Author Topic: For sale or trade: Asimina triloba, California grown  (Read 3500 times)

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
For sale or trade: Asimina triloba, California grown
« on: September 21, 2018, 06:41:27 PM »
Hey everyone,

Got a whole grip of Asimina triloba seeds that are from a mix of fruits that are cultivated varieties and seedlings of cultivated varieties.  All the varieties are from the KSU breeding program, Susquehana, Sunflower, etc..

Fruit was grown in Santa Clara Valley, California and I can confirm it was all delicious fruit.  Grew out seeds from last year and had fantastic germination.

10$ for 20 seeds minimum, shipping not included.
Open to negotiation on larger quantities and very open to trades. 

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 03:37:49 PM by nattyfroootz »
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
Re: For sale or trade: Asimina triloba, California grown
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 07:05:13 PM »
Sorry to say that Pawpaw (Acimina triloba) is not a tropical fruit.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 07:13:55 PM »
Dang it, so used to being on this side of the forum that I completely forgot. Sorry about that mods, could you potentially move this into temperate for me?
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 06:14:32 PM »
Hmm... wonder if pawpaws could be an outdoor plant here... how much summer heat do they need?  They're hardy to ~-25°C, aren't they?  We usually only get down to -15°C, so that's no problem; it's heat requirements that are usually the issue here.

If I could do them as an outdoor plant I'd be interested in any of the low-annonacin KSU cultivars (Sunflower, Wabash, Potomac, Zimmerman,
Wells, etc).  Not sure which would be the most suitable / tasty.  I think Sunflower was the lowest annonacin cultivar that they tested, followed closely by Wells, if I remember right.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 06:23:22 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 06:22:03 PM »
Hmm, guess this is a "no" for my climate:

https://www.sfgate.com/homeandgarden/goldengategardener/article/San-Francisco-climate-not-the-best-for-pawpaw-3178485.php

"To bear sweet fruit, pawpaw requires at least moderate summer heat. As with many fruits, this is calculated in heat units, the number of hours above a certain base - in the case of pawpaw, 50 degrees. Pawpaw needs 2,200 heat units while it is developing fruit. ... San Francisco ... is about 1,550 heat units."
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 10:33:43 AM »
You could peruse the KSU website for additional info (sometimes I find the stuff on sfgate to be dubious) but you're probably right.

That's a shame, since it's such a cool plant and fruit. It's really unique compared to the other commonly-grown Annonas.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 11:44:43 AM »
Sent an inquiry about whether there are any cool-summer cultivars to the (IMHO ironically named) Sheri Crabtree at KSU  :)

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 12:35:57 PM »
Sheri is great....Sometimes it can take a bit for a response due to her workload.

There are some cultivars selected in cooler US areas like Michigan and even some from Ontario (I think NC-1?).
Then i guess there are early season cultivars that may require fewer "heat-units"
If I recall correctly I think KSU-Benson is considered early. If you check out nuttrees.net (Cliff England Nursery) he has some varieties that he describes as very early.

Cheers!

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 11:08:32 AM »
Oh, very cool. Report back on your findings on the low heat intensity fruits. I live in Santa Cruz now and I have lost a significant amount of heat from where I used to live, haha.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 12:27:53 PM »
KarenRei, any word back from KSU?

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 04:52:14 PM »
Just heard back this evening  :)

-----------

Hi Karen,

The earliest ripening pawpaw varieties or varieties requiring the fewest heat units to ripen are Pennsylvania Golden, and KSU-Benson.  I do not believe either of those would ripen in as cool a summer climate as you have in Reykjavik however. They have trouble ripening even in the pacific northwest region of the US, with average July high temps of ~24C.  If you were to experiment with them though, I would try Pennsylvania Golden, Prima which is widely grown in northwest Europe so I believe may be more tolerant of cool summers; or KSU Benson (but I don’t believe any European nurseries have Benson in stock yet). 

Soil heating helps germination and growth but I don’t know that it would help fruit ripening- that hasn’t ever been tested. If you do give it a try please let me know how they do there!

Thanks,
Sheri

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 05:08:26 PM »
Cool, thanks for sharing!