Author Topic: !!! UPDATE YOUR LOCATIONS !!!  (Read 5933 times)

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
!!! UPDATE YOUR LOCATIONS !!!
« on: September 21, 2012, 01:03:40 PM »
Being a member of Tropical Fruit Forum it is VERY important that you provide your location information.

It is impossible to answer questions or gain knowledge about what you are growing if members cannot tell your growing conditions. 

Also, if you wish to buy, sell, or trade materials it is also a requirement for each party involved to know the specifics regarding the transaction (local laws, shipping/distance, permits, etc.....).

PLEASE be kind and follow the steps below to update your profile info!

1. Click "Profile" in Dark Green Bar below TROPICAL FRUIT FORUM Logo.
2. Select "Forum Profile" from drop down menu.
3. Scroll to the bottom of page and enter information in last white box marked "Location"
4. Click "Change Profile" and you have saved the information into your profile!

When you are finished your profile will contain your location information.

In the past members have posted the information under custom text fields and other places.  By entering your information into this area your location will be able to be added to the member search feature where others can find you by zone, state, zip code, and country.

New members will be prompted to enter this information at sign up, unfortunately us old timers have to do it ourselves!

Thank you for your continued support as we further develop the forum!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 01:07:47 PM by pj1881 (Patrick) »

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: !!! UPDATE YOUR LOCATIONS !!!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 02:00:33 PM »
Thanks that will help a lot.   

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 07:02:51 PM »
Glad to see you updated!

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 10:50:33 PM »
Glad to see you updated!
Was it not showing up before? I have always had it listed and my location on the map. Was going to list my fruit plants today, but I will do that another day.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 11:06:01 AM »
Good to see members updating their locations. 

Reminder:  don't forget to remove your city/state & zone from your custom text unless you want it to show up above & below your avatar.
Tim

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 07:40:18 AM »
Just a reminder, your location info is vital to Tropical Fruit Information!! Please provide as much info as you can!!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 05:38:58 PM »
Just a reminder, your location info is vital to Tropical Fruit Information!! Please provide as much info as you can!!

You should be deleting those who don't!   8) 8) 8)

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 12:34:14 AM »
For me it would be apreciated if people also name the continent that they are living.

For americans write USA and also the full name of the state so we don't have to search what thing like Socal mean.

Or for example Reunion Island, i have to Google first to know anything about it, never heard of it before.

About what zone's we are: I still don't know what zone i am in. I guess something like 13 but the USA zone system does not even contain the real ultra tropics. And if Bangkok is 13 then what zone is the south of Thailand? It sure is more humid there.

I met some americans that thought that Holland is the capital of Amsterdam. Or that Bangkok is somewhere in China or so. I think it is good if users first mention the continent and then country/state that they are in.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 12:37:21 AM by bangkok »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 01:53:48 AM »
You have a good point about state abbreviations as people outside of USA will not understand them. But Reunion is the name of a country. It is an island country, so by definition is not on a continent. So how can the continent be named? OK you could name closest continent, like Africa? But it's not really part of Africa. Sometimes you just will have to google if you don't know all the countries.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 02:47:25 AM »
Okay well maybe this website needs a button next to the username and if we click that button we can see the place or origin on the google-map?

I also googled reunion island before but i thought it was in the ocean near India, i don't want to Google it again though.

Also i think this website needs to have a broader system to name the climate-zone you are in. We can make higher numbers or extensions to tell if it is humid or dry besides  the temperatures. The climate-zone system used now is only made for the USA and there it is nowhere ultra-tropical while this is the website for tropical fruits worldwide.

Also i would like to see a pic when somebody opens a thread of a fruit i have never heard of. Maybe we can have a list of all existing tropicalfruits with thumbnails and when somebody starts a thread then select the fruit from the list so we all can see it?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 05:36:47 AM »
Okay well maybe this website needs a button next to the username and if we click that button we can see the place or origin on the google-map?

I also googled reunion island before but i thought it was in the ocean near India, i don't want to Google it again though.

Also i think this website needs to have a broader system to name the climate-zone you are in. We can make higher numbers or extensions to tell if it is humid or dry besides  the temperatures. The climate-zone system used now is only made for the USA and there it is nowhere ultra-tropical while this is the website for tropical fruits worldwide.

Also i would like to see a pic when somebody opens a thread of a fruit i have never heard of. Maybe we can have a list of all existing tropicalfruits with thumbnails and when somebody starts a thread then select the fruit from the list so we all can see it?

Your first wish already exists. For example, i clicked on your addy Bangkok and i see the google map with your exact location. Your third wish is a bit of a fairy tale dream.  ??? ::) Do you realize how many tropical fruits there are? Very many thousands! Nice fantasy though.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 09:23:52 AM »
Yes we have the button to click and see the location but if i click on your name then i have to zoom out of google maps 5 times to see where Hawaii is exactly.
Also it is funny that whole Russia is first called Asia and when you zoom in it suddenly is named Russia.

I didn;t know there are thousands of tropical fruits, why we always write about the same ones then? You have to promote (sell us) more fruit-species Oscar  ;D

I saw a list of all fruits in Australia but i can't find it anymore, it was a huge lists and they all grow in Oz.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 05:52:26 PM »
Yes we have the button to click and see the location but if i click on your name then i have to zoom out of google maps 5 times to see where Hawaii is exactly.
Also it is funny that whole Russia is first called Asia and when you zoom in it suddenly is named Russia.

I didn;t know there are thousands of tropical fruits, why we always write about the same ones then? You have to promote (sell us) more fruit-species Oscar  ;D

I saw a list of all fruits in Australia but i can't find it anymore, it was a huge lists and they all grow in Oz.

OK, if clicking a button 5 times is too much work for you i don't know what to say to you. :o  :o Yes it's true about the fixation on certain fruits. We have discussed this fixation before on this group.  I think it was Adam that brought it up. But then again he seems also fixated on jaboticabas.  ;) It seems a vast majority on this group are mangophiles. I think that is understandable given that most members are from Florida and mango is one tree that grows very well in their limestone/sandy soil. Other fruits are discussed as well, maybe just not as much. The great thing about the forum is you can choose what threads you choose to read and which ones not. But you also seem mostly fixated on mangos!
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 07:01:44 PM »
Anybody seen the silver platter??   ::) ::)

If you can read all the posts on this site, you should also be able to take the time to google...if used correctly, google is a wonderful thing.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 08:25:54 PM »

If you can read all the posts on this site, you should also be able to take the time to google...if used correctly, google is a wonderful thing.

Thought the saying is that he wants to be fed with a silver spoon? I agree, google is awesome, one of my favorite tools on the internet.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 09:50:02 PM »

Thought the saying is that he wants to be fed with a silver spoon? I agree, google is awesome, one of my favorite tools on the internet.
Yes, that is one idiom and the idiom I was referring to was, "hand to on a silver platter".  For the most part, the meanings are the same.
- Rob

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 10:25:19 PM »
For me it would be apreciated if people also name the continent that they are living.

For americans write USA and also the full name of the state so we don't have to search what thing like Socal mean.

Or for example Reunion Island, i have to Google first to know anything about it, never heard of it before.

About what zone's we are: I still don't know what zone i am in. I guess something like 13 but the USA zone system does not even contain the real ultra tropics. And if Bangkok is 13 then what zone is the south of Thailand? It sure is more humid there.

I met some americans that thought that Holland is the capital of Amsterdam. Or that Bangkok is somewhere in China or so. I think it is good if users first mention the continent and then country/state that they are in.

Look at his map: http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/#
Highest rating is 13b, meaning never goes below 65F or 18C (probably another frustrating thing for you when americans use fahrenheit system ;D) I'm pretty sure it does not get below 18C in Bangkok, so you are in 13b. The same rating for all the points south.  Humidity is not considered. There is no zone 14.
When you click on Puerto Rico you see coastal area is 13b, higher in mountains different ratings. When you click on Hawaii you can see that highest is 13a meaning it goes to 60F or 15C. Its gets cooler there because Hawaii are at the edge of tropics.
By the way Reunion island is not a country. Its territory of France. Entry/exit requirements the same as visiting France

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 10:36:56 PM »
Strange because unlike other territories of France all mail to Reunion goes directly there from here, without having to go through France first.
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 10:42:25 PM »
Strange because unlike other territories of France all mail to Reunion goes directly there from here, without having to go through France first.

From Hawaii to Reunion it's probably easier to re-route mail via Pacific not Atlantic.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 10:46:34 PM »

From Hawaii to Reunion it's probably easier to re-route mail via Pacific not Atlantic.

Mail from here is just like any continental US mail, as it goes there first. Anyway what i was actually referring to is that there is no mention of France in any address that i get in orders from  Reunion.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 10:52:16 PM »
Take lychee for example.

Lychee will not fruit in Zone 13b in BKK because it is not humid enough (i guess).

In south Thailand it fruits well (also in Chiang mai north Thailand) so for lychee it is not easy to say in which zone it will fruit. That's what i mean with we need a broader zone-system.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 10:56:12 PM »
Take lychee for example.

Lychee will not fruit in Zone 13b in BKK because it is not humid enough (i guess).

In south Thailand it fruits well (also in Chiang mai north Thailand) so for lychee it is not easy to say in which zone it will fruit. That's what i mean with we need a broader zone-system.

Reason lychee will not fruit in Bangkok has nothing to do with humidity level. They like high humidity. The real reason is they need some cool weather in winter and you don't have that. The lychees being grown in southern Thailand are special tropical types, not common lychee, and also don't fruit very well there. Even in Chiang Mai many years it doesn't get cool enough and the lychee crops fail.
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 11:05:25 PM »
Take lychee for example.

I'm in the same boat as you. It never gets below 18C at my place, so can't grow lychee :(  On the other side Seebatat Pulasan is better than lychee I think. Should do very well in BKK.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 12:34:17 AM »
Take lychee for example.

I'm in the same boat as you. It never gets below 18C at my place, so can't grow lychee :(  On the other side Seebatat Pulasan is better than lychee I think. Should do very well in BKK.

I will go to singapore to buy a seebabat next year. I found a gardencentre that sells them grafted.

I thought south Thailand is also Zone 13 just like BKK but lychee grow/fruit there and not here. It is also more humid in the south but must be colder then some parts of the year to make lychee fruit.