Author Topic: Bael fruit.  (Read 5896 times)

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
Bael fruit.
« on: April 30, 2016, 03:30:23 PM »
A relative brought a bael fruit a couple of weeks ago from North India where it is usually grown. Ive been trying to get a grafted bael tree for some time but its not available in or even around Mumbai. Its grown here mostly for the leaves so not propagated by grafting. Also the fruit size here is very small.

Unripe fruit. This was the smallest of the lot. The bigger one rot away when we were waiting for it to ripen and didn't keep an eye on its progress. It was twice the size of the one in picture in diameter.

After ripening.

The insides.

Since the pulp was full of fibres, its best consumed as a juice. The pulp on the inside of the shell can be scooped with a spoon and eaten directly. But I find the juice more appealing.

Tried to germinate the seeds in moist toilet paper and most of them sprouted. Now I have an excess of these.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 03:45:59 PM by nakulv1 »
-Nakul

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Bael fruit.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 04:55:43 PM »
Hi! This is cold hardy? Thank's!  :)

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 05:06:07 PM »
The fruit is from a place where the winter temperatures do fall till 5 degree celcius but not subzero and also summers are harsh with temperatures climbing up to 45 degree celcius. But I've read that bael tree also grows in the Himalayan regions where it freezes in winter. This tree is popular for surviving where not many trees do.
-Nakul

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 05:09:35 PM »
The fruit is from a place where the winter temperatures do fall till 5 degree celcius but not subzero and also summers are harsh with temperatures climbing up to 45 degree celcius. But I've read that bael tree also grows in the Himalayan regions where it freezes in winter. This tree is popular for surviving where not many trees do.
Thank's! And do you know how long it takes to fruit from seed?

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 05:28:52 PM »
May take 7 to 10 years or so I've read. I will try to get a grafted one or procure scions and use the seedlings as rootstocks to minimise the waiting.
-Nakul

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 05:31:31 PM »
May take 7 to 10 years or so I've read. I will try to get a grafted one or procure scions and use the seedlings as rootstocks to minimise the waiting.
Thank's!  :)

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 03:51:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing! I have some seeds that I soaked and planted, but no sign that they have sprouted as yet. I am hoping by this summer I will see something.

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 04:19:26 PM »
Mine sprouted in about a week when kept in moist paper in a zip lock bag. Maybe because those were fresh seeds and its summer here.
-Nakul

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 12:11:37 PM »
Mine sprouted in about a week when kept in moist paper in a zip lock bag. Maybe because those were fresh seeds and its summer here.

I don't know how fresh the seeds I bought were. And, I did not really help the seeds much to sprout. This is our dry season, so I just soaked them overnight and then put them in the ground in an area that gets a little water from a soaker hose. I didn't scarify the seeds or anything. I figured if they want to come out on just a little water, fine, but if they want to wait for the rainy season in a little while, that is fine with me too. Hopefully at least one will sprout, because it seems like such a cool tree with a very beneficial fruit!

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 12:45:51 PM »
I just checked the pack and found that all the seeds have sprouted. Wasn't expecting 100% results. Thought it would be difficult to get even a couple to start. Yours too should start soon. All the best.
-Nakul

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 02:23:34 PM »
I just checked the pack and found that all the seeds have sprouted. Wasn't expecting 100% results. Thought it would be difficult to get even a couple to start. Yours too should start soon. All the best.

Yay! Thanks, I hope so!

Congrats on your 100% germination! :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 07:18:41 PM »
Have a bael tree growing. Getting to about the size it should start fruiting soon. It's an interesting and very unusual tasting fruit. Worth growing. But be forewarned, the tree is extremely thorny.
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 12:19:49 AM »
But be forewarned, the tree is extremely thorny.

Even on the lower trunk? Never noticed on the ones in Sri Lanka. They look like regular trees. Perhaps there are different subspecies as indicated by fruit shapes and sizes?To be honest have been dealing with adult trees only, never inspected branches from up close as trees were too tall.  Our fruits falls when ripe, so one doesn't have to deal with thorns.

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 05:14:25 AM »
Went to the nurseries to buy a grafted variety of bael but only found the ones grown through seed if the nursery them. Noticed those huge thorns even on small plants. The thorns were like an inch long if not longer. Nover noticed that on bigger trees but maybe because that was a long time ago that I've seen one.
-Nakul

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 03:12:30 PM »
Good luck with it! I was surprised how good fresh Bael fruit is. A bit like eggfruit, orange rind and black pepper. Its a bit strong, but would make a killer addition to a smoothie.
- Jared
Check out my youtube series, Weird Fruit Explorer:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UChsbD6Clp-ZPqKwXJR3V7DQ

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 05:59:43 PM »
Good luck with it! I was surprised how good fresh Bael fruit is. A bit like eggfruit, orange rind and black pepper. Its a bit strong, but would make a killer addition to a smoothie.
They make bael fruit smoothies in Thailand. Yes indeed very good!
Oscar

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 05:41:28 PM »
Have a bael tree growing. Getting to about the size it should start fruiting soon. It's an interesting and very unusual tasting fruit. Worth growing. But be forewarned, the tree is extremely thorny.
Did your bael fruit tree fruit yet Oscar?  Where is the origin?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 10:35:00 PM »
Not yet, but haven't checked it in a while. Started it from seed. Forget the source. Might be from seeds i brought from India.
Oscar

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2017, 06:52:18 AM »
Not yet, but haven't checked it in a while. Started it from seed. Forget the source. Might be from seeds i brought from India.
Do you have a long dry season for it to fruit?  According to https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/bael_fruit.html
I'll be happy to graft it onto my small tree.  It should fruit here in Phoenix no problem  ;D

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 10:46:32 PM »
Do you have a long dry season for it to fruit?  According to https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/bael_fruit.html
I'll be happy to graft it onto my small tree.  It should fruit here in Phoenix no problem  ;D
No long dry season here. We often don't even get a short dry season, and that might be a problem. Other areas in Hawaii, like Kona, would no doubl be a lot better for this fruit. Lost many seedlings in the beginning to slugs, which can be a big problem here due to consistent rainfall.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 10:48:24 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2018, 02:11:54 PM »
I bought bael seeds from India and Thailand on ebay(I know the risks).  They did arrive with postage from Indian and Thailand.   The Indian seeds germinated in about a month, but the Thai seeds from two different sellers didn't.
Have you tried both Indian and Thai bael fruit?  Which one taste better?  What's the difference?

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2020, 04:02:17 PM »
No long dry season here. We often don't even get a short dry season, and that might be a problem. Other areas in Hawaii, like Kona, would no doubl be a lot better for this fruit. Lost many seedlings in the beginning to slugs, which can be a big problem here due to consistent rainfall.

Is your bael tree evergreen or deciduous?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2020, 05:37:25 AM »
I bought bael seeds from India and Thailand on ebay(I know the risks).  They did arrive with postage from Indian and Thailand.   The Indian seeds germinated in about a month, but the Thai seeds from two different sellers didn't.
Have you tried both Indian and Thai bael fruit?  Which one taste better?  What's the difference?
I've eaten bael in both India and in Thailand. The ones i had in Thailand were bigger and better tasting.
Oscar

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2020, 04:22:09 PM »
A relative brought a bael fruit a couple of weeks ago from North India where it is usually grown. Ive been trying to get a grafted bael tree for some time but its not available in or even around Mumbai. Its grown here mostly for the leaves so not propagated by grafting. Also the fruit size here is very small.

Unripe fruit. This was the smallest of the lot. The bigger one rot away when we were waiting for it to ripen and didn't keep an eye on its progress. It was twice the size of the one in picture in diameter.

After ripening.

The insides.

Since the pulp was full of fibres, its best consumed as a juice. The pulp on the inside of the shell can be scooped with a spoon and eaten directly. But I find the juice more appealing.

Tried to germinate the seeds in moist toilet paper and most of them sprouted. Now I have an excess of these.

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2020, 05:52:25 PM »
Bael tree roots spread all around 30' or so. Many plants from the roots emerge. I have propagated few root originated plants for few people from Bombay 15 years ago or so. Please note that I am not soliciting any business but only telling you that the best way to propagate bael plant is from plants growing from that tree's roots. You propagate root plants after the monsoon season is over. Bael trees grow very well in the Deccan and the coasts. Like Oscar mentioned the fruits I have seen there are smaller than the ones you published. I do not remember consuming the fruit nor the juice so can't comment on it.
Please check about the possible TOXIC EFFECT ON THE LIVER after consuming bael fruit too often. PM sent.