Author Topic: Just ate my first Poshte (aka Cawesh) Annona scleroderma  (Read 8330 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Just ate my first Poshte (aka Cawesh) Annona scleroderma
« on: April 24, 2015, 03:55:12 AM »
Just got to taste my first poshte (Annona scleroderma). The trees have fruited a couple of years already but the fruits got stung by chalcyd wasp. I netted some of the fruits last year but too late as they get stung quite small. This year i managed to get a bag on one in time. The taste was surprisingly good. Really delicious. The fruit was already blackened on the outside and i thought it was probably over ripe.  But it was just perfect inside. The taste is like cherimoya, mixed with apple sauce, and a tiny bit of lemony taste. A perfect balance of sweet and a tad of tart, so that the taste is not overly sweet, like some cherimoyas. Much more juicy than cherimoya and the texture is softer. As you can see the pulp is yellowish. This fruit is probably smaller than normal.
Oscar

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Re: Just ate my first Poshte (aka Cawesh) Annona scleroderma
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 04:28:43 AM »
Thanks for picture Oscar. Bel afia*

So, do you think Poshte deserve more attention and research to commercialize it ?.

PS "Bel afia" means "I wish this meal benefits your body."
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 04:32:14 AM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 04:32:51 AM »
Thanks for picture Oscar.

So, do you think Poshte deserve more attention and research to commercialize it ?.
Yes! Definitely deserves more attention. Very tasty fruit. I just don't know how productive the tree can be in commercial farms?
Oscar

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 06:11:42 AM »
looks tasty, did you hand pollinate?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 06:15:26 AM »
looks tasty, did you hand pollinate?
No i didn't, but probably should have, would have got lots more fruit. It made a ton of flowers.
Oscar

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 06:20:57 AM »
Tasty looking!
You make fruit photography a real art, only problem is how jealous they make me!
I ordered cawesh a couple weeks back maybe on of those seeds in that very fruit will be in my hands soon enough, cant wait!:D:D:D
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 07:57:26 AM »
Just got to taste my first poshte (Annona scleroderma). The trees have fruited a couple of years already but the fruits got stung by chalcyd wasp. I netted some of the fruits last year but too late as they get stung quite small. This year i managed to get a bag on one in time. The taste was surprisingly good. Really delicious. The fruit was already blackened on the outside and i thought it was probably over ripe.  But it was just perfect inside. The taste is like cherimoya, mixed with apple sauce, and a tiny bit of lemony taste. A perfect balance of sweet and a tad of tart, so that the taste is not overly sweet, like some cherimoyas. Much more juicy than cherimoya and the texture is softer. As you can see the pulp is yellowish. This fruit is probably smaller than normal.

When did your tree started flowering? I have a four year old twenty five feet tree with a nine inch Diameter and I am still getting no flower.  I have two other Oscar Seedlings 15 feet & similar diameter no flowering yet.  Any thought on inducing flowering for these guys; zinc sulphate did nothing for it compares to whitman fiberless!  It thrives in my cocquina sandy soil amd make for a fantastic landscape upper canopy tree highly cold & windy resistant than muricata & thrive on neglect; over watering & underwatering make no different in its fast growth!  Maybe they will be all Samurai fifth years for underperforming to make room for Oscar Giant Camieto?😆
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 08:18:07 AM »
There is a big one in a Council park near me and it gets hundreds of fruit that can be quite big.No one seems to pick them and they fall on the ground on big numbers at times.I think the flesh is paler than Oscars from what I remember.There is prejudice against them here with many favoring other Annonas.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 09:35:33 AM »
Very nice looking ftuit Oscar!,  use to have a tree about 1.5meters growing well and suddenly die for unknown  reasons,  I remember reading somewhere  that this fruit doesn't  get mommify by Chalcid Wasp because the thick skin but apparently as you mention is not the case...
El verde es vida!

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 09:50:54 AM »
I got a number of Annona scleroderma seedlings - but they just don't grow. I'm not sure why - have not moved an inch since they sprouted - but they do look healthy.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 10:01:13 AM »
I got a number of Annona scleroderma seedlings - but they just don't grow. I'm not sure why - have not moved an inch since they sprouted - but they do look healthy.

Add leaves compost with worm cast or goat and or rabbit droppings which accelerated their growth for me; do not keep them damp. Almost pure sand loam was my potting soil during their seeding stages!😃

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 11:03:48 AM »
congrats Oscar!

(also thanks for letting us know the info we got about Posh te's resistance to chalcid wasp is BS)

how tall is your tree?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 04:06:41 PM »
Gorgeous fruit - and I love my fruit soft, so that sounds like a winner. How big was the tree when it started fruiting?

Sorry to hear about the wasps ruining all your crop last year and most this year. :(
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 05:27:32 PM »
Very nice looking ftuit Oscar!,  use to have a tree about 1.5meters growing well and suddenly die for unknown  reasons,  I remember reading somewhere  that this fruit doesn't  get mommify by Chalcid Wasp because the thick skin but apparently as you mention is not the case...

The skin of the poshte is not so thick, and yes they all get nailed by the wasp....just as bad as reticulata.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 05:31:21 PM »

When did your tree started flowering? I have a four year old twenty five feet tree with a nine inch Diameter and I am still getting no flower.  I have two other Oscar Seedlings 15 feet & similar diameter no flowering yet.  Any thought on inducing flowering for these guys; zinc sulphate did nothing for it compares to whitman fiberless!  It thrives in my cocquina sandy soil amd make for a fantastic landscape upper canopy tree highly cold & windy resistant than muricata & thrive on neglect; over watering & underwatering make no different in its fast growth!  Maybe they will be all Samurai fifth years for underperforming to make room for Oscar Giant Camieto?😆

The trees now are 6-7 feet tall. They started flowering when about 5 feet tall. They got very little fert. But in your case suggest trying potassium sulfate (0-0-50) to try to stimulate flowering.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 06:27:08 PM »
Wow I thought it would have been much taller!

I have a 6-7 ft tree I need to show some love!!!

I've been neglecting it....until now!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 06:37:35 PM »
Wow I thought it would have been much taller!

I have a 6-7 ft tree I need to show some love!!!

I've been neglecting it....until now!

They would be a lot bigger except that i planted them in very bad soil. Really just a pile of lava rock with a bit of trucked in soil and mulch on top.
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 08:41:39 PM »

I still have 2 trees doing very well , they have been flowering for 2 years ( flowering in July here ) one is overgrown by a passionfruit vine . I read the same thing Raul about not being affected by this wasp . But since in the US of A everything is better and bigger probably their wasps can do the job .

My trees are 10 years old now from seeds from Guatemala and the Yucatan , close to 4 meters . Sorry to say also totally neglected , I never even watered them.

Congrats Oscar .
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 08:48:46 PM by luc »
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 10:49:49 PM »
Oscar,

your post inspired me to immediately up size the pot for my A. scleroderma.

neglected in a 7 gal pot...root bound as can be...I think it's been in this pot for a good 2-3 yrs. (definitely a slow grower for me)

showing the roots before repotting

placed into a 15-20gal pot, with Fafard 3B as potting mix.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 11:54:40 PM »
Fruit looks yummy Oscar 8)

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 10:47:11 AM »

The trees now are 6-7 feet tall. They started flowering when about 5 feet tall. They got very little fert. But in your case suggest trying potassium sulfate (0-0-50) to try to stimulate flowering.

Ok Oscar I will stop pissing on it every night & chase my dogs away from making after hours bank deposits!  I think I over fertilized these trees, potassium sulfate it is!😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015, 11:00:35 AM »

I still have 2 trees doing very well , they have been flowering for 2 years ( flowering in July here ) one is overgrown by a passionfruit vine . I read the same thing Raul about not being affected by this wasp . But since in the US of A everything is better and bigger probably their wasps can do the job .

My trees are 10 years old now from seeds from Guatemala and the Yucatan , close to 4 meters . Sorry to say also totally neglected , I never even watered them.

Congrats Oscar .

Ok Luc I am game for genetic, please post your results about the two races you have when fruits ripe; I will be very interest in getting seeds in future to expand my Poshte collection.  Perhaps your variances could offer a thicker skin than Oscar!  Yes you are correct everything arriving in US seem to get bigger so we end up with bigger bugs for export back to your country so our Monsanto can sell you more toxic to solve your bigger nightmare!  Seriously please keep an eyes out for thick rind varieties for me.  That way I am prepare when this Oscar Improved Hawaiian Chalcid Wasp invasion start on the mainland; sooner if he offers at his site!😃🐝
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 11:29:55 AM by Coconut »