Author Topic: moving 15gallon avocado to different spot at ground tips needed  (Read 2390 times)

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I planted a 15gallon avocado a year ago, it grew quite bit probably like a 24box size reed now. My mom doesn't like the spot I planted my reed :( so it needs to move to another spot bummer. It carries 2 large reeds now, and its about to bloom. I'm waiting the bloom to end, then move to different spot at my backyard. Has anybody done it before moving an established avocado or can give me tips safely move my reed without destroying it. Thanks.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: moving 15gallon avocado to different spot at ground tips needed
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 10:03:59 AM »
Hey guys, I planted a 15gallon avocado a year ago, it grew quite bit probably like a 24box size reed now. My mom doesn't like the spot I planted my reed :( so it needs to move to another spot bummer. It carries 2 large reeds now, and its about to bloom. I'm waiting the bloom to end, then move to different spot at my backyard. Has anybody done it before moving an established avocado or can give me tips safely move my reed without destroying it. Thanks.

Dig deep and get as much of the rootball that you can. I dug my Hass and Reed last fall and gave them to a friend and they are barely hanging by a string.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 01:31:03 PM »
I recomend having your other hole dug and moving the dug up avo into it immediatly . Dig as wide as you can when moving the reed and transplant In early morning. Dig ASAP while soil is still hopefully saturated from recent rains. If you planted as a 15 gallon try and get a hand moving the rootball to keep as much intact from point a to point b. Good luck.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 06:31:06 PM »
Pre-digging helps.  You are pruning the roots. Dig the sides and down a bit as you see fit to establish a rootball. Keep the tree well watered to help roots heal and regenerate a bit. Then the real move is done 4-6 weeks later. I am in the same boat...have to move a tree with a 4" trunk and am doing this.

On moving day do the rest of the digging, hoist the rootball onto an old blanket or tarp and tie it up to keep rootball intact. Then hoist this onto a tarp and drag it over to its new hole. Or move it some other way

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 10:55:42 PM »
Thanks guys, great tips. I will see what roots look like once I dig it out if they are growing in a circle, I will rinise some dirt off or lose the root ball then replant, roots should not grow in circle since they have been growing freely in the ground. I will move it once the tree stops flowering.

Appreciated for the input guys.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 11:25:47 PM »
I have done it both ways. dugged it out and put it in a pre-digged hole and transplant it to a 15 gallon. I would do the latter for quicker recovery. Make sure to use loam soil when transplanting.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 11:43:34 PM »
Do the actual transplanting in evening. Best would be rainy time, or at least cloudy days. If you pick the right days the tree will hardly notice the transplant. Pick scorching hot days and the tree will really suffer. Once you have the tree transplanted to new hole cover it with a sheet or shadecloth for at least a couple of days to let it recooperate. Make sure to keep well watered and misted for at least a week.
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 10:50:33 AM »
Do the actual transplanting in evening. Best would be rainy time, or at least cloudy days. If you pick the right days the tree will hardly notice the transplant. Pick scorching hot days and the tree will really suffer. Once you have the tree transplanted to new hole cover it with a sheet or shadecloth for at least a couple of days to let it recooperate. Make sure to keep well watered and misted for at least a week.

Very good ideas that I will use for moving my tree.....I have no shade cloth so I'll throw an old blanket over the tree. Though if it is windy it will help topple it. How about a wet blanket? An old sheet will do.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 11:40:41 AM »
Pre-digging helps.  You are pruning the roots. Dig the sides and down a bit as you see fit to establish a rootball. Keep the tree well watered to help roots heal and regenerate a bit. Then the real move is done 4-6 weeks later. I am in the same boat...have to move a tree with a 4" trunk and am doing this.

On moving day do the rest of the digging, hoist the rootball onto an old blanket or tarp and tie it up to keep rootball intact. Then hoist this onto a tarp and drag it over to its new hole. Or move it some other way

This is good advice, that's the good part.

The bad is avocados are not like say.....a pecan tree.  They are evergreen, don't have the same type of root structure like root hairs and being tropical will be subject to more moisture loss than a perennial.  For starts, I wouldn't think of doing this until fall.  If you must transplant it now as you move quickly into the warm/hot summer months I'd have another seedling to go in its place just in case you lose it.   I will only plant a perennial in the late fall or early winter if I can.  Come summer's heat the tree has a good root system and never misses a beat. 

Also,  stake so that the roots can "dig" in.   The tree must be kept stationary for a while until it becomes established.

Good luck!