Author Topic: Nam doc mai #4  (Read 5337 times)

morris4000

• USA, Orlando, FL 32801 Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Nam doc mai #4
« on: July 16, 2012, 02:01:11 PM »
How does the nam doc mai #4 compare to the regular nam doc mai in taste? etc?

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Nam doc mai #4
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:55:31 PM »
In taste and fruit size they are indistinguishable to me. A regular NDM tree grows more quickly than NDM #4 and the #4 seems to set more fruit. NDM #4 seems to be more prone to fruit splitting and I've seen conjectures like too much fertilizer nitrogen, soil conditions and variable water availability while maturing fruit to explain this.
Richard

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 09:55:09 PM »
In taste and fruit size they are indistinguishable to me. A regular NDM tree grows more quickly than NDM #4 and the #4 seems to set more fruit. NDM #4 seems to be more prone to fruit splitting and I've seen conjectures like too much fertilizer nitrogen, soil conditions and variable water availability while maturing fruit to explain this.

I have had people tell me that they can tell the difference between them, but I certainly can't. To me they taste like the same fruit also.

And on the #4 splitting more than the original NDM...this has been my observation as well. Richard Campbell swears otherwise.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 10:14:11 PM »
My observation is consistent with NDM4 being more prone to splitting, but it seems to affect the early crop to a much greater degree. The NDM4 seems to poop out the first crop super early, and 90% of them split. The summer crop seems to fare better.

Dr Campbell also said that there was a failed non-#4 NDM planting in Homestead. The owners yanked the orchard due to lack of production. However, non-#4 NDM the trees in my housing tract (4 of them) all produce heavy crops year after year. The major difference is that the #4 is way more precocious. There must be some sort of soil issue going on. Homestead has really poopy soil (if you can call solid limestone rock soil). Here in Broward we have ghetto soil too, but it's quite a bit better than Homestead soil.

I have had people tell me that they can tell the difference between them, but I certainly can't. To me they taste like the same fruit also.

And on the #4 splitting more than the original NDM...this has been my observation as well. Richard Campbell swears otherwise.
Jeff  :-)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 11:52:12 PM »
how Many NDM mango numbers are there?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 01:24:54 AM »
My observation is consistent with NDM4 being more prone to splitting, but it seems to affect the early crop to a much greater degree. The NDM4 seems to poop out the first crop super early, and 90% of them split. The summer crop seems to fare better.

Dr Campbell also said that there was a failed non-#4 NDM planting in Homestead. The owners yanked the orchard due to lack of production. However, non-#4 NDM the trees in my housing tract (4 of them) all produce heavy crops year after year. The major difference is that the #4 is way more precocious. There must be some sort of soil issue going on. Homestead has really poopy soil (if you can call solid limestone rock soil). Here in Broward we have ghetto soil too, but it's quite a bit better than Homestead soil.

So my current ndm blooms are going to be the less-prone-to-splitting summer crop? There are 3 large blooms on it now and other terminal buds are swelling.
Alexi

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 01:44:57 AM »

So my current ndm blooms are going to be the less-prone-to-splitting summer crop? There are 3 large blooms on it now and other terminal buds are swelling.
No, your current blooms would be the summer crop...splitsville if its gonna happen.
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 12:21:05 PM »
Oh. Lets see what happens this season.
Alexi

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 02:41:02 PM »
Current blooms should be fine. The ones that seem to split are the ones that flower like in early Nov.

Jeff  :-)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 04:43:33 PM »
Current blooms should be fine. The ones that seem to split are the ones that flower like in early Nov.

Oh okay. Thanks for the good news. :) I'm not fertilizing it and I'm watering it once every two weeks if it hasn't rained for a while.
Alexi