Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 528733 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #1675 on: August 08, 2020, 03:31:15 PM »
Was this ppk die back?

planted Feb

April (no fertilizer was applied)

Now

At first I thought maybe it was die back because i was kind of ill formed but in retrospect as I've gained knowledge i think instead it was more transplant shock. After watching Hars video on rootbound plants I made sure the roots where trimmed pruned and cut to my satisfication. I knew in my mind there is not nar 1 root that is pointed inward. That analogy of roots can't straighten themself back out like a worm resonated with my countryfied self
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 03:43:50 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

evelin

• Hungary
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: August 10, 2020, 07:12:47 AM »
Evelin,
What kind of fertilizer have you put around your potted mango?

Guanabanus,
I mixed general soil with acid fertilizer, the pH level around 6,5-7.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: August 10, 2020, 07:51:22 AM »
I planted a 7-gal Lemon Merengue tree last fall as a replacement for a sick Lemon Zest that I was never able to recover - in the same spot. The LM is showing the exact same issues as the LZ was before I pulled it. It’s in a row of trees that includes a healthy Kesar, M-4, and Fruit Punch, two of those just 10 feet away. They are growing in the same conditions and receiving the same treatment but this LM has just gone downhill since planted and has not improved with repeated applications of 8-3-9 fert, minors, cheated iron, or foliar sprays. For this reason, I am inclined to think this is some type of disease. Would it be possible that there was some kind of disease in the area left behind by the lemon zest that infected the lm? I would like to pull this tree out to see if I can nurse it back to health at my home (this tree is at my old house that I still take care of), what would be recommended to do that? More importantly, I would like to replace the tree with a different cultivar but I am concerned to plant something else in the area. Is there anything l should do to prevent issues with whatever I plant there?

PS. I did cut that diseased center branch just after taking these pics.
Some grass around your tree looks like it may have gotten herbicide or for some reason is yellowed, just a possibility.
Lots of house builders use a special mined compaction fill I think it is a byproduct of limerock mining. I am building and the builder specified 24 inches of fill that was also highly compacted with a huge vibratory roller, they tested and got near to 100%. I plan on completely removing the stuff where I intend to plant better trees. I have noticed other folks with problems close to a house foundation. Just a thought.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: August 10, 2020, 10:40:24 AM »
I'm having an issue (or issues) with a few of my potted mango seedlings (all around one year old). The last growth flush was during that week or so of daily heavy afternoon rains here on the coast of SW FL a month or so ago. Several of my seedlings had fungal issues on the new growth. Others that did not have obvious fungal issues pushed leaves that were yellow and/or had ripples in the leaf surface. Other seedlings in the exact same soil/containers/location pushed healthy new growth without issue, so I put it off on fungus. Unfortunately the latest flush finds those seedlings that had issues still having problems. Here are photos of what I'm seeing:

Mustard-yellow leaves with small amounts of green

Green leaves with very large ripples across the leaf surface, new flush looks pretty healthy so far

Pineapple Pleasure with 3 issues: very washed-out yellow leaves, rippling, and what looks like fungus damage

Ice Cream on the right with washed-out leaves and rippling

Alphonso seedling with little rippling, but no green in the current or last flush

I mixed a little less than a tablespoon of Osmocote Plus into each container back in February and I've been giving all a dose of 5-1-1 fish fertilizer each month or so. Anybody know what I'm dealing with here?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: August 10, 2020, 06:07:51 PM »
JakeFruit,

Rippling is an identifying characteristic of many mango varieties.  Some mango varieties, such as Keitt, have flat leaves.

I see multiple mineral deficiencies, probably including Iron, Sulfur, Calcium, and Copper.  Try adding gypsum and a mix of chelated micro-nutrients.
Har

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: August 11, 2020, 12:37:14 AM »
Thank you Har and pineislander for your help.

Har, you actually came to do a consultation at my place a couple of years ago and did recommend tiger 90 at that time. I think I may not have been using enough (a handful for each tree, twice a year), so I will increase the frequency and amount applied. I have already done one heavy application the week after you recommended but haven’t noticed any improvement yet.

Pineislander, that area on the side of my house was used for storage before I got into this hobby so I had removed the soil there and filled it with sand covered by cypress mulch, which is mostly decomposed but you see a little bit is left. Here is a pic of it.

The grass is grass that grew over from the neighbors side and is dead because I had covered it with cardboard to kill it in the area near the trunk. I will be sure to keep an eye on the roots and the foundation, thanks.

The

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: August 11, 2020, 07:21:05 AM »
JakeFruit,

Rippling is an identifying characteristic of many mango varieties.  Some mango varieties, such as Keitt, have flat leaves.

I see multiple mineral deficiencies, probably including Iron, Sulfur, Calcium, and Copper.  Try adding gypsum and a mix of chelated micro-nutrients.
Thanks Har. All these seedlings (Pineapple Pleasure, Ice Cream, Alphonso) had typical-looking leaves before this problem arose, but I'm sure you are right about the nutrient deficiency being the problem. I still have another year or so before I have their final in-ground planting spots figured out. Do you have a recommendation for a time-released fertilizer that works well for potted mangoes?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: August 11, 2020, 08:00:14 AM »
JakeFruit,

Thanks Har. All these seedlings (Pineapple Pleasure, Ice Cream, Alphonso) had typical-looking leaves before this problem arose, but I'm sure you are right about the nutrient deficiency being the problem. I still have another year or so before I have their final in-ground planting spots figured out. Do you have a recommendation for a time-released fertilizer that works well for potted mangoes?

There is at least one thread about what osmocote is best to use.
- Rob

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: August 11, 2020, 12:07:35 PM »
For potted plants, a fully coated, slow-release fertilizer is better than quick release.  Among those, Calibercote and Nutricote and a couple of others, tend to be more expensive, and better too, than Osmocote.

With careful, sparing, monthly use, an inexpensive quick-release fruit-tree fertilizer, such as the Rare Fruit Council's 8-3-16, or Excalibur's 8-3-9, work quite well in containers.

Palm fertilizers work well for most fruit trees in the ground, but often harm potted plants.  I use Helena 8-2-12 a lot around trees in the ground, but I have hurt potted ones with it.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: August 11, 2020, 12:19:13 PM »
Fruit Grower,
Spread Tiger-90 on the entire area of ground within twice the radius of the canopy, with enough so that the granules are practically touching each other, for the initial corrective dose.

For maintenance, spread 1-3 times as much Tiger-90 as you do fertilizer.

Results will probably not be apparent for a couple of months.
Har

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: August 11, 2020, 12:36:37 PM »
Fruit Grower,
Spread Tiger-90 on the entire area of ground within twice the radius of the canopy, with enough so that the granules are practically touching each other, for the initial corrective dose.

Har, You gave me similar advice a few months back, just a follow up question. How often would you suggest reapplying the Tiger 90 as follow up/maintenance after the initial dose?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: August 11, 2020, 01:05:33 PM »
As often as you use a fertilizer.
Har

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: August 11, 2020, 01:45:25 PM »
Fruit Grower,

Thank you!!

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: August 11, 2020, 06:12:58 PM »
Here's what I found at the local Big Earth Supply for $30 per 50lb bag. They made the mix specifically for the local Rare Fruit Council, it says it feeds for up to 3 months. What it doesn't say on the bag is the application rate for a potted tree. Any guesses on what would be a safe application rate based on pot or trunk diameter?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: August 11, 2020, 10:40:40 PM »
A monthly application on a small mango in a 3-gal. pot: one level teaspoon, well spread over most of the soil surface, but not touching the trunk.  Rounded up teasppon if the plant is over 2 feet tall.

For mangos, that mix is a bit heavy on ammonium and urea.  If the leaf wax starts to look as though it has melted and run down a couple of millimeters, look for a different fertilizer.
Har

tirandaz

• USA,FL,Grant,10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: August 11, 2020, 11:24:46 PM »
That is Internal Breakdown.   It is from bad nutrition--- too much Nitrogen and not enough Calcium, and possibly not enough Boron.

Thank you , is it ok for me to put lime around the trees , if so how much per tree , what should I  add to supplement Boron ? The trees are 4 yrs old 

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: August 12, 2020, 08:37:28 AM »
A monthly application on a small mango in a 3-gal. pot: one level teaspoon, well spread over most of the soil surface, but not touching the trunk.  Rounded up teasppon if the plant is over 2 feet tall.

For mangos, that mix is a bit heavy on ammonium and urea.  If the leaf wax starts to look as though it has melted and run down a couple of millimeters, look for a different fertilizer.
Thanks again Har!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: August 12, 2020, 09:20:52 AM »
Keep in mind when fertilizing potted plants with any type of fertilizer,  the amount of watering and/or rain will have an impact on effectiveness and life of the fertilizer.
- Rob

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: August 12, 2020, 09:28:54 AM »
Tirandaz,
Use Gypsum, Calcium Sulfate.  Unlike lime, gypsum doesn't raise the pH;  raising pH tends to tie-up many nutrients.
Har

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: August 12, 2020, 10:25:57 AM »
Keep in mind when fertilizing potted plants with any type of fertilizer,  the amount of watering and/or rain will have an impact on effectiveness and life of the fertilizer.
If we aren't getting any rain, I aim to give them a 15 minute soak from my well irrigation every 3 to 4 days this time of year (crazy hot and humid), I back off to watering once a week when we cool off. Does that sound about right? Would you fertilize monthly year round with the same amounts each time or back off in the winter? 

tirandaz

• USA,FL,Grant,10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: August 12, 2020, 12:33:59 PM »
Tirandaz,
Use Gypsum, Calcium Sulfate.  Unlike lime, gypsum doesn't raise the pH;  raising pH tends to tie-up many nutrients.

Thank you Har  ,  someone at the nursery had recommended   oyster shells what  are thoughts about that ?
How do I supplement Boron ?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: August 12, 2020, 02:35:23 PM »
Whole oyster shells would not be helpful.

For Boron, one usually uses a mixed granular fertilizer, or a micro-nutrient mix, which contains Boron.  Read the labels.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 02:37:26 PM by Guanabanus »
Har

tirandaz

• USA,FL,Grant,10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: August 12, 2020, 10:32:36 PM »

For Boron, one usually uses a mixed granular fertilizer, or a micro-nutrient mix, which contains Boron.  Read the labels.

Can I use washed crushed regular sea shells?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: August 13, 2020, 02:19:43 AM »

Similar to oyster shell you'd be adding Calcium Carbonate. The pH would rise from this addition compounding micronutrient lockup.

For a resolution, gypsum is the cheapest, most available option.

tirandaz

• USA,FL,Grant,10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: August 13, 2020, 12:09:17 PM »

Thanks