Author Topic: what kind are these? Store bought.  (Read 1210 times)

ThangBom321

• TX Zone 9b
    • View Profile
what kind are these? Store bought.
« on: July 10, 2018, 11:24:48 AM »
My family and I have been binging on fruit for the last few months. I have had fazes where we would eat lots of one kind of fruit then get tired and move on to the next. This is a good thing as fruit season changes throughout the year. I really don't know my fruit season but I do know when they are on sale and cheaper than regular. he he 

Anyhow, I'm a fan of the Adolfo (honey/champagne) mango due to there sweetness, no fiber, and cheap (3/$1). However, they have a simple taste. To me, they have a slight hint of mango taste with just about no acidity and sweet like table sugar. My wife likes the other big mango. I don't know what type they are the reason for this post. they are big, and 1/$1 right now. They have minimal fiber, sweet when fully ripen/soft to the touch. They are not as sugar sweet like the Adolfo and have more acidity, more mango-ish flavor. I know store bought mango are junk compared to what can be grown but they are cheap and still taste good to us.

My 2 Mango trees have doubled in size since I bought them. I plan to keep them in pots forever if possible. The bigger one is a Cogshall. The smaller one is a Nam Duc Mai whic was only 12'' tall when I bought it. The local Nursery said that's as big as they are able to order due to high demand. The place they order from don't have time to let them grown bigger. People just snatch them up.

What kind of mango is this?

These are my 2 mango trees trees. I think I would like to add another one that is prolific and compact like the Dwarf Hawaiian but, I can't find one and the wife probably will not approve of another plant.

YzGyz

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: what kind are these? Store bought.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 11:36:46 AM »
mangoes look like keitt.
Jeff  :-)

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 11:43:06 AM »
you can somtimes see which variety it is if the grocery store stocks the cases out...should be marked on the end of the box...if dont see any cases out you can always ask an employee which variety it is by having them look at the box

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 11:44:05 AM »
I would say Kent. 
- Rob

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 11:47:33 AM »
I would say Kent.

By looking at the sticker and chexking their website, it "should" be either a TA, Haden or Kent...so I am sticking with Kent.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 12:29:10 PM »
You're right. The side profile is kent.
Jeff  :-)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 01:35:33 PM »
By the way the mango you like is call Ataulfo not Adolfo, I like it too, they smell like honey! 😊
El verde es vida!

ThangBom321

• TX Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 08:08:27 PM »
Thanks everyone. Now I have 2 bars to compare other mangos to. I read and have watched lots of vids on different mango, but I have no bases to compare them to other than store bought ones. Now that I know the name and flavor of the two, I can somewhat paint a better picture. Thanks all