Author Topic: Seeking info on M-4 mango  (Read 47935 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking info on M-4 mango
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2018, 05:41:37 PM »
So should any dooryarder who was thinking about planting a Coco Cream scratch it off the list for the sake of M-4 instead?

Yes, definitely...or wait for E4 aka Sugarloaf.  Both E4 and M4 are better than Coconut Cream in terms of taste and tree's growth habits.  Coco Cream tend to get overripe quickly and ferment.
- Rob

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2018, 05:52:45 PM »
So should any dooryarder who was thinking about planting a Coco Cream scratch it off the list for the sake of M-4 instead?

Yes, definitely...or wait for E4 aka Sugarloaf.  Both E4 and M4 are better than Coconut Cream in terms of taste and tree's growth habits.  Coco Cream tend to get overripe quickly and ferment.

Thanks. 👍👍👍🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2018, 06:37:44 PM »
I don't have any of these in production yet but I suggest CC over E-4 and M4 if picking between them.  I do rate E4 and M4 slightly ahead on taste but indications are production on both has been sketchy at best for some people.  Early days yet.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2018, 06:59:57 PM »
Mango trees grow much slower in SoCal compared to south Florida...but M-4 is ridiculously sad on turpentine rootstock.   Zero growth in 1 year... Not even 1 bud.  I saw my friends trees as well and they were the same or worse (dead from dieback).
I recall hearing that M-4 is no longer propagated by Zills HPP.  So I guess our next goal is to see how M-4 does on Manila rootstock.

Waren, my M4 was sick and I hacked it hard, now its growing well., it is on Ataulfo and original turpie. it droops on turpentine. growth is slow, but we should not judge growth from last year as I got no growth on most mangoes due to fruits and wierd weather. this year we lost all mangoes and we are on flush # 3 or 4 already with 3.5 months to go. I found my Phoenix to be horribly slow grower.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2018, 07:36:45 PM »
I don't have any of these in production yet but I suggest CC over E-4 and M4 if picking between them.  I do rate E4 and M4 slightly ahead on taste but indications are production on both has been sketchy at best for some people.  Early days yet.

Before making comments on production, one should grow them all and/or compare on an even keel playing field (you cant compare and comment on trees that are neglected and/or cut back to wherw they physically cant bloom).  Not only does Coco Cream have vegetative growth issues but it akso needs extended years befire it starts setting fruit consistently.  It also is very simar to Carrie in that it goes to mush and basically rots quite quickly.  It has a very poor shelf life.  I have seen trees in both Palm Beach and Martin Counties do very well setting and holding their fruit based on their age.

Oh, and the taste of both the "4s" is way more complex and overall better than Coco Cream.  I think I am repeating myself...
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2018, 10:39:43 PM »
the Sugarloaf trees look more productive than Coconut cream. M-4 at a minimum looks a lot more precocious than Coconut cream and in “on” years the original tree’s yields are extremely heavy. It’s a better mango frankly and so is Sugarloaf, which is much more consistent than coconut cream and seems more forgiving about when it is harvested.

I kind of wish the “coconut cream” name had been saved for one of those two rather than C-20.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2018, 02:52:32 AM »
the Sugarloaf trees look more productive than Coconut cream. M-4 at a minimum looks a lot more precocious than Coconut cream and in “on” years the original tree’s yields are extremely heavy. It’s a better mango frankly and so is Sugarloaf, which is much more consistent than coconut cream and seems more forgiving about when it is harvested.

I kind of wish the “coconut cream” name had been saved for one of those two rather than C-20.

I had heard Sugarloaf had a pineapple flavor profile & had named after the white pineapple of the same name.  Is that accurate?  From the discussion it sounds like Sugarloaf has either a coconut or pina collada profile.  Thanks.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2018, 07:38:39 AM »

I had heard Sugarloaf had a pineapple flavor profile & had named after the white pineapple of the same name.  Is that accurate?  From the discussion it sounds like Sugarloaf has either a coconut or pina collada profile.  Thanks.

I would not always focus on a name (Peach Cobbler does not taste like peaches in any way...a better name would have been either Oh Too or Tangerine Dream).  Oh, and Ugly Betty...named after the TV character...

The base flavor of E4 aka Sugarloaf is coconut (the name that was originally kicked around was Mounds).  As I had stated, E4 (as does M4) has a complexity to it that Coco Cream doesnt and that is an acidic component.  Its not tart in any way but just has a touch of acidity to liven the taste sensation.
- Rob

MANGOJOY

• CORAL SPRINGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2018, 11:09:02 AM »
I tasted about 3 sugar loaf –E4 mangoes.  It does not taste like coconut cream mango to me. It’s more like pineapples.  One of them with white flush tasted to me is a mix of sweet and sour pineapple.  One of them with light yellow flush tasted to me like sour pineapple.  And the third one was perfect it was like a sweet pineapple.  They had more pineapple flavor than the pineapple pleasure mango. There was a significant variation in the taste from mango to mango. It’s because they may not be picked or ripens at the perfect stage.  Its flush has some white color and pineapple flavor, but not sweet as the sugar loaf pineapple. Its taste may not be good as a perfect coconut cream mango but is unique.  I like to grow this mango tree because it’s unique flavor.  I never tasted the m4 mango.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2018, 11:56:50 AM »
If your evaluation is correct for all the fruit trees being grown, that would be a downer. I have an M-4 and if it tastes like pineapple, that tree will be gone the next day. 

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2018, 12:09:45 PM »
If your evaluation is correct for all the fruit trees being grown, that would be a downer. I have an M-4 and if it tastes like pineapple, that tree will be gone the next day.

He said E-4, not M-4.

As far as this E-4/Sugarloaf tasting of pineapple, I think this is largely due to a combination of the fruit being picked very green coupled with people cutting it on the less-ripe side out of eagerness to sample it.

E-4 that are harvested when they break “yellow” color and ripened in a couple days taste distinctively coconutty.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2018, 12:10:18 PM »
I tasted about 3 sugar loaf –E4 mangoes.  It does not taste like coconut cream mango to me. It’s more like pineapples.  One of them with white flush tasted to me is a mix of sweet and sour pineapple.  One of them with light yellow flush tasted to me like sour pineapple.  And the third one was perfect it was like a sweet pineapple.  They had more pineapple flavor than the pineapple pleasure mango. There was a significant variation in the taste from mango to mango. It’s because they may not be picked or ripens at the perfect stage.  Its flush has some white color and pineapple flavor, but not sweet as the sugar loaf pineapple. Its taste may not be good as a perfect coconut cream mango but is unique.  I like to grow this mango tree because it’s unique flavor.  I never tasted the m4 mango.

Yes, proper harvest time is a problem with mangoes that basucally stay green.  When properly picked, the E4 will have a pale yellow flesh and can even have a hint of texture that some may deem as minimal fiber (as does Pickering).

While I agree it is not the Hawaiin Tropic coconut flavor found in the Coco Cream but is definitely coconut.  I do find it odd that you detected no coconut with your E4s.  I can only think harvesting issues were the cause.  In the same respect, what flavors did you detect in the Pineapple Pleasure?  Harvest with this fruit also olays a role but in any event, the flavors in ever one I have ever gad have been pineapple, just ranging from tart to super sweet with an acidic balance.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 12:15:27 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2018, 12:21:26 PM »
I know he said E-4 Squam.  But they seem to be pretty comparable from what has been written.

MANGOJOY

• CORAL SPRINGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2018, 02:05:27 PM »
Yes, it does have some coconut flavor but does not taste like coconut cream mango.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2018, 02:15:55 PM »
I have never noticed coconut flavor in any mango.

I much prefer M-4 over Coconut Cream and over E-4/Sugarloaf.  I don't think the flavors of any of these resemble each other.
Har

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2018, 03:20:46 PM »
Yes, it does have some coconut flavor but does not taste like coconut cream mango.

Correct,  E4 does not the same type of coconut flavor as Coco Cream...and E4, M4 and Coco Cream do not all have the same flavor profiles.
- Rob

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2018, 06:54:47 PM »
Good news to me!  Hope M-4 lives up to all the hype.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2018, 08:56:28 AM »
For someone to suggest growing C.C over E-4 or M-4 is simply uneducated in growing the tree. The C.C is a nightmare and literally grows sideways falling all over the place. I have seen many with the same problem. I dug it up and sold it 5 years ago.  I will be giving my M-4 about 4 years to show it's value and take my chances. If flavor is good, it stays. Do not care about alternate bearing if the flavor is great, I have 6 more trees to take up the slack.

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2018, 11:48:37 PM »
Glad to hear the positive reports on the M-4. I got a single fruit, which I'm guessing was picked too early. I though I let it ripen up enough but I suppose I did not.  It wasn't bad, but I could tell after it was open that it was not fully ripe. I'm hoping to try another one next year. I bought a tree based on the reports and will hold onto it and hope for the best!

John

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2018, 08:47:36 AM »
Yeah that's one green mango!  Even my squirrels wouldn't have touched that one.
John

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2018, 01:37:51 PM »
Is it true that M4 tastes like an improved keitt?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2018, 01:47:47 PM »
Is it true that M4 tastes like an improved keitt?

No...it is coconut based, strong flavored complex profile with a sweet and subacid balance.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2018, 02:21:08 PM »
My Pickerings have always had a coconut flavor and been very sweet.  How is it different than Pickering?
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2018, 02:30:25 PM »
My Pickerings have always had a coconut flavor and been very sweet.  How is it different than Pickering?

No comparison.   M4 is more complex, subacid component and more intense flavor.   Will take M4 over Pickering any time.
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2018, 01:47:54 AM »
This is a delicious mango, coconuty flavor going on and much.....it’s moved into my top 10