Author Topic: Newbie trying to grow dragon fruit  (Read 5913 times)

albundy

• Belmont California
    • View Profile
Newbie trying to grow dragon fruit
« on: February 23, 2014, 04:09:15 AM »
Hi I am new to gardening and I was doing some research on how to grow dragon fruit. I found out that my zone is 8b for Belmont CA and I guess that the fruit does not grow in this type of weather. I dont know why, it gets pretty hot up here. I was wondering if I buy a mature rooted plant would it survive the cold. The coldest it gets is 42 degrees. Basically I am trying to avoid growing them in pots and end up hauling in and out the house.Also once I mix the organic soil , peat moss, fertilizer sand etc. Do I have to repeat these steps every couple months. Are there any suggestions on as to which type of dragon fruit is the easiest, fastest and has the most fruit to grow?Any suggestions or step by step instructions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bundy

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie trying to grow dragon fruit
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 07:26:47 AM »
Hi I am new to gardening and I was doing some research on how to grow dragon fruit. I found out that my zone is 8b for Belmont CA and I guess that the fruit does not grow in this type of weather. I dont know why, it gets pretty hot up here. I was wondering if I buy a mature rooted plant would it survive the cold. The coldest it gets is 42 degrees. Basically I am trying to avoid growing them in pots and end up hauling in and out the house.Also once I mix the organic soil , peat moss, fertilizer sand etc. Do I have to repeat these steps every couple months. Are there any suggestions on as to which type of dragon fruit is the easiest, fastest and has the most fruit to grow?Any suggestions or step by step instructions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bundy
When I did a search of your area it came up with Zone 10a ( http://www.plantmaps.com/94002 ), which should be fine for growing dragon fruit.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 12:54:06 PM »
Thanks Bundy

Belmont, California is located in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Dragon Fruit is a tropical jungle cactus and different than your average desert cactus.
In California, Dragon Fruit grows well in areas where Avocado and Palm trees grow.
Can you grow Avocados and Palm trees where you live?
Dragon Fruit does well grown in pots.
According to the 2011 Pitahaya Festival Irvine field results:
http://www.edvaldivia.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=765
Halley's Comet and Physical Graffiti are better at cold hardiness.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 01:02:16 PM »
Your mind is in the right place, along with your plan of action.

1   Choose a 'sweet and productive' dragon fruit variety. From my experience sweetness and productivity, are more important than fruit size.

2   Choose a healthy looking dragon fruit variety to propagate.

3   Dig a generous size hole where the DF is to be planted. Fill the hole with the best DF soil you can get and plant the DF in it.

4   Make sure the DF is planted in a sunny spot and that the location is not susceptible to inundation.

5   Then, you'll be on your way to Dragon Fruit heaven.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 01:05:54 PM »

1   Choose a 'sweet and productive' dragon fruit variety. From my experience sweetness and productivity, are more important than fruit size.

3   Dig a generous size hole where the DF is to be planted. Fill the hole with the best DF soil you can get and plant the DF in it.

4   Make sure the DF is planted in a sunny spot and that the location is not susceptible to inundation.

Hi! What's the best sweet and productive varieties for you? Thank's! ;D

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 02:46:38 PM »
From my experience sweetness and productivity, are more important than fruit size.

I include in productivity "crop yield".  I also take into consideration hardiness and "thorns". Given a choice between two similar tasting Dragon Fruit varieties, I will look at hardiness, crop yield, and thorns.  The reason I am not a fan of the "Yellow" Dragon Fruit varieties.

You also need to consider what trellis plant support system you are going to need when planting Dragon Fruit.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 10:37:55 PM »

Hi! What's the best sweet and productive varieties for you? Thank's! ;D

'Pitaia do Cerrado' (Selenicereus setaceus species) is self fertile and productive, according to Luisport. If the description is correct, this may be the best tasting dragon fruit out there.

Pitaia do Cerrado

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?action=post;quote=110746;topic=228.375
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Californiatropicals

• Vallejo, Ca Zone 9B-10A (CA sunset zone 17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 01:16:55 PM »
My dragonfruit set fruit last summer and it was delicious! I live in a cooler (summer temps) SF bay area city. Seems to do fine here, but grows nowhere near as fast as I've seen  (in pictures) of DF growing in places like south florida! Good luck, just be patient!

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 01:39:21 PM »
You can grow Dragonfruit in Belmont. They grow very fast and will grow all winter with protection. You could buy a couple varieties for cross pollination, but DF is Always quite expensive for what it is here as it's slightly uncommon. I can send cuttings of Haley's comet , voodoo child & physical graffiti if you want to go that direction.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 01:49:06 PM »
I have heard good things about natural mystic and purple haze....haven't tasted them though.  PIN has a variety viewer for DF cultivars.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk