Author Topic: Is my Passion Vine Self Fruitful?  (Read 883 times)

ChaseRoyall

• Tampa
    • View Profile
Is my Passion Vine Self Fruitful?
« on: October 20, 2020, 04:55:50 PM »
Hey all, I am relatively new to growing and definitely new to growing passion fruit. I picked up this vine a little under a year ago as a young plant and it’s started to flower! After reading up on pollination I went about the process of manually pollinating the vine. I did see something about yellow passion fruit not being self fruitful so I would need another vine. I’m not sure if this is true or not so some additional information would be welcome.

Additionally I’m not sure what type of vine this is. I bought it form a festival as a passion fruit vine and have no clue if it is the yellow or purple variation so any help in identifying would help. Basic I want to know if I need another vine for this plant pictured below to produce fruit or if my self pollination did the trick. Thank you!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Is my Passion Vine Self Fruitful?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 10:13:29 PM »
keep hand pollinating with its own pollen. if you can mix it up, even better.

sometimes it takes a while before they set and then hold fruit.

part of growing up

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 04:19:03 AM »
To me it looks like a yellow variety, since yellows have those red pigmented stems, and purples I think have green stems. I have two yellow flavicarpas, which have those such redder stems ,compared to those of my purple edulis plants, which are plain green. The flower should be a hint as to the general fruit color (yellow or purple). My purples bloom with visually different flowers, compared to the one  in your pic. As roblack suggested ,polinate it with its own pollen firs, just tho know if its self fruitfull. The purple ones I have ,were seed started and set fruit on their first flowers, with their own pollen, purples are generally self fruitfull ,so if your plant does not set fruit when u self pollinate a few flowers ,then it needs a partner...

ChaseRoyall

• Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 07:48:56 PM »
If it were to need a partner, would any yellow variety do, or would I need a specific type?

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 10:39:14 PM »
I have a purple possum edulis and unknown yellows (probably flavicarpas), so not a lot of reference here, but just to add some observations.  They both don't get that purple blush on the petals, just straight white.  The purple has the freckled styles and filaments, whereas the yellow does not (or at least I haven't noticed it yet).  Both can get red/purple tinge on stems, although the purple only gets it on hardened sun-exposed areas of stems.  The purple is much smaller such that our local honeybees can easily bump their butts against the stigmas.  The yellow is larger and I have to hand pollinate them since I don't have any large bees in this area.  I haven't yet had luck crossing purple onto yellow, but I've read that yellow can cross onto purple, and yellow can obviously go onto yellow, but you'd need another vine from a different seed.  Good luck with your pollination attempts and hopefully it will fruit so you can narrow down what kind it is.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 05:03:59 PM »
If it were to need a partner, would any yellow variety do, or would I need a specific type?
u need to have two genetically different plants, there are crosses between yellows and purples ,so they should be able to polinate each other.

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 06:39:24 PM »
I have several Federicks and one Panama Red and they are growing like mad. The Panama Red is flowering alot but no fruit, the Federicks havent flowered yet. Sorta in the same boat.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 08:16:03 PM »
plant pic in op looks like p. edulis. usually self fertile.

new vines flower for a while before setting and holding fruit.

fertilize and keep hand pollinating.

I'm in same boat with new Panama Red vine. It is definitely self-fertile, flowering, getting pollinated by bees and me, but still no fruit. Been through this before with PR, PP, and others. Eventually, lotsa fruit

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk