Author Topic: 2019 MBBS (mango bacterial black spot) Report  (Read 5821 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
2019 MBBS (mango bacterial black spot) Report
« on: May 13, 2019, 01:57:47 PM »
It seems like this has been a low disease pressure year for mangoes here in FL. So far, no MBBS on any of my trees. Crops seem like they're be a little early this year compared to last, which could help in mitigating disease.

Anybody with MBBS yet?
Jeff  :-)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 MBBS (mango bacterial black spot) Report
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 04:04:24 PM »

None so far. Saw them on Lemon Meringue and Bailey's Marvel last year. LM looks clean this year. Not been a good year for BM ; not many mangoes.

Had a couple of Florigon mangoes ripen and fall. Dwarf Hawaiian looks almost ready.

When is Sunrise usually ready?

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 06:28:06 PM »
It seems like this has been a low disease pressure year for mangoes here in FL. So far, no MBBS on any of my trees. Crops seem like they're be a little early this year compared to last, which could help in mitigating disease.

Anybody with MBBS yet?

Two fruits of my lemon zest mangoes have advanced MBBS just as it begun to ripen and I eliminated some more that seem to have early symptoms of it. 10 less mangoes so far.  :( There are still plenty though. If it gets bad, I'm just gonna top work it to two new Zill cultivars.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 06:30:44 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 07:34:34 PM »
You sure it's MBBS? I have 3 LZ trees loaded with fruit (hundreds in total), and think I only saw one MBBS infected fruit this year. Last year I had a few dozen.

Anybody with MBBS yet?

Two fruits of my lemon zest mangoes have advanced MBBS just as it begun to ripen and I eliminated some more that seem to have early symptoms of it. 10 less mangoes so far.  :( There are still plenty though. If it gets bad, I'm just gonna top work it to two new Zill cultivars.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 07:35:52 PM »
Sunrise is July if memory serves.

If these mangoes hurry up and ripen before the onslaught of rain, maybe we can avoid the worst part of MBBS.

Curious to hear Alex's report.

None so far. Saw them on Lemon Meringue and Bailey's Marvel last year. LM looks clean this year. Not been a good year for BM ; not many mangoes.

Had a couple of Florigon mangoes ripen and fall. Dwarf Hawaiian looks almost ready.

When is Sunrise usually ready?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 10:41:33 PM »
After last season several large,  badly infected trees were cut to stumps. Numerous smaller trees were also stumped and topworked. I also got on top of the spray program early. These steps combined with a dry early fruit development period seem to have resulted in clean fruit up to this point on smaller trees, included infected varieties badly afflicted last year (Ah Ping and Mario). However, at this point last year my fruit appeared pretty clean as well aside from those two , then the rains came and that was that. The rains are here now in palm beach county, and we’re probably going to break some May records.

I’ve been harvesting fruit since mid-March, but the Edward have started to come in quantity over the last couple weeks. I’m now seeing mbbs/rot levels comparable to last season at this point in time for Edward. This is a likely indicator that moderately to highly susceptible varieties will see their crops impacted *as the fruit nears/reaches maturity*.

Also seeing mbbs really bad on our largest Super Julie tree by the way. I had suspicions about that one last year but this year it’s really taking off on it. Shame. Might be topworking that one after the season is over, and we have a couple of them.

I have hope for early season varieties that are moderately-to-highly susceptible, but I think mid and late season stuff that falls into those groups are pretty much doomed.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 10:42:23 PM »

Anybody with MBBS yet?

Some of our LZ fruit are already getting it as well.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 11:19:40 PM »

Anybody with MBBS yet?

Some of our LZ fruit are already getting it as well.

That sucks. So far, my glenn, carrie, coconut cream and pickering mangoes are clean. I wonder what other top tier Zill mangoes are more resistant to this disease.
Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 11:23:41 PM »
You sure it's MBBS? I have 3 LZ trees loaded with fruit (hundreds in total), and think I only saw one MBBS infected fruit this year. Last year I had a few dozen.

Anybody with MBBS yet?

I've seen many pictures of MBBS infected mangoes. It is MBBS. :( I do remember loosing a few LZ fruit to this disease a few seasons ago the last time it held fruit, but most of them were in great shape.  Hopefully, this doesn't continue to spread onto other healthy LZ fruits on the tree. By eliminating the infected fruit like I recently did, hopefully it will increase the chance of having a good healthy LZ crop. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:51:03 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 09:55:27 AM »
OK. Thanks for the report.

After last season several large,  badly infected trees were cut to stumps. Numerous smaller trees were also stumped and topworked. I also got on top of the spray program early. These steps combined with a dry early fruit development period seem to have resulted in clean fruit up to this point on smaller trees, included infected varieties badly afflicted last year (Ah Ping and Mario). However, at this point last year my fruit appeared pretty clean as well aside from those two , then the rains came and that was that. The rains are here now in palm beach county, and we’re probably going to break some May records.

I’ve been harvesting fruit since mid-March, but the Edward have started to come in quantity over the last couple weeks. I’m now seeing mbbs/rot levels comparable to last season at this point in time for Edward. This is a likely indicator that moderately to highly susceptible varieties will see their crops impacted *as the fruit nears/reaches maturity*.

Also seeing mbbs really bad on our largest Super Julie tree by the way. I had suspicions about that one last year but this year it’s really taking off on it. Shame. Might be topworking that one after the season is over, and we have a couple of them.

I have hope for early season varieties that are moderately-to-highly susceptible, but I think mid and late season stuff that falls into those groups are pretty much doomed.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2019, 09:25:18 AM »
No MBBS on Angie, Pickering, Maha Chanok (green), and Honey Kiss (green).  But I'm in what's generally a disease-free zone--1/2 mile from the ocean.
John

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2019, 09:32:26 AM »
No MBBS on Angie, Pickering, Maha Chanok (green), and Honey Kiss (green).  But I'm in what's generally a disease-free zone--1/2 mile from the ocean.

3 of those 4 (Angie, Pickering, honeykiss) are resistant to it as best as we can tell. Mbbs is very active in coastal zone and actually probably started there (hypoluxo/Manalapan).

Super Julie is getting hammered for me this year. I’ll try to remember to take pics.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2019, 10:01:45 AM »
So far, I've only had a few LZs on one tree get it this year. My super julie are squeaky clean.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2019, 11:30:44 AM »
Southern Blush, Haden, Lemon Zest, are quite impacted--- in dry weather, little-to-no irrigation, coastal zone.

Last year, Burmese and Thai mangos, except Pim Sen Mun, were noticeably infected:  Elephant-Tusk, Po Pyu Kalay, Nam Doc Mai, and less on Chocanon and  Pram Kai Mea.

This year I have found MBBS on only two trees of Po Pyu Kalay, while ten or so are still clean.  The worse affected is a tree at the top of the hill, solitary, wind-whipped.

Last year, the first part of the crop of Kent and Keitt to reach near-maturity were destroyed by MBBS and various rots. After switching to every-other-day SANITATION-HARVESTING of problem trees, the remainder of the crop was slightly spotted and picked a little sooner than one would prefer, or even clean and well-matured.

My general impression is that nutritional sprays of Potassium Silicate, Kelp, and various Copper products, Chelated Calcium, and Boron, improve plant resistance.

And spray with Oxidate (Hydrogen Peroxide, with stabilizers suitable for plants, and approved for "organic production") can improve sanitation.  This is way too DANGEROUS for persons who are ignorantly cavalier about following precautions as specified on labels--- the concentrate can cause instant blindness and severe skin burns and open holes in clothing.  While mixing, one must have rubber apron, rubber boots, heavy rubber gloves, safety glasses and plastic face shield.  AFTER you are finished mixing, then the spray is very safe--- you'd probably be fine with safety glasses and a Speedo!

Vigilant sanitation-harvesting, only of problem trees, beginning as fruits near maturity, seems to make the most difference.  (A quick glance/ spot check of the other trees every couple of weeks will determine if any of those should be checked more.)  Look at both front side and back side of fruits, and check where they are touching each other and where they are touching branches.  Remove any with even the smallest raised, shiny-coal-black spot.  These fruits will be great for the world's many and varied recipes that call for green mangos.
Har

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 02:57:03 PM »
Thanks for the update. You guys are getting nailed up there. How often are you spraying with copper? This year, I'm on a strict fortnightly schedule.

Southern Blush, Haden, Lemon Zest, are quite impacted--- in dry weather, little-to-no irrigation, coastal zone.

Last year, Burmese and Thai mangos, except Pim Sen Mun, were noticeably infected:  Elephant-Tusk, Po Pyu Kalay, Nam Doc Mai, and less on Chocanon and  Pram Kai Mea.

This year I have found MBBS on only two trees of Po Pyu Kalay, while ten or so are still clean.  The worse affected is a tree at the top of the hill, solitary, wind-whipped.

Last year, the first part of the crop of Kent and Keitt to reach near-maturity were destroyed by MBBS and various rots. After switching to every-other-day SANITATION-HARVESTING of problem trees, the remainder of the crop was slightly spotted and picked a little sooner than one would prefer, or even clean and well-matured.

My general impression is that nutritional sprays of Potassium Silicate, Kelp, and various Copper products, Chelated Calcium, and Boron, improve plant resistance.

And spray with Oxidate (Hydrogen Peroxide, with stabilizers suitable for plants, and approved for "organic production") can improve sanitation.  This is way too DANGEROUS for persons who are ignorantly cavalier about following precautions as specified on labels--- the concentrate can cause instant blindness and severe skin burns and open holes in clothing.  While mixing, one must have rubber apron, rubber boots, heavy rubber gloves, safety glasses and plastic face shield.  AFTER you are finished mixing, then the spray is very safe--- you'd probably be fine with safety glasses and a Speedo!

Vigilant sanitation-harvesting, only of problem trees, beginning as fruits near maturity, seems to make the most difference.  (A quick glance/ spot check of the other trees every couple of weeks will determine if any of those should be checked more.)  Look at both front side and back side of fruits, and check where they are touching each other and where they are touching branches.  Remove any with even the smallest raised, shiny-coal-black spot.  These fruits will be great for the world's many and varied recipes that call for green mangos.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2019, 04:52:38 PM »

Terrible to see this even in such dry conditions.

For some varieties it just doesn’t seem to matter.

Our Thai mangos are largely clean so far. We’ll see what happens when they start to ripen.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2019, 07:12:47 PM »
Yikes. That's nuts. What are all those sap spots from? Some sort of insect pest?

Our Thai mangos are largely clean so far. We’ll see what happens when they start to ripen.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2019, 07:22:53 PM »
Here's what all of my super julies look like this year. Didn't get more than a dozen or so though.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2019, 07:48:29 PM »
Mango trees holding fruit over here look clean so far.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 09:02:06 PM »
what kinda mango that be?

Mango trees holding fruit over here look clean so far.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2019, 09:53:28 PM »
Squam, I haven't seen anything like that second photo.
Har

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2019, 10:19:23 PM »
Yikes. That's nuts. What are all those sap spots from? Some sort of insect pest?

Active bacterial spot lesions oozing gummosis

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2019, 10:30:13 AM »
Nuts! I've never seen that.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2019, 09:36:24 AM »

Me neither.
Looks really nasty.
Hope folks will post experience with limiting this scourge.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2019, 10:28:24 AM »
Yah, and I'm still trying to determine the long term impact in different microclimates. What's weird is that I've had MBBS for several years (since 2011 / 2012 or so?) on a keitt whose entire crop would be lost pretty much every year (it wasn't until around 2017 that I finally figured out what was causing it). Yet, it's still been only a minor issue in my orchard of 30 some mango trees. This year, I've only really seen it on one of my LZ trees, where it's been an issue on less than 10% of the crop. I'm still not sure which of various factors has prevented its wide scale spread across my orchard: fortnightly copper sprays, keeping the trees well fertilized, microclimate factors, lack of rain this year, ...?

Me neither.
Looks really nasty.
Hope folks will post experience with limiting this scourge.