Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283573 times)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #425 on: June 12, 2015, 11:11:12 AM »
Nice review Brett. I would note that Fruit Punch is actually a seedling of Zill-80. Not that Kent couldn't have been the pollinating parent though.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 12, 2015, 11:13:55 AM »
Nice review Brett. I would note that Fruit Punch is actually a seedling of Zill-80. Not that Kent couldn't have been the pollinating parent though.

Maybe he was referring to the fact that Zill 80 is a seedling of Kent?
- Rob

Zeeth

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 12, 2015, 11:30:33 AM »
Fruit punch sounds like it'll be a very popular cultivar among collectors once it's released. Would those of you who've tasted it rate it with the "top tier" mangoes like LZ and CC? (I call those top tier based on what I've heard from others)

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 12, 2015, 11:44:43 AM »
Zeeth,

I have only tried one Fruit Punch. It is a VERY tasty, very sugary and intense mango. To be it doesn't quite have the intensity of "burst" of flavor as Sweet Tart.,.. but close. But FP packs more flavor "punch" almost any mango I can think of.

Right now, at this moment... if you place a CC, LZ and FP on the table... I would reach for the Fruit Punch. So yes its "top tier."  But maybe because its is brand new and exciting for me. My preference may change. But I do feel that the FP deserves to be on the same table. I bet most people would like it very much.

That being said, the CC and LZ both have this one-of-a-kind... magical... "I can't believe this is a mango" kind of flavor... that, to me, the Fruit Punch does not have. The Fruit Punch tastes like an amazingly good mango - turned up a notch.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 12, 2015, 12:39:46 PM »
Sorry Brett but I totally disagree with that assessment.  As you said, Fruit Punch is definitely in that "top tier" group (keeping in mind that in general, tastes are subjective and different people have different tastes) however to go one step further, it has a taste like no other.  Does that mean everyone will love it, no, no such mango exists however I would be that the majority will.  To add to its plusses, the fruit size are large and the tree is very productive.

One mango that can be at the top I am having reservations about.  I am not saying I don't love it but I find from year to year and even fruit to fruit, it has some inconsistencies with respect to taste/qualities...and that is the Coconut Cream.  It also tends to go south fast when too ripe real fast and exhibits that fermented taste when others can be overripe yet still enjoyably consumed.
- Rob

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 12, 2015, 12:43:02 PM »
I know that there is very few people who have been lucky enough to try both mangoes. But how does the Fruit Punch compare to the 0-2. I know that they both have some parentage from the Kent tree. So, are the flavores anything alike and what is your favorite.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #431 on: June 12, 2015, 12:45:37 PM »
I know that there is very few people who have been lucky enough to try both mangoes. But how does the Fruit Punch compare to the 0-2. I know that they both have some parentage from the Kent tree. So, are the flavores anything alike and what is your favorite.

Not similar at all. I like O-2 a lot more.

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 12, 2015, 06:35:03 PM »
Thanks for the response Squam256. It seems the couple of people who tried the O-2 mango really like it. I just can't figure out why there is not more information on the forum about it. It think it has been out just as long the Fruit Punch or longer . It seems like only three or four people on the forum have tried one as there is little written about it and no real review of the fruit that I could find. If anybody has some pictures and could write a full review of the O-2 I would greatly appreciate it.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 13, 2015, 03:08:18 AM »
Thanks for the response Squam256. It seems the couple of people who tried the O-2 mango really like it. I just can't figure out why there is not more information on the forum about it. It think it has been out just as long the Fruit Punch or longer . It seems like only three or four people on the forum have tried one as there is little written about it and no real review of the fruit that I could find. If anybody has some pictures and could write a full review of the O-2 I would greatly appreciate it.

Isn't O-2 peach cobbler?  There has been a decent amount written on it, at least from Rob and a few others.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 13, 2015, 06:32:01 AM »
Yes, O-2 is Peach Cobbler.  There probsbly is not as much written about it due to the fact that for the most part, only people who ate it when it was still part of Gary's breeding program,  and known as O-2,  are able to tell about it.  It is not planted outand in pproduction by any grower such as Walter Zill where the general public would be able to purchsse, taste and tell about it.  If you are not fortunate to have one planted out since release and having it fruiting or you know Gary/Marlys or have been lucky enough to obtain from ZHPP,  there is little opportunity to have the chance to taste it.

I will however speak highly of its sweet almost tangerine candied flavor.  Is it a pretty mango, not at all but it makes up for it in flavor.
- Rob

Zeeth

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: June 13, 2015, 08:46:47 AM »
One mango that can be at the top I am having reservations about.  I am not saying I don't love it but I find from year to year and even fruit to fruit, it has some inconsistencies with respect to taste/qualities...and that is the Coconut Cream.  It also tends to go south fast when too ripe real fast and exhibits that fermented taste when others can be overripe yet still enjoyably consumed.

That's unfortunate about the coconut cream. I expected it to be one of the best overall because of the patent (and what I've heard). Fruit punch sounds like it might be a good one, so hopefully it's released soon.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 13, 2015, 10:34:35 AM »
still an awesome mango, though
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 14, 2015, 08:46:47 AM »
Chokanon

This half-pound (220g) Indo-chinese mango was leftover on the main table of the PB Rare Fruit Council event with Gary Zill. The primary flavor of this mango is sweet: it tastes like honey. There is a slight chalky element to the sweetness. Beyond that... there is a faint, fruity flavor that is like cantaloupe. Eating close to the rind I got little bursts of Indo-chinese resin flavor in some parts of the mango but not in others.  This is a "good" mango that I enjoyed eating, but it did not intrigue or excite my senses like other selections did.

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 16, 2015, 05:45:43 PM »
Emerald

I picked up this up at Tropical Acres mango stand next to Dreher Park in WPB. It was dark, emerald green and kinda looked like an avocado. I had to let it ripen to a bit softer than I'd have guessed to get the correct, balanced flavor - sampling it too early was shockingly tart. It stays emerald green when ripe.

The flesh was orange and fiberless. The first taste was both acidity and sweetness: a bit like orange juice or sour apple. Beneath that were an array of mellow raspberry (slightly musky) & grape flavors. Sometimes at the very end... and on other bites right alongside all the flavors... there was a superior Indo-chinese resin taste.  Afterwards there was acidic aftertaste like I'd been drinking OJ. Overall I found Emerald to be a complex mango with "excellent" flavor - the only minus point was for the aftertaste.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 06:04:16 PM by BrettBorders »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #439 on: June 16, 2015, 07:01:41 PM »
I am getting fruit to maturity on my Emerald tree this year for the first time.  It is very hard to know when the mango is at full maturity and peak ripeness.  So far, I would agree with most of your description.  However, for me, I found the mango uninspiring as far as the use of any superlatives. Maybe I am yet to find the one really perfectly ripe fruit.  Stay tuned. I have a few more to experiment with
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 16, 2015, 07:14:52 PM »
Thanks for all the great reviews Joe and Brett! Have you guys considered purchasing a refractometer? You guys already give wonderful detailed reviews and Brix readings would be awesome information to have! I'd share mine with you but alas, I'm in California.

Simon

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 17, 2015, 07:13:11 AM »
Harry,

To clarify, I found Emerald to have an excellent flavor, not a superlative or inspiring flavor (e.g., Fruit Punch http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=6398.msg207108#msg207108)

my perspective:

Was it better than most of the mangos I tried at Fruit and Spice park? Yes, definitely.

Did I enjoy Emerald's taste more than some of the mangos at Gary Zill's tasting last Friday? Yes. If it had been included in the dozen or so mangoes there, I would have ranked it in the top 5.

I thought its best feature was the resin taste, which was bold like Bombay.

---

Simon,

Thanks for the tip on refractometers. A quick google search brings up some that are under $30? Do these work?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 17, 2015, 07:51:27 AM »
I am getting fruit to maturity on my Emerald tree this year for the first time.  It is very hard to know when the mango is at full maturity and peak ripeness.  So far, I would agree with most of your description.  However, for me, I found the mango uninspiring as far as the use of any superlatives. Maybe I am yet to find the one really perfectly ripe fruit.  Stay tuned. I have a few more to experiment with

I was actually quitr confused by the description.   Sweet like orange juice or sour apples...well, sour apples, unless speaking of jolly rancher candy, is not sweet and the orange juice i drink is quite sweet.  Musky raspberry, grapes and shckingly tart.  Overall I would have pitched a fruit that tadtes like that to the scrap pile long before being completely consumed.

As for people now scraping the skin with your teeth while eating from hearing Gary speak...while some may want to sample the resinous tones as an identifier of the fruit,  it can also cause off putting flavors and in some cases, be an irritant to the mouth/throat of the person consuming.
- Rob

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 17, 2015, 09:09:49 AM »

I was actually quitr confused by the description.   Sweet like orange juice or sour apples...well, sour apples, unless speaking of jolly rancher candy, is not sweet and the orange juice i drink is quite sweet.  Musky raspberry, grapes and shckingly tart.  Overall I would have pitched a fruit that tadtes like that to the scrap pile long before being completely consumed.

As for people now scraping the skin with your teeth while eating from hearing Gary speak...while some may want to sample the resinous tones as an identifier of the fruit,  it can also cause off putting flavors and in some cases, be an irritant to the mouth/throat of the person consuming.

amen! definitely a risk/reward situation.
~Jeff

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 17, 2015, 01:47:52 PM »
Val-Carrie

I have tried Val-Carrie mangos from 3 different sources this summer and they all tasted identical. I bought this one at Tropical Acres Farms mango stand in West Palm Beach, FL:

My first impressions of this Val-Carrie were sweet and suave. Tastes like Carrie but it has another primary flavor I associate with dried apricot.  It can get creamy, too. When I got to the area right around the seed I had a brief flashback to eating Orange Creamsicles in my childhood. There is also a minor "carrot" element that suggests beta carotene content. The resin taste that comes at the end is fainter than in a Carrie, but it adds an important bit of contrast that completes this mango. There was no aftertaste. I knew it was an "excellent" mango because of how careful I was to eat every bit of it, not letting anything go to waste.

The skin of Val-Carrie looks interesting & 'slightly colorful' ripening up: you can tell it is a mixed race mango. The interior flesh texture is smooth and fine, maybe nicer than many popular mango cultivars. But not as soft as Carrie and it 'holds up' better.

Valencia Pride (top) & Val-Carrie (bottom)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 03:26:34 PM by BrettBorders »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 17, 2015, 02:12:59 PM »
Val Carrie needs to get super ripe to be at its best.  Kind of like a Pickering.
- Rob

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 17, 2015, 02:21:30 PM »
Val Carrie needs to get super ripe to be at its best.  Kind of like a Pickering.

I'll take the contrary position on this one. I vastly prefer pickering at the earlier stage of ripeness vs. super ripe. Not green and chalky like some people here love, but when it first has a bit of give to it. I find pickering at this stage to have a certain tartness/balance that I much prefer to the flavor on softer ones.

Given that Val Carrie has "Carrie" in the name, I likely won't be trying it anytime soon.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 17, 2015, 02:32:56 PM »

I'll take the contrary position on this one. I vastly prefer pickering at the earlier stage of ripeness vs. super ripe. Not green and chalky like some people here love, but when it first has a bit of give to it. I find pickering at this stage to have a certain tartness/balance that I much prefer to the flavor on softer ones.

Given that Val Carrie has "Carrie" in the name, I likely won't be trying it anytime soon.

Pickering are not supposed to be tart...to each their own.   Lol

Val Carrie is far better than Carrie.   No comparison.
- Rob

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 17, 2015, 02:34:04 PM »

That's like saying kittens are far better than Hitler.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 17, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »

Pickering are not supposed to be tart...to each their own.   Lol

+1, but even though valcarrie is an appropriate spelling, I prefer valkyrie, both because it looks cool, but more importantly, it doesn't remind me that this mango is related to carrie.  Like Jebus and Bullie, I am also a card-carrying member of the Carrie Haters Club.

Thought VC was quite good though, and I didn't let it get really ripe as advised above....will have to try it again at a riper stage, if they are still available next time I head up there.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 04:38:13 PM by gunnar429 »
~Jeff