makes it worse. Take the water tray off and the foot print gets even smaller.
It doesn't look like it would take much wind to blow those over.

DM

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Hey Clay,

Ongs nursery has Sweet tart, ivory and several other top rated varieties but you will pay a premium for them. Please keep us updated on your trees. I'm very happy to see more and more members of this forum doing the research and planting the higher rated varieties instead of what's the easiest to find in the local nurseries. We should have a nice SoCal mango tasting in the near future.
Simon

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Well, looks like Tops Tropical deserves some kudos on plant size, condition and shipping.  I have never done business with them so I have no personal experience.  I know they have lots of bad press and that there seems to be a new trend toward better customer satisfaction. My only suggestion to them is that they update their mango photos to accurately show the cultivars that they are attempting to display.  Last time I checked, there were many incorrect photos for mangoes they were trying to sell.  In any case, best rof luck with your new mango trees.  May they bring you bounties of delicious fruit!
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Just going by your photos how are any of these root balled? They look like mango trees you buy here (Florida) with potting soil the nursery uses. Before planting be sure to unbind roots with a serrated knife.

While still in the pots--- Give them water and shade. Give the leaves a spray of water. (you know some or all of this)

Zand,

It completely slipped my mind about misting the leaves....Is safe to use a light dose of my foliar spray in the mist....I use a very nice light fert 7-9-5 solution from a Dynagro called liquid Pro that I originally started using specifically for my Japanese Maples considering their sensitive roots and Leaves....The only formula that contains all 16 micro nutrients that plants need. So far my Maples are happy.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
...and I'm perhaps, open to changing my mind about the "shy-bearing" Edward mango.
Transplanted to it's new cooler location almost one year ago - See pics......I also remember JF saying
that Eunice never labeled her Edward as that! Well...only time will tell what holds on - August to be specific....

Gary

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Well, looks like Tops Tropical deserves some kudos on plant size, condition and shipping.  I have never done business with them so I have no personal experience.  I know they have lots of bad press and that there seems to be a new trend toward better customer satisfaction. My only suggestion to them is that they update their mango photos to accurately show the cultivars that they are attempting to display.  Last time I checked, there were many incorrect photos for mangoes they were trying to sell.  In any case, best rof luck with your new mango trees.  May they bring you bounties of delicious fruit!

I've heard that TT has gone through some management changes. Nurseries are like plants. They don't stay the same all the time. What is great about TT is you can do your whole order online. They are well set up for internet orders. PIN on the other hand i had to go back and forth with them about 4-5 times about which of the plants i wanted they actually had, and then very long wait. A lot of what you see on their website they don't have on hand. TT on the other hand changes their website and says what is on stock and what isn't. Seems to me that PIN is more set up for doing business for people that go to pick up their plants in person.
Oscar

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I've heard that TT has gone through some management changes.
Something must have changed at TT. When I visited them in March a couple of years ago and purchased a 3 gallon Mallika there were hardly any mangos in stock that looked as nice as the trees in these pictures. Maybe they are giving them some shelter during the winter now.
Richard

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk